Just started running: Shin and knee damage?

Options
So I just started the C25K program Monday. Today was my second workout, and my shins and knees are, well, not exactly painful, but they feel scary. My shins are actually sensitive to the touch, almost like they've been beaten or something. My knees also feel like they've been banged up whenever I move them.

Now, I know these symptoms are exactly because my legs HAVE been beaten up like they haven't been for a number of years. And, I expected some pain when I started the program. But the way they're feeling (especially my shins), I'm really concerned about injuring myself if I continue the program as scheduled.

There have got to be some good beginner tips for running, but it's hard to sort through the chaff to find it. Can someone recommend a good starting resource, or even just some ideas for how to run more "gently" to begin with?

Replies

• hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    Here is a link to the Coolrunning website on how to prevent injuries.

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_5/
  • courtneyk0721
    courtneyk0721 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Do you have some good shoes? Consider going to a running store that will fit you for the right shoe.. Fleet Feet is a good option if you have one nearby. It will probably run you about $100 though. Good shoes are essential.

Good luck!
  • dorianaldyn
    dorianaldyn Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I'm concerned about your form - have you tried finding proper running form videos on YouTube or anything? I made some changes to my form when I started running and I eliminated the lower back pain I was experiencing after long runs.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Shin splints. You need good shoes fitted properly by someone knowledgeable, preferably a running store and expect to shell out some cash to get them. Next, your form. Make sure you are landing midfoot, not pounding your heels into the ground, if you need to, shorten your stride to achieve that. A longer stride may make you faster but it will also make you sit at home in pain.

You can also exercise to strengthen your shin muscles. Stand on the edge of a step with just the ball of your foot on the stair and raise yourself up and down. Also sitting on a chair with feet flat on the floor raise your toes up and down.
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Others have made some good suggestions above. You may want to look on http://www.runnersworld.com There is a wealth of information on all things running there for you.
  • srevels85
    srevels85 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Shin splints. You need good shoes fitted properly by someone knowledgeable, preferably a running store and expect to shell out some cash to get them. Next, your form. Make sure you are landing midfoot, not pounding your heels into the ground, if you need to, shorten your stride to achieve that. A longer stride may make you faster but it will also make you sit at home in pain.

You can also exercise to strengthen your shin muscles. Stand on the edge of a step with just the ball of your foot on the stair and raise yourself up and down. Also sitting on a chair with feet flat on the floor raise your toes up and down.

^^ This - Good shoes that are to your fit and gait are a must or you are asking for an injury.
  • smarionette
    smarionette Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Shin splints. They suck and scare off a lot of beginning runners. Almost always you read horror stories and go "oh that's an extreme case!" It wasn't.

Like others have said, good shoes. Have someone look at your stride and form. Ibuprofen, Ice and Bananas are your friend. Take a couple of days off until the pain subsides then try again, at a slower pace, watching your stride. Don't give up yet! If you want to learn to be light on your feet something like jumping rope helps, but for now I'd stick with doing some stride research.
  • sobriquet84
    sobriquet84 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    1. proper/best shoes for your feet are vital. you may also need ortho inserts.
    2. be aware of proper form.
    3. stretch. be sure you're stretching.
    4. avoid running on sidewalks. sidwalks are the hardest surface you can run on. a blacktop (i.e. the street) has more give than a sidewalk. run on that instead when you can, or, even way more better-- an actual running track or grass.
    5. take an anti-inflammatory and/or ice if you need during these first few weeks.

you're desribing shin splints and your knee pain is common to accompany them because they can have the same causes. i know from experience that it can be EXTREMELY painful.
  • MatthewLewis81
    MatthewLewis81 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Wow, looks like I'm doing the right thing to ask now when the feeling is just "there" instead of "painful!" :D

I'm running on a "track" that is primarily gravel (white driveway rock, approx. 1 to 1.5 inch diameter gravel) but also has some short sections of blacktop. Because of my surroundings, it is unlikely I will be able to find a more suitable place than this.

My shoes aren't great, so I should probably go get a different pair. The problem is that my feet are at least a half-size different, maybe a bit more. Do any sports stores sell running shoes in unmatched sets?
  • mreeves261
    mreeves261 Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    My shoes aren't great, so I should probably go get a different pair. The problem is that my feet are at least a half-size different, maybe a bit more. Do any sports stores sell running shoes in unmatched sets?

DON'T GO TO A BIG BOX SPORTS STORE!!!!

You need to go to a Running Shop where people who RUN will help you find shoes that fit the size(s) of your feet, you gait, heel strike, pronation...... there's more to running shoes than just going and spending $100+ on the newest Nikes.

Get shoes fitted to you and I would bet 90% of what you are feeling goes away.
  • MatthewLewis81
    MatthewLewis81 Posts: 59 Member
    Options

You need to go to a Running Shop where people who RUN will help you find shoes that fit the size(s) of your feet, you gait, heel strike, pronation...... there's more to running shoes than just going and spending $100+ on the newest Nikes.

That's exactly what I was concerned about. I noticed the Fleet Fleet Sports recommendation above and their website claims high customer service. But, they're a chain and I always kind of shy away from that whenever it seems custom, personal service is required. Are there any other votes for Fleet Fleet, or is there somewhere else I should look for?

I'm in Central Illinois, but am in St. Louis fairly often as well.

Thanks for any ideas!
  • mreeves261
    mreeves261 Posts: 728 Member
    Options

That's exactly what I was concerned about. I noticed the Fleet Fleet Sports recommendation above and their website claims high customer service. But, they're a chain and I always kind of shy away from that whenever it seems custom, personal service is required. Are there any other votes for Fleet Fleet, or is there somewhere else I should look for?

I'm in Central Illinois, but am in St. Louis fairly often as well.

Thanks for any ideas!

Just did a quick Google. I would look into this store personally. They should be able to get you what you need and any advice on being a beginning runner.

http://bigriverrunning.com/store.php
  • monicaP413
    Options
    Just my opinion, but I would try walking. You can walk almost as fast as jogging and you can still get your heart rate up without damaging your knees or shins. I have bad knees and get shin splints the minute I start running. My dad ran for years and realized he could walk almost as fast and it doesn't damage his body like running. Definitely ice your shins and knees after running if you are having issues. Good luck!
  • josavage
    josavage Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Fleet Feet is a good choice. Just don't go somewhere like Sports Authority.
  • JessieMaeH82
    JessieMaeH82 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Do not OVER stride!!! There is a video on About.Com that talks about over striding. HELPED ME BIG
  • BonnieJ60
    Options
    Look into Chi Running!
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    It's been said but just to add another vote on the shoes.

Don't go to a big sports store, go to a smaller speciality running one in your area. They should be able to check your stride and foot hit placement and make recommendations on shoes and even point out possible issues with your stride. You'll pay a bit more but its worth every penny to not feel that pain through te life of your new shoes. Bring the shoes you were runnin in with you as well so they can see the wear and year patterns. I went through this same thing months ago and now a small shop has my business for life despite costing a bit more.
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    When you go to the running store, pick up a foam roller too. Roll the calves and IT band after every run.

And as others mentioned, pay attention to form. Shorten your stride and slow down if you need to.
  • dawlschic007
    dawlschic007 Posts: 636 Member
    Options

I have the same problem with my feet being different sizes. I went to a running shoe store and they fitted me for the larger size foot. I had been buying shoes based on the smaller size and that was giving me a lot of feet issues. I also bought the custom inserts, which made a big difference. The running shoe stores will video tape your gait on the treadmill and can probably give you some pointers on how to change it, if you are indeed not running correctly. I went to Roadrunner (not sure if they have other locations) but they were extremely helpful.
  • TTHdred
    TTHdred Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I found this page very helpful when I first started.
    http://www.runnersworld.com/beginners-only

You have some good advice here. Form, shoes and surface are your main culprits for pain. Also stretching properly after and warming up sufficiently before are key to prevent injury and minimize pain. Some very experienced runners never stretch. It all depends on the person. But for me, if I don’t I will be in a lot of pain. I used to get shin splits all the time and I have found really stretching after (along with all the other good advice here) helps.

Here is also a video for how to strengthen your shins to hopefully make it less painful the more your run

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tHXkt5JZMc

Here is some info on form:

http://www.runnersworld.com/the-starting-line/proper-running-form