medifast take shape for life

Options
Has anyone used the medifast take shape for life diet??

Replies

• RunningGranny
    Options
    Yes, I have. I felt it was a commercial crash diet. I lost a lot of weight but gained it back. My Dr advised me to stop it because of all the soy and all the artificial ingredients that were unhealthy.
  • julesyb1982
    Options
    I did it for two days. On the third day I ate the "eggs" and became VIOLENTLY ill. I was vomiting and in the bathroom for two days straight and couldn't eat or drink anything. I returned everything back and canceled immediately. I wouldn't recommend it.
  • kutterba
    kutterba Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I stayed with my sister for a weekend one year and she is a Take Shape for Life counselor... She & her husband made snacks for me to taste.. A little hot water & into the microwave... Hmmm. Ok, K guess, if that's all you're going to eat! Then a plain meal of lean meat/fish with salad & vegetable in the evening. I found it to not be satisfying for me AND it is that promise of quick weight loss that I have done too many times to count and I know it all comes back! Since they are "counselors," they receive it at a discount.
    I cannot do it! Even the before & after photos are not enough to convince me! Not ever.

:noway:
  • abqcheryl
    abqcheryl Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm on Medifast now. I started back in February and was on it until May. I lost 21 lbs. And this was without exercising at all (I have plantar fasciitis and have taken a break from exercise).

I took the summer "off" the diet and ate Medifast part of the time--but basically ate whatever else I wanted. I put on 4 lbs in those 3-4 months. I started back on Medifast a few weeks ago. I lost those 4 lbs I gained in 2 weeks. I could lose 30 lbs more and be super skinny but I will probably go for 15-20 more. Three sisters in law, two brothers in law and one niece are also on Medifast. Everyone has lost a good amount of weight. Will the weight come back on if you go back to eating how you always ate? Yes. Is the food the greatest? No (but there are ideas online on how to make things taste better).

The basic program: You eat their food 5 times per day (each meal is about 110 calories with the right balance of carbs/protein/fiber) and you eat what they call a "lean and green" meal consisting of a lean meat and veggies.

I will say that I have been on EVERY diet known to man and Medifast worked the best/fastest for me. Good luck with your decision :) The food costs $16.95 per box for 7 meals. You need 35 meals per week which works out to be about 140 Medifast meals per month which is 20 boxes of their food. That comes out to be $339 per month as of September 2013 ($2.42 per meal).
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    I did it. Loved it. I've been in maintenance since March and have slowly been gaining muscle. I wouldn't consider it a crash or fad diet.
  • BabyNurseJen
    BabyNurseJen Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I did it. I lost 13 or 17 lbs in the few weeks that I did it. Kept it off until a pregnancy/miscarriage. I wasn't hungry. The food wasn't horrible once you got used to the chemical taste of everything. In the end, I stopped because I didn't really like the thought of eating all that processed pseudo-food.
  • OregonRunner5
    OregonRunner5 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I noticed the food was a lot cheaper on Amazon.com? But I have a coach and would feel bad not ordering through her URL.

I had plantar fascititis and had to take about four months off. I got a PT Green Strap from Amazon for $12 and started doing stretches, and purchased a good pair of arch supporting sneakers made by Brooks at REI - they are weird shoes, like a boat. Anyway, the feet are much better now and I'm back to running.

I start the program october 1
  • jdogray
    Options
    I've been on the Take Shape for Life program since June. I've lost 55 pounds and feel great. I've enjoyed most everything I've gotten from Medifast, except the Mac and Cheese. I stay aware from the brownies -- trigger foods for me. I am on track to meet my goal in February.

A great coach and the habits of health system are the keys for me keeping the weight off.
  • MCLA4mom
    MCLA4mom Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I did it! I lost 75lbs on it and have kept it off for more than two years. It completely changed my health and my life
  • Chain_Ring
    Chain_Ring Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    what is it?
  • Catvish
    Catvish Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I'm starting the program again. I did it back in 2011 and had great results in only 2 months. I lost all my progress after a miscarriage. I've committed to start tomorrow. My meals are planned and ok ready to go. Woo hoo
  • thebalanceline
    thebalanceline Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Just started this diet a few days ago, and it is challenging so far! The significant drop in calories has given me a bloody headache and I feel a little light-headed. But I understand it gets better after a few days. I am used to running every day, but have decided to stop running until my body adjusts the the shift. Also, I am a vegetarian, so the options are slim and I'm used to a high-carb diet. It is a huge change for me. But I have a good "health coach" and hopefully it will get easier. The biggest challenge I have is that almost all the medifast meals are made out of soy, which, even as a vegetarian, I choose to consume in light-moderate amounts. I am already missing my daily staple of beans and brown rice. But I am hopeful that the results will be worth it in the end. The only thing I wonder is if I am going to sabotage myself after all is said and done. I plan to eat most of the foods that I ate prior to starting, because nothing in my day-to-day diet is unhealthy or needs to be cut out. My problem is always portion-control, I just love to eat! Perhaps I will need to make modifications in the distribution of nutrients? And I wonder if I am going to be forced to eat egg whites for the rest of my life after being on the 5:1 plan, also. Ahhh! I am not sure about this, but going to stay on course as I should. LOVE that I still can eat a heafty plate of green veggies every day - that's a relief!
  • CTXGal
    CTXGal Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Just started this diet a few days ago, and it is challenging so far! The significant drop in calories has given me a bloody headache and I feel a little light-headed. But I understand it gets better after a few days. I am used to running every day, but have decided to stop running until my body adjusts the the shift. Also, I am a vegetarian, so the options are slim and I'm used to a high-carb diet. It is a huge change for me. But I have a good "health coach" and hopefully it will get easier. The biggest challenge I have is that almost all the medifast meals are made out of soy, which, even as a vegetarian, I choose to consume in light-moderate amounts. I am already missing my daily staple of beans and brown rice. But I am hopeful that the results will be worth it in the end. The only thing I wonder is if I am going to sabotage myself after all is said and done. I plan to eat most of the foods that I ate prior to starting, because nothing in my day-to-day diet is unhealthy or needs to be cut out. My problem is always portion-control, I just love to eat! Perhaps I will need to make modifications in the distribution of nutrients? And I wonder if I am going to be forced to eat egg whites for the rest of my life after being on the 5:1 plan, also. Ahhh! I am not sure about this, but going to stay on course as I should. LOVE that I still can eat a heafty plate of green veggies every day - that's a relief!

If you are still feeling light headed and achy, sip on some bouillon. I am with you, I just love to eat!
  • thebalanceline
    thebalanceline Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestion! I feel MUCH better now after adjusting to the lower levels of carbs/calories, etc. Broth was a lifesaver. I did drink that when I felt a little woozy. Thanks!!
  • 33Freya
    33Freya Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I did medifast for a few months and lost some weight on it. Several people at work had lost significant weight on it. So I decided to try it too. I got to the point where I couldn't bear to choke down another packet of powdered food. When I stopped, I gained it all back. My coach had discouraged me from exercise because the calorie intake is so low you can't afford to spend energy that way.
    Now a couple of years later, the other medifasters have gained the weight back too- including the coach.
    I now believe in making sustainable dietary changes and creating new and better habits. No more diets for me!!
  • herownkindofwonderfull
    Options
    I am on it currently and love it. Everyone who I know who has been on the program has had a GREAT SUCCESS with losing weight, and keeping it off. The comments about not exercising are invalid.... and whoever those "coaches" are need to be re-trained. Exercising needs to start after about 3 weeks on the program, but due to the low calorie intake, it should not exceed 1 hour. If you are working out hard, there are some coaches who suggest doing a 4 & 2 program (instead of a 5 & 1) to up your calorie intake. That way, you are eating 2 L&G meals a day, and 4 medifast meals instead 1 L&G and 5 medifast meals.

I have been on the program one month and feel GREAT. I am eating healthy, learning amazing healthy alternatives, and am learning skills to keep weight off and to stay healthy once I am in the transition and maintenance phase. I have currently lost 22lbs in my first month on Medifast, and look GREAT. This has been without exercising, as my work and school schedule doesn't allow free time for that at the moment. However, I am starting my workout program next week when my semester is over - I can't wait! :)

I HIGHLY recommend Medifast TSFL for just about EVERYONE. :) It is a WONDERFUL program.

PS: for those who have "failed" in regard to Medifast... it's the PEOPLE that fail, not the diet (s). The reason that people are not successful in this program is for "cheating," and for not continuing healthy habits of life and health after they complete the program. It is not a program fault, but a personal fault that many encounter with any exercise or "diet" / "life change" program.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    PS: for those who have "failed" in regard to Medifast... it's the PEOPLE that fail, not the diet (s). The reason that people are not successful in this program is for "cheating," and for not continuing healthy habits of life and health after they complete the program. It is not a program fault, but a personal fault that many encounter with any exercise or "diet" / "life change" program.

Well, sure that is true. But it doesn't seem to me that eating a bunch of prepackaged food is helping anyone learn how to eat real food, and keep the weight off. Obviously there are some successes, and kudos to them for keeping it off.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    I did medifast for a few months and lost some weight on it. Several people at work had lost significant weight on it. So I decided to try it too. I got to the point where I couldn't bear to choke down another packet of powdered food. When I stopped, I gained it all back. My coach had discouraged me from exercise because the calorie intake is so low you can't afford to spend energy that way.
    Now a couple of years later, the other medifasters have gained the weight back too- including the coach.
    I now believe in making sustainable dietary changes and creating new and better habits. No more diets for me!!

Yikes.
  • treefrogkate
    treefrogkate Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Yup, currently on it and have lost over 60 pounds in under 5 months. It's easy to follow, and convenient for a busy lifestyle (I'm a consultant so I'm at a different client, sometimes 2 clients, every day).
  • herownkindofwonderfull
    Options

Well, sure that is true. But it doesn't seem to me that eating a bunch of prepackaged food is helping anyone learn how to eat real food, and keep the weight off. Obviously there are some successes, and kudos to them for keeping it off.

The program is not just about eating pre-packaged food. It encompasses skills for healthy eating which are learned through the program including portion control, healthy proteins, whole grans / complex carbs, and the importance of vegetables as well as maintaining an active lifestyle. These are learned through the program guides and books, and through your coach (or should be). Further, you start really using it during the Transition and Maintenance phase. Again, this program is literally guaranteed to work, as long as you follow it and encompass the ENTIRE PROGRAM.