Lifting v's resistance bands

Options
hey everyone

after losing just over 40 kgs (90ish pounds) I think I need to do some weight training to finish toning up, but cant really afford a gym membership but I do have resistance bands, will they do a decent job (im guessing not as good as weights though)

Replies

• rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    It's all about stressing the muscle. Whether its done using steel, rubber or ones own bodyweight.
    I would suggest looking into the following resorces for some bodyweight programs
    Nerdfitness.com
    YAYOG(you are your own gym) and thier newer version, you are your own body
    You wont even need the resistence bands, but you could still use them for some supplemental moves if you so desired.

Congrats on the 90 lbs down already
  • danimumof2
    danimumof2 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    It's all about stressing the muscle. Whether its done using steel, rubber or ones own bodyweight.
    I would suggest looking into the following resorces for some bodyweight programs
    Nerdfitness.com
    YAYOG(you are your own gym) and thier newer version, you are your own body
    You wont even need the resistence bands, but you could still use them for some supplemental moves if you so desired.

Congrats on the 90 lbs down already
    thanks heaps ill check them out :happy:
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    I love resistance bands for mobility work. I've got some pretty heavy duty ones.
    That said, I can't really call any of it strength training...
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    You're still working the muscles. I used to take classes where they'd use the resistance bands and holy crap was I not only fatigued but SORE the next day.

I'm sure there are people who won't consider that to be "strength training" because you're not actually lifting up weights and tossing them around but it is because you can make the exercise as hard or as easy as you feel and you will build muscle using them. Regardless of what you're using you're still building strength.
  • JamesCooper16
    Options
    I too prefer using resistance bands. They are lot more safer and easier to use. There is no specific training required to use these bands. The way resistance bands work is similar to that of weights. Moreover, they are portable and we do not need much space to workout with them. Thus, we can travel to different places without skipping regular workouts.