Saving up calories - what are your thoughts?

Options
I love real ale. It is beautiful and delicious a drink of the Gods yada yada. When I go out I like to drink a few real ales (1/2 pints because I'm a lady). I was just wondering, say I go out on the razz (that's not prostitution for those who don't know haha) and I want to have more than my daily (although I don't always have it) allowance of 100kcal beer tickets, can I save them up and have them for the weekend? Could I do the same for say a friends birthday meal?

These two things have been a massive downfall for me in terms of calorie consumption I kind of just say I've gone over lets move on, but sometimes I go the whole weekend Fri-Sun doing something everyday that involves food. Terrible I know, bad dieter!

What are your thoughts on saving calories?

I know this has already been a post, but I'd like some fresh ideas and the one that was posted wasn't exactly the same as mine.

Replies

• sbatz111
    Options
    I save up calories when I have something planned. I don't drink, but for example I am going to a county fair this weekend. I've been saving all week, because I'm eating funnel cake, no matter what!

It's not something I do all the time, but I don't think it's bad once in a while. Over time, it evens out. I think it would only be harmful if it were an everyday thing.
  • gigglesinthesun
    gigglesinthesun Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    if you are 'good' all week and then on the weekend you let it go, but you stay within your weekly calorie allowance, I wouldn't worry about it. However, if you go over your weekly allowance every weekend, you might not lose as much as you otherwise would.

In short balance is the key.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    sure, I kick butt, I do 2 to 3 hours cardio a day,
    I also fast, I eat and drink anything I want to.
    it works,
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Across that kind of time span, it's fine. The only thing I would be mindful of is making sure you get enough decent nutrition in as well, that you're not consuming so much beer that you're deficient in essential nutrients. And obviously, you need to be careful you're not exceeding your energy needs for the week and completely ruining your progress. That's easy enough to check though, especially with the app.
  • Markguns
    Markguns Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Alcohol is counterproductive to your goals give it up for awhile...
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    How do you know it's counterproductive to OP's goals? It's not counterproductive to mine, for example.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I balance my calories over the week. If I know I'm eating out one day, I'll save calories for that from other days, for example. It's not too hard to shave a few hundred calories off the week to "spend" later.
  • JustSammi
    Options
    I reply to way too many of these drinking threads but it annoys me when people say you should cut out alcohol to lose weight!

I drink around 12 whisky and diet cokes a week and have still been losing weight. I create a bigger deficit during the week, do a bit more exercise and spend the calories on the weekend. Just like saving up for a new expensive handbag. :laugh: Works for me as you can see by my ticker!

This has got to be a lifestyle change and if I can't drink with my friends at the weekend then I'd fail. :drinker:
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    If I eat (or drink!) too much one day of the week, I will specifically make an effort to eat less than usual on another day. This seems to work fine. Some people look at it as weekly calories rather than daily.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    How do you know it's counterproductive to OP's goals? It's not counterproductive to mine, for example.
    Yah....if goal is lost weight you can fit it in...if it's to be fit and healthy moderation....if it's to be sober sure counterproductive....

ETA: as long as I am within my weekly goals I am good (even sometimes go over that so the next step up is if I stay in Mainteance)
  • traceyjolli
    Options
    Yep... go for it.... Its those extra special 'On the Razz' nights that keep us going otherwise what would we have to look forward to??

I normally have a gin and slimline tonic every evening, as part of my daily allowence.... moderation is the key word.... if you cut it out completely..... you want it more and then end up bingeing!!
  • carmenmiranda1
    carmenmiranda1 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I'd agree with what people say here as well. Review what your goals are, and see if what you're doing falls in line with them.

Your goal is to lose weight, right? And in order to do that, you have to a) remain healthy, and b) do something that you can live with for the duration.

It's easy enough to say cut out alcohol full stop, but if that means that you're not going to stick with it long-term, then cutting out alcohol is counter to your goal.

Additionally, if you're not getting enough nutrients because you're cutting out too much to save up for the alcohol, then you won't be healthy, which is counter to your goal.

An occasional off day is something that is going to happen, so you have to learn to live with yourself on the days when you DON'T stick to it, and don't cut out the calories before/after. But if going out drinking is a weekly thing then you have to make sure that you don't drink so much that you're unable to make up for it by cutting out other stuff.

So find the balance you can live with. You might have to do a little of both--limiting the number of drinks you have AND cutting out calories elsewhere. You're the only one who knows what you can and cannot live with. Just make sure you get enough nutrients.
  • jenniferwgarrett3
    Options
    I have been amazed at how easy it is to log alcoholic drinks with MFP ( one food item that rarely has a calorie count on the package). To help with the calorie overload on the weekends I do 2 things. First have a glass of water between each drink. Second if I am going to a party or other such eating event I try to take along a tray of vegetables or other low cal snack ( for everyone) that I can snack on instead of calorie laden snacks. I don't really save up calories because it doesn't work that well for me.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    OP: What if I told you that you could track by week.. instead of days?

I run and pick up heavy things AND drink beer. It hasn't hampered me.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Balancing the books over a few days or a week is fine.

It works both ways - if I do a long cycle one day I don't feel the need to eat all those calories the same day.

BTW - ignore the sanctimonious "don't drink at all" comments, your diet is supposed to fit in to your life and not the other way round. Denial of things you like is a major cause of people giving up and failing to reach their goals.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Works for me.
  • Markguns
    Markguns Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Yah....if goal is lost weight you can fit it in...if it's to be fit and healthy moderation....if it's to be sober sure counterproductive....

ETA: as long as I am within my weekly goals I am good (even sometimes go over that so the next step up is if I stay in Mainteance)

I do know more than you it appears. These aren't just calories there is a metabolic effect from excessive or continued drinking. I don't see where she is talking about a single drink now and then, sounds like saving up for weekly drinking binge, and that will slow your progress. You asked for an opinion and I gave one.

Alcohol contains empty calories and has no nutritional value. Your body can't store alcohol, so it must metabolize it right away. Metabolizing alcohol, however, can have a detrimental effect on other metabolic processes.

Because your body can't store alcohol and must metabolize it right away, other metabolic processes suffer. Your body won't metabolize sugars and fats as efficiently during the metabolism of alcohol, and drinking heavily can cause your metabolism to slow. This can contribute to weight gain, as can the empty calories found in alcohol.
  • TarshCooper001
    TarshCooper001 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I live for my weekend pints!. I am an extra good girl during the week days and go to the gym like I should and generally behave but come the weekend.. I dont have one or two. I am a self proclaimed binge drinker.

I counteract this by working out still AND having a low calorie protein day on the Monday after the weekend to blow out the cobwebs and cure the body of any carb and sugar cravings before going back to my good girl ways.
    Before anyone goes and gets scientific on me- it works a treat for me.

I am patient to lose weight and over the past nine months have dropped just under 17kg (37 pounds), however, as I do not see this as a diet- but more of a way to lose weight and enjoy life at the same time.

Razz it up baby!