Wanted: Low Calories Tailgating Snacks

Options
meaneyz
meaneyz Posts: 21 Member
Does anyone have any low calorie (but tasty) snack recipes? I'm going to be tailgating this weekend and want to make snacks that I can enjoy, but that others who aren't "dieters" can enjoy too. So please help me!!! Thanks!

Replies

• Paula_Addem
    Paula_Addem Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    What about homemade salsa or guacamole? You can also buy low cal wraps, cut them up and bake them to make the yummiest chips! :) Have fun!
  • smuehlbauer
    smuehlbauer Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    Sounds odd, but Spicy Crispy Chickpeas
    rinse & drain 2 cans chick peas - dry in clean kitchen towel
    toss with 2 tbsp evoo, 1tsp cumin, 1tsp smoked Spanish paprika, pinch cayenne, pinch kosher salt.
    Bake 35 min at 400 deg f on parchment lined baking sheet until browned and crisp. Shaking ban at 15 mins to toss.
    Pretty yummy!
  • Buckeybabe87
    Options
    I agree homemade salsa is always great. If you want something sweet, look for no pudge brownies and make them with pumpkin or yogurt, can't taste the difference, they are delicious! Also fresh veggies and hummus are easy to take along with you.
  • Kandy4mel
    Kandy4mel Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    pickle wraps are always good. you take a container of like buddig turkey ( use what you like best) lunch meat. take two pieces and overlap them. then you take the cream cheese of you choice and spread it on the meat. take one baby pickle put it in the middle and then roll the meat up around it. last cut it into little slices. you can make as many or as little as you want.
  • purpleprose
    Options
    I had just checked out this article from SHAPE when I saw your post - hope this helps!

http://www.shape.com/healthy-eating/on-the-go/snacks/healthy-options/host-a-healthy-football-party-best-tailgating-foods-
  • mrsdonaheღ
    Options
    Along with Salsa (which is fat free), if you're wanting to do a sweet thing you can bake brownies with applesauce instead of oil, and egg whites instead of eggs, which gives it a more cake-like texture...Low in calories and fat. Reduced fat crackers work well, too, for munchies. Good luck!!
  • brityn
    brityn Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    If you have access to a little bbq or can cook them beforehand. Take a fresh jalapeno, slice it in half lengthwise and hollow out the ribs and seeds. Fill it with 1 tbs. fat free cream cheese and wrap it with 1/2 a slice of turkey bacon and hold it in place with two toothpicks. BBQ or bake at 400 til bacon is crisp and pepper is tender....you can also slide a shrimp in between the bacon and pepper...tehy're soooo delicious!
  • Paula_Addem
    Paula_Addem Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    If you have access to a little bbq or can cook them beforehand. Take a fresh jalapeno, slice it in half lengthwise and hollow out the ribs and seeds. Fill it with 1 tbs. fat free cream cheese and wrap it with 1/2 a slice of turkey bacon and hold it in place with two toothpicks. BBQ or bake at 400 til bacon is crisp and pepper is tender....you can also slide a shrimp in between the bacon and pepper...tehy're soooo delicious!

Yum! Thanks! My husband is going to LOVE these!!
  • josparkle
    josparkle Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Sorry, can someone please educate the Brit here - what is 'tailgating'. Over here it means driving too close to the car in front and I don't think you generally want snacks for that !
  • racmac
    racmac Posts: 81
    Options
    Sparkle - i was just wondering that myself !
    There was a thread on here a while ago about the differences between UK and US which was a good read
  • meaneyz
    meaneyz Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    "Tailgating" is the practice of football fans (and other sports fans too) gathering outside of the stadium before the game to eat and drink with fellow fans. It typically happens around or outside of the back park of the vehicle, hence the name "tailgating". It's basically a party before the game. Lots of fun!
  • josparkle
    josparkle Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Thanks -it does amuse me that we use the same words to men such different things!
    It sounds fun - hope your weather is way better than ours!
  • Corrie62
    Corrie62 Posts: 191
    Options
    "Tailgating" is the practice of football fans (and other sports fans too) gathering outside of the stadium before the game to eat and drink with fellow fans. It typically happens around or outside of the back park of the vehicle, hence the name "tailgating". It's basically a party before the game. Lots of fun!

Canadian here (Saskatchewan). Love the idea of tailgating. Roughrider (our local team) fans tried to start the practice here, but were shut down. I think the home city enacted a law against it even. Booo Hissss Boooo
  • pam3046
    pam3046 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    just to let you know we also use the word tailgating to mean the same thing as driving too close to the vehicle in front of you...
    Tailgating for games is so much more fun...
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I found these awesome chips at the grocery store called baked lentil chips. There are a couple different flavors. 30 of them is 110 calories, and they are pretty good sized, like the size of a pita chip. I like those with hummus or make a french onion dip out of greek yogurt and onion dip mix.

Veggie straws are also good, taste like potato chips for the most part.

You could also make ground chicken breast sliders which are low in calories and fat.
  • etarre
    etarre Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Air-popped popcorn is pretty blah on its own, but you can get popcorn toppings in flavors like ranch and cheddar to make it a nice salty crunchy snack. Very filling too!