Can't get past the first 6lbs. =/

Options
I know that this is common. I also know that I don't exercise enough. I am hesitant of exercise because of my migraines/neck issues. I don't go over my calorie intake and it is set at 1300. Most days I am under. Will I not lose any more weight by just eating healthy ( no processed foods, and if so it is rare ) or would I have to increase my exercise? I do mean additional exercise, not my every day stay at home mom activities lol I started my journey mid august, so I'm not complaining too much. I do notice I have also lost inches.

Replies

• quarkenstein
    quarkenstein Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    If you're losing inches, that's great! I stalled at 7 lbs down too. My biggest thing is I was overestimating calories eaten, and I was not nearly active enough in a "normal" day. I worked from home so I was VERY sedentary. By buying a kitchen scale (use grams measurements!) and now that I'm back in school, walking to the from the parking lot every day, the lbs have started falling off fast, even the last few "vanity" lbs.
  • truly_blessed90
    Options
    So, you were eating too many or too little calories?
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I don't want to come off as rude, but you should be satisfied with the inches lost and not worry so much about the scale. I've found myself in your shoes before, and a plateau after about a month is hardly a plateau.

Yes, you should exercise more. Then eat your exercise calories. You can lose weight without exercising, but my experience is that it takes much longer. I know you're worried about migraines and neck problems, but getting some exercise could help with that. Do you often get migraines during or after exercise? Is it a dehydration issue or a muscle straining issue? Something else?
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    How long have you been stuck at this weight? Six pounds dropped in a month is really good progress, but your body may take some time to readjust after the initial loss. Exercise is good for you but it's not essential for weight loss. Without seeing your diary or knowing more about you and your routine it's tough to give specific information.
  • Pmscur
    Pmscur Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Oh I can so relate! I have 15 days logged and am at only 2 lbs. just got my back injury squared away and now have a sinus infection. No energy to work out. I am logging and I have lost 2 inches. Hang in there.
    If you are anything like me cleaning the closet out of your big sizes to your new smaller sizes is such a huge reward!
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,753 Member
    Options
    I know that this is common. I also know that I don't exercise enough. I am hesitant of exercise because of my migraines/neck issues. I don't go over my calorie intake and it is set at 1300. Most days I am under. Will I not lose any more weight by just eating healthy ( no processed foods, and if so it is rare ) or would I have to increase my exercise? I do mean additional exercise, not my every day stay at home mom activities lol I started my journey mid august, so I'm not complaining too much. I do notice I have also lost inches.

http://blog.myfitnesspal.com/2013/08/
    This is the myfitnesspal blog on losing without exercising. Read that.
  • rainunrefined
    rainunrefined Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing your food?
  • tiger4nikki
    tiger4nikki Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    If you're getting smaller, don't worry! Scales can drive a person insane, LOL. I don't care what my weight is really..........as long as I am getting SMALLER.
  • truly_blessed90
    Options
    I'm not obsessing over the scale as I do feel much better with the way I am eating now. I just wanted to know if I could lose more than the first initial lbs without exercising. I have a 2 year old so, I don't sit around all day, but I haven't been to the gym yet. I do know that me being a smaller size will help with my health issues. Good news is that already my BP is no longer high.

I was at my Starting weight for about two years. I don't weigh my food with a kitchen scale, not sure if that would be a little too much for me. I find that getting too specific makes me feel like it's a diet and not a lifestyle change.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you normally eating? You say you're under 1300. Is like that 1250, or are you only eating 900 calories a day or something? I agree with everyone that inches are most important, but undereating is likely to cause a problem for you in the future.
  • truly_blessed90
    Options
    I eat about 1200 a day or 1250. I don't skip meals though.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,400 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Can you open your diary? Also, do you weigh and measure your foods? Also, what is your per week loss set at (1lb, 2 lbs, etc..)
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    Plateaus are normal and to be expected.

I've dieted many times over my life and every time after the first 10 pounds you have a period of a few weeks where weight loss slows down. I have always suspected this is because your body figures out what is going on (caloric restriction) and slows down the metabolism somewhat to accommodate. I also feel very tired when this happens.

You just have to push through it.

Here is what my plateau looks like:

YUTTBXj.jpg

MFP truncates the image so you will have to right-click on it and choose "view image" if you want to see the whole graph, but the plateau is visible no matter what you do.

The only thing for it is to keep logging and keep pushing through the plateau.

Exercise is great and good for your health but your primary weight loss mechanism is a sustained caloric deficit. Be religious about your logging!
  • truly_blessed90
    Options
    Thanks all for the input. It is greatly appreciated. I have it set to 2lbs per week.

I know plateaus are normal, I'm by no means going to quit. I love the way I feel without eating processed foods :)
    Even if I don't lose any weight any time soon, it at least has kept down my blood pressure.
  • truly_blessed90
    Options
    From an online source is says:
    (I did put it as sedentary, although I do things as a stay at home mom, I don't get sweaty from any of the activities that I do) lol

Your BMR is:

CALORIES/DAY
    Your TDEE is:

O.O I definitely don't want to intake 1570 a day, is eating 1300 a day going to make me gain weight?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,400 MFP Moderator
    Options
    You cant gain fat until you exceed your tdee not your bmr. Also, exercise and breastfeeding increase tdee so 1500 may not be a bad choice.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can lose weight by just eating healthy foods in reasonable amounts (don't over-eat and don't under-eat). However, why would anyone avoid exercise? Exercise does not have to occur in a gym nor do you have to take up jogging. Real life activities ARE exercise. Play with kids, run, jump, lift heavy things... it's not rocket science.

Why do you not want to eat 1570 calories per day? 1300 is quite low. Interestingly, there are people who actually lose weight when they eat a bit more and are somewhat active.

You seem very focussed on just weight loss; what about your health? When I decided to change my lifestyle and my health improved, weight loss followed effortlessly.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for the input. It is greatly appreciated. I have it set to 2lbs per week.

I know plateaus are normal, I'm by no means going to quit. I love the way I feel without eating processed foods :)
    Even if I don't lose any weight any time soon, it at least has kept down my blood pressure.

Your goals are too lofty. With only 34lbs to lose I'd shoot for 1lbs/week. Trying to go too extreme almost always backfires.

Doesn't sound like you're logging accurately either which means your goal calories aren't going to be a useful metric to measure against.

If you're losing size then you're getting there. If you don't lose size or weight for at least a month, then you can call it a plateau and it might be time to re-evaluate.
  • HillaryAnnMaroney
    Options
    Don't try to rush your weight loss. I have fibromyalgia so I understand the pain when you work out. My suggestion to you would be to walk every day. Walk at a brisk pace for at least 30 minutes. I think, along with eating healthfully, you will move past your plateau and keep losing weight. I wish you luck! :)
  • bkw99508
    bkw99508 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I am prone to headaches. I would say that I used to suffer from a headache almost every day of my life. I suffer from both migranes and tension headaches. However, since I have started lifting weights and excercising the frequency of my headaches are MUCH lower. Maybe it's from hydrating a lot better, maybe from relieving the tension through excercise?

Regardless for the reason why, not having to pop a pill everyday has been a godsend.