Wheat Belly

Options
Has anyone read the book Wheat Belly? If so, have you incorporated the elimination of grains & sugar in your diet? How has that been?

Replies

• MermaidTX
    MermaidTX Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Has anyone read the book Wheat Belly? If so, have you incorporated the elimination of grains & sugar in your diet? How has that been?

I haven't read the book but I cut out grains & sugar. My gut has never felt better! And the splotchy redness in my face is gone so I don't even *have* to wear foundation because my complexion has improved so much.
  • morning_joy
    morning_joy Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    I have read the book and have been working at changing over from wheat to whole grains of other varieties and getting rid of the sugar. I am pretty good about getting rid of bread and wheat. Sugar is my main problem. All my cravings are of the wheat/sugar combination so if I could cut out both, I would be doing great. I am just working on one substitution at a time. I do find that it has made a difference as far as where I hold my weight. My upper belly has gotten smaller and my waist has appeared even though I have not lost a great deal of weight yet.

Juliana
  • iechick
    iechick Posts: 352 Member
    Options

I've read it and his writing style is quite obnoxious. That's a bit off putting. I did not make any changes after reading it and I eat lots of grains, including wheat. I've lost over 50lbs and now am in maintenance. My last blood work came back excellent as well. Also, I do not have a 'wheat belly' even though I eat a lot of wheat/grains/natural occurring/not so natural sugar, and now that I'm at goal weight/bmi of under 20, my stomach is totally flat. That's after having three kids too :smile: I don't doubt that there are some people who are sensitive to wheat, but I'm not one of them.
  • cminhp
    Options
    Eating wheat is like eating a little bit of poison it will catch up with you.
    That includes so called healthy whole grains....
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRHu5tBSwkDtQne5SNQoMqYwmO7rBcjBoaonJ8v2lZM6PCcT501
  • totem12
    totem12 Posts: 194 Member
    Options

This is based on?....
  • mrmagee3
    mrmagee3 Posts: 518 Member
    Options

This is based on?....

Well, when you eat poison, you use your mouth...and when you eat wheat, you use your mouth. You swallow. It ends up in your stomach, most likely.

What I'm trying to say, is that it's basically the same thing.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options

This is based on?....

LOL I know right!?

My best friend has been so hard to take ever since she read Wheat Belly!!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Do you often incorporate ideas from works of fiction into your daily life?
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Awesome book, loved it.

Read Robb Wolf's too for more science-y stuff re: eliminating wheat.

While there can be issues raised with these authors, and the "avoid wheat" philosophy in general, the thing I keep coming back to is:

What does wheat give me that I can't get elsewhere, without the potential for unpleasantness?
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Awesome book, loved it.

Read Robb Wolf's too for more science-y stuff re: eliminating wheat.

While there can be issues raised with these authors, and the "avoid wheat" philosophy in general, the thing I keep coming back to is:

What does wheat give me that I can't get elsewhere, without the potential for unpleasantness?

Legit pasta and bread, pizza
  • StrictlyPro
    Options
    Unnecessary food avoidance for the lose
  • aling01
    aling01 Posts: 163
    Options
    That is awesome!

I haven't read the book but I cut out grains & sugar. My gut has never felt better! And the splotchy redness in my face is gone so I don't even *have* to wear foundation because my complexion has improved so much.
  • aling01
    Options
    That's great! I'm hoping it would get rid of my lower belly (I have like 2 tummys I guess you can say).
    I have read the book and have been working at changing over from wheat to whole grains of other varieties and getting rid of the sugar. I am pretty good about getting rid of bread and wheat. Sugar is my main problem. All my cravings are of the wheat/sugar combination so if I could cut out both, I would be doing great. I am just working on one substitution at a time. I do find that it has made a difference as far as where I hold my weight. My upper belly has gotten smaller and my waist has appeared even though I have not lost a great deal of weight yet.

Juliana
  • aling01
    Options
    You are definitely lucky!! haha. I just started noticing how sensitive I am and it sucks CAUSE I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE all bread, pasta, pastry, etc. lol. Perhaps I eat too damn much of it.

I've read it and his writing style is quite obnoxious. That's a bit off putting. I did not make any changes after reading it and I eat lots of grains, including wheat. I've lost over 50lbs and now am in maintenance. My last blood work came back excellent as well. Also, I do not have a 'wheat belly' even though I eat a lot of wheat/grains/natural occurring/not so natural sugar, and now that I'm at goal weight/bmi of under 20, my stomach is totally flat. That's after having three kids too :smile: I don't doubt that there are some people who are sensitive to wheat, but I'm not one of them.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    And the lethal dosage is?
  • aling01
    Options
    Is there a problem with reading? I don't think so!

Do you often incorporate ideas from works of fiction into your daily life?
  • gabbygirl78
    gabbygirl78 Posts: 936 Member
    Options

I have not read it but my mother has at the direction of her cardiologist and she tried it for a while...... wasn't impressed with the food at all.... in fact thinking about some of the "bread" recipes and the taste and texture nauseates me still.... Some people like it tho.
  • aling01
    Options
    Yeah like Almond bread. It's definitely a weird texture and almost soggy like.

I've elimiated grains/sugar on and off for the last couple years per my thyroid dr as I couldn't lose weight and it has helped me a lot. I knew that I was sensitive to them but I didn't understand why until I read this book. HOWEVER, once I get a handle of my eating habit (I have a tendency to binge a lot and eat badly), I plan to incorporate grains/sugar back into my life but sparingly.

I have not read it but my mother has at the direction of her cardiologist and she tried it for a while...... wasn't impressed with the food at all.... in fact thinking about some of the "bread" recipes and the taste and texture nauseates me still.... Some people like it tho.
  • sobriquet84
    sobriquet84 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Haven't read the book but I have cut out a lot of gluten from my diet. Not ENTIRELY, I don't have Celiac Disease and a little gluten in my diet doesn't bother me at all. But, if I have too much in my diet for too long, I break out with really bad keratosis pilaris all over my arms, sometimes on my legs and back too. My face will break out. I will have IBS symptoms. I will be bloated as all hell. I'll be super lethargic. And I will generally hate life because I look and feel like schit.

edit-- some people are more sensitive than others. if it doesn't bother you at all, then i don't see the problem. like dairy-- some people can't have any dairy. i could drink a gallon of milk a day for the rest of my life and feel fabulous. dairy intolerance is highly genetic. i wonder if gluten may be the same way.