• SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Delicious.
  • celadontea
    celadontea Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Totally horrible...

I get the McDougall's ones which are better. There are a couple brands at the Japanese market that are MSG free & organic, but it might not be specified in English and you might not have access to a Japanese market.

There are also the Annie Chun's noodle bowls. Of course making your own broth and adding ramen noodles would be OK, too. I'm having a Mcdougall's for lunch-- not bad, just pricier.
  • jenns1964
    jenns1964 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Miso is a great idea. I may have to break out the ramen this week!
  • _Krys10_
    _Krys10_ Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    I love Ramen, I drain ALL the water out and then put just a tiny bit of the packet in there. This is my go to lunch if I am running late in the morning and don't have time to pack my lunch, I throw one of those suckers right in my purse. I would say i eat one, once a month.
  • KMasz
    KMasz Posts: 2,658 Member
    Options
    This post is making me want Ramen but I don't have any!! I usually make mine, drain it, and put a can of tuna fish in it. May sound weird, but it is sooo good!!

Edit to add that I eat the Chicken flavored one when I do this.
  • ehorn625
    Options
    Sorry-yuck and way too much sodium. Just not a fan.
  • cameronwheeler
    Options
    Ramen is loaded with sodium, I am a college student and despise ramen. There was a guy that was in my class for the first 3 months, the only thing he could afford was ramen, he at it everyday for 3 months, his body was suffering from malnutrition, eventually they found him in his apartment dead. Apparently he had been dead for at least 3 days before anyone found him. The autopsy showed that all he ate was ramen and it pretty much killed him. He didn't have any of the vitamins, or nutrition to maintain his well-being.

now of course eating them every now and then wouldn't be too bad i guess but I wouldn't make it a habit of eating them. Its just cheap processed noodles with a lot of extra sodium
  • whitlisd
    Options
    Ramen noodles = bad bad bad! I love them too, but ever since I saw a video of a university study of how they "don't" break down in your gut, I probably won't be eating them again. And the salt content is something like 2100 mg out of your 2550 mg total.

I think this is the link, although my work filter prohibits me from watching it again...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zi_DaJKsCLo
  • tworthen79
    tworthen79 Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I love them. Sometimes I eat the noodles raw, just poor the seasoning on top. I love crunching on it. But the sodium is outrageous.
  • Rianne90
    Rianne90 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Hmm, I love them but I don't crave them so often anymore. I find they don't fill me up for long enough to justify the amount of calories/sodium that is in them. I might try them with the egg and extra veggies added, but then it's not really a 'quick and easy' meal anymore is it?
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    Ramen is loaded with sodium, I am a college student and despise ramen. There was a guy that was in my class for the first 3 months, the only thing he could afford was ramen, he at it everyday for 3 months, his body was suffering from malnutrition, eventually they found him in his apartment dead. Apparently he had been dead for at least 3 days before anyone found him. The autopsy showed that all he ate was ramen and it pretty much killed him. He didn't have any of the vitamins, or nutrition to maintain his well-being.

now of course eating them every now and then wouldn't be too bad i guess but I wouldn't make it a habit of eating them. Its just cheap processed noodles with a lot of extra sodium

my guess is they didn't mention the Heroin and cocaine in his system as to not tarnish the school's image. Blame the ramen.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Ramen noodles = bad bad bad! I love them too, but ever since I saw a video of a university study of how they "don't" break down in your gut, I probably won't be eating them again. And the salt content is something like 2100 mg out of your 2550 mg total.

I think this is the link, although my work filter prohibits me from watching it again...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zi_DaJKsCLo

I can't see that video, but I'm sure it's nonsense. If ramen noodles didn't break down in your gut you couldn't absorb any of the calories. Which would make them one helluva good treat while trying to lose weight.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    I put red pepper flakes and avocado in mine - but I don't eat the ramen brand I eat the udon brand from the refrigerated section.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

my guess is they didn't mention the Heroin and cocaine in his system as to not tarnish the school's image. Blame the ramen.

Can an autosy really show what someone has eaten for 3 months?? :huh:
  • Love_cup
    Love_cup Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    ETL4jtr.gif

^^^^
    This
  • cm1985
    cm1985 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    If you feel that it is bad for you go to the condiment aisle and get low sodium or salt free beef broth add it in there and put some herbs in there like cilantro, basil, mint. Add salt to your taste It makes it real good!!
  • jorge_007
    jorge_007 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I use to eat them a few years back. They tasted good to be honest, but I had a Ramen soup a few months ago and I didn't like the way it tasted anymore. Good or bad depends on what else you're eating throughout the day. If you're already consuming slew amounts of sodium then the noodle soup isn't helping you one bit. Personally, I'd say they're not good for you, but consuming them once in a while will not sabotage your weight loss goals. Growing up as a kid my parents would call these soups "lazy person soup."
  • barb1241
    barb1241 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    YIKES! The seasoning packet is actually the least offensive part. I love ramen noodles and used to add veggies, meat bits, etc. Then I learned that part of the manufacturing process is that they are deep fried before they're dried. UH OH! That where all the dang calories come from. I didn't know and I bet a lot of other folks don't know. I don't eat ramen anymore :-( For the calories, I can get a lot of other food. But-if you love 'em and they fit into your plan-eat em!
  • raichhype
    raichhype Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I love ramen noodles. My favourite are the Nong Shim brand, Hot & Spicy flavour!

I can make then fit into my calorie allowance (I'm just about to make some now!) but I always go over on sodium with them :c
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    As a vegan I occasionally sneak Nissin oriental flavor (no beef flavoring in the packet unlike Maruchan) its really good if you:
    ♥ Drain the water
    ♥Add 1/2 pack flavoring
    ♥Add 1/2 bag of frozen veggies

Ramen is great but as a treat not a habit. I remember an article I read a few months ago about a teenager that ate ramen every day of her life and only ramen. Her health was terrible!