5 weeks - couch potato to Tough Mudder? Possible?

Options
I may be mad, but I'm giving it a go. I'm signed up for Tough Mudder on the 25th October. My fitness level is extremely poor, pretty much non-existent. As and of last week I have started properly training for it. It hurts, but feels good too!

What I am currently doing is trying to go to a Les Mills class of some sort (usually bodypump) at my local gym 3 times a week as well as playing touch rugby one evening each week. I do a bit of cardio in the the gym before the classes, but only about 30mins. I'm hoping that next week I'll be able to get a 5km trail run in, with that jumping by 1km each week over the next 5weeks (taking me up to 10km by the time of Tough Mudder). I'm not sure how far I can run at the moment but the touch rugby involves a lot of running at speed, so I think 5km at a steady pace should be doable. I reckon that the stop/start nature of Tough Mudder means that if I can run a continuous 7 or 8 km then the running element will be doable.

What does concern me is my strength, but hopefully classes such as Bodypump, Grit etc and doing Boot Camps will help with that. By no means will I be able to complete all obstacles but I do hope to give all obstacles a good try and to complete the course (even if I have to walk parts).

Am I kidding myself? Does anyone who has completed Tough Mudder have any particular training tips? Is it possible to do it with just 5 wks of training?

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    It really comes down to 2 things...

1 - can you drag yourself over, through, under various obstacles? Can you climb over walls, crawl through ditches, etc?
    2 - can you endure the 4+ hours it's likely to take you to complete?
  • KathleenMurry
    KathleenMurry Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Your fitness level won't change a whole lot in the next 5 weeks, but every little bit counts, so keep moving. Jackson is right - it comes down to whether you can handle going at it for 4 hours. If you're running a few KM now, I don't see you running the whole thing. Yes there are "breaks" when you get to an obstacle, but they still tire you out and it's not enough of a break to help you run the next few KM fresh. I run about 35-40 miles a week, with long runs up to 21 km....I just did an obstacle race on Saturday that only had 7 KM of running in it, but 30 obstacles. Believe me, there were points where I just had to stop running and catch my breath. The obstacles wear you out.

You can probably get through it but go in with the right expectations. You'll take longer than the average person, you may have to pass on some obstacles and you'll likely need to do a lot of walking.

BUT - good for you for signing up. Seems like this event is what you needed to get your butt off the couch and THAT is the most important thing.

Have fun :)
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    It really comes down to 2 things...

1 - can you drag yourself over, through, under various obstacles? Can you climb over walls, crawl through ditches, etc?
    2 - can you endure the 4+ hours it's likely to take you to complete?

This. I had a surgery that sidelined me and only gave me 6 weeks to prepare. At the time of the event, I could only run 3 miles, but mentally there was no way I was missing out on it. It's as much mental as it is physical. There will be times when you question what the hell you were thinking, your hamstrings and calves will start to cramp up and at some point you will have to start stretching at every obstacle to keep your body loose. It's worth it and so much fun. I wouldn't continue to sign up for them, if I didn't enjoy it.

Edited for grammar.
  • kaleena1983
    kaleena1983 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I have done a Tough Mudder, and it is difficult. However, whether you're on a team or not, there will be people there to help you. There are obstacles that require assistance for 99% of the people on the course, and I never ran across a person that wasn't willing to help me or someone else. Pace yourself and have fun. It's not about your time - it's about the experience and teamwork. :)
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Well, as long as you paid, you may as well try to do it. Good luck!
  • james6998
    james6998 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Trying is a lot better than not knowing, don't you think?
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    I may be mad, but I'm giving it a go. I'm signed up for Tough Mudder on the 25th October. My fitness level is extremely poor, pretty much non-existent. As and of last week I have started properly training for it. It hurts, but feels good too!

What I am currently doing is trying to go to a Les Mills class of some sort (usually bodypump) at my local gym 3 times a week as well as playing touch rugby one evening each week. I do a bit of cardio in the the gym before the classes, but only about 30mins. I'm hoping that next week I'll be able to get a 5km trail run in, with that jumping by 1km each week over the next 5weeks (taking me up to 10km by the time of Tough Mudder). I'm not sure how far I can run at the moment but the touch rugby involves a lot of running at speed, so I think 5km at a steady pace should be doable. I reckon that the stop/start nature of Tough Mudder means that if I can run a continuous 7 or 8 km then the running element will be doable.

What does concern me is my strength, but hopefully classes such as Bodypump, Grit etc and doing Boot Camps will help with that. By no means will I be able to complete all obstacles but I do hope to give all obstacles a good try and to complete the course (even if I have to walk parts).

Am I kidding myself? Does anyone who has completed Tough Mudder have any particular training tips? Is it possible to do it with just 5 wks of training?

first and most important you know tough mudder is 10 - 12 miles not km right. i've never done tough mudder but i've done rugged maniac 3 times and i can tell you the obstacles do drain you so thinking the stop/start running nature is a good thing is not entirely true.

will you have the strength to tackle all the obstacles probably not but good for giving it a try and give it your all. you can and should ask for help when you need it.

i've got to third what jackson said if you can endure 4 hours of beating yourself up both mentally and physically you can finish the course. my first time doing rugged maniac took me 2 hours why because i had very little upper body strength. my time keeps improving each time i participate.

good luck to you.
  • ChelleBalady
    Options
    Congratulations on signing up!!!! I am registered to participate in my 2nd TM in April. My biggest suggestion is to run outside if you can, trail runs. I trained on a treadmill and found it way different. The obstacles are challenging but your team and fellow mudders are willing to give you a hand. I needed a boost to get over the walls. I trained with a trainer 3 days a week & ran 5. Pace yourself and you will do great! Have fun.
  • roma2011
    roma2011 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. Nice to get the words of support and tips! I don't expect to do it easily or quickly, and really my biggest goal is to just complete it without major injury this time around. I can see myself walking a lot of it! I'm with a team who are all in the same boat as myself training wise.

I'm terrified and excited all at once...have a feeling that this could be addictive! Am loving training for it. This is the first time in my life that I have actively trained for anything. I used to stay in work late every evening, now I rush out the door on time to get to my training. Feels great to be doing something for ME and the ache from working out is super satisfying. Long may this lifestyle change last :)
  • roma2011
    roma2011 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Thought I'd just let people know how I got on in the end. I did it! It was tough, of course, but so much fun. Certain obstacles I just wasn't able for (the upper body strength ones), but I gave a go at everything and we made it to the end as a team. Not only that, but we somehow managed a night out until 5am after it! Our time wasn't great, but like someone commented on here it isn't about the time. It was an amazing experience, with such a fantastic team-work buzz. Highly recommend it!
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your success. Spud no more!
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    That's great motivation for me - I'm doing one at the end of the month

Congrats on your success :drinker:
  • Snarkist
    Snarkist Posts: 37
    Options
    well done!
  • jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! Thanks for coming back to let us know how it went!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    TM > potato
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Getting ready for a TM? Latke training !

Meme-Potato-Lifting.png
  • mereditheve
    mereditheve Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    YES! More than possible!

Finishing a race is a mental challenge, as much as (if not more than) it is a physical one. Your strength and endurance are fueled by your willingness to keep going even when it's tough.

You'll want to train for it (races are always a little less painful that way!) and I'd recommend a combination of lifting and cardio. Log your workouts so you can see how much you are progressing, and keep with it!

Good luck and have fun!