Logging Exercise Using MFP Calculations or Not?

Options
2»

Replies

• GenoPrice
    GenoPrice Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Ya, where on earth does MFP get these estimates from??

My buddy logged an hour of "Gardening" and it said he burned like 1000 calories! Ummmm ok right!

I assumed MFP got it's estimates from info logged by other users which is stored in their database, but I could be wrong.

I have only just joined MFP but I am not going to trust their figures as I done a cycle yesterday which MFP said was close to 1400 calories but my HRM said 1100. Conversely I did C210K wk1 d1 earlier this week which MFP added up to 421 cals but my HRM said 407 so that wasn't that far out.

As other people have said it is probably best to use a HRM where possible but under estimate MFP figures when there is no other choice, like when I go swimming I will take off a third of MFP figures.
  • terrance250
    terrance250 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I only lift weights 3X a week and just skip logging the calories. It wouldn't be that much of a difference anyway, & I just look at it as a slight bump up in my caloric reduction/deficit for the day.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    I'm really confused. I have seen several people talk about eating the calories they burn back. Are you suppose to do that?

yes
  • Isakizza
    Isakizza Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I adjust my calories burned manually to be where I need them, since I do eat them back.

Basically I maybe only log 1/2 of what MFP says. Another great option it to just go with TDEE method, then it really doesn't matter what calories you burn. You'll know exactly how many calories to eat each day.

21525558.png
  • Isakizza
    Options
    Ya, where on earth does MFP get these estimates from??

My buddy logged an hour of "Gardening" and it said he burned like 1000 calories! Ummmm ok right!

LOL
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    I don't think that MFP's numbers for walking are inflated. If anything, they're lower than the calculations on other sites. MFP also lowers your calories burned when you walk the same distance more slowly. Most sites give you about the same burn per mile.
  • Isakizza
    Options
    I'm really confused. I have seen several people talk about eating the calories they burn back. Are you suppose to do that?

Yup
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    I don't think that MFP's numbers for walking are inflated. If anything, they're lower than the calculations on other sites. MFP also lowers your calories burned when you walk the same distance more slowly. Most sites give you about the same burn per mile.

It really does depend on weight and fitness levels. MFP calcs usually are 20% above my HRM.

Other sites are no more accurate than MFP - they're norm based, and individuals will vary from the norm.

For distance based exercise, 100 cals per mile is the average burn. This is perhaps the best way to estimate cal burn for walking and running - add a bit for running to allow for the difference in effort, and a bit more for weight.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    For distance based exercise, 100 cals per mile is the average burn. This is perhaps the best way to estimate cal burn for walking and running - add a bit for running to allow for the difference in effort, and a bit more for weight.

That supports my general feeling that MFP is not inflating the numbers for walking. MFP gives me 59 calories per mile of walking, and less if I walk slower than 4 mph. Individuals may deviate from that norm, but for an average burn dependent on total body mass, it seems right on.
  • roma2011
    roma2011 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    If I have a more accurate reading, I correct to that figure. Have found mfp to consistently over count calories that I have tracked on gym equipment. Otherwise I just halve the mfp calories.
  • I just wanted to say that I no longer use the UP by Jawbone. It had to be replaced THREE times before I finally just gave up and switched to Fitbit. Jawbone refuses to refund anyone's money despite this chronic problem... get a Fitbit for accurate calorie counts <3
  • Ejourneys
    Ejourneys Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this site is any better than MFP, but I've also used numbers from
    http://www.fitclick.com/how_many_calories_burned
    which takes weight into consideration.

Otherwise I use a program that came with my mini-bike, which takes my age, weight, and height into consideration.
  • amastre
    amastre Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I don't track my calories for exercise in any way. I just eat at maintenance on training days, and on a 500 cal deficit on rest days. Seems to work for me.
  • Whyareyoumad
    Whyareyoumad Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I never rely on what MFP calculates. Always have manually entered whatever my HR monitor told me. It is set for my weight and age so my HR determines what calories I burn in a given time. It works for me so I go with it.