working out abs?

Options
I probably have about 10 pounds to lose before I feel "done" but all of my toning work is in my belly area.
Is it okay to start ab workouts now? Or do I wait until I have lost the weight I want?

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    It's never too early to start muscle training. Just doing ab workouts won't get you killer abs either. You need a general lifting program to get great muscle definition.
  • butterfly0819
    Options
    It's never too early to start muscle training. Just doing ab workouts won't get you killer abs either. You need a general lifting program to get great muscle definition.

Thanks. I have been doing cardio for a while now to lose. I just started an arm toning workout last week but I keep hearing that I shouldnt work my abs until I've lost the fat. Going to get some leg toning in as well :)
  • LumpySpacePrincess1
    Options
    Exercise helps with weight loss and measurements, so I don't see why you should wait. Especially since you lose muscle as you lose weight so you need to maintain as much as possible.
    Quick note: Planks. Planks are your friend. Your rich, sexy friend with the nice car and free drugs.
    Fck crunches and sit ups. Bad for your back, and on the scale of effective ab workouts they're near the bottom.
    Planks.
  • FrankiesSaysRelax
    FrankiesSaysRelax Posts: 403 Member
    Options

^this. But also, abs are made in the kitchen, not the gym. You can work out your abs all you want, but if there is fat on top.. you aren't going to see anything. You can't spot reduce, and most women tend to lose weight in their stomach last. Just keep that in mind.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

Thanks. I have been doing cardio for a while now to lose. I just started an arm toning workout last week but I keep hearing that I shouldnt work my abs until I've lost the fat. Going to get some leg toning in as well :)

To be honest, you should have been lifting throughout the entire journey. Lifting maintains muscle mass so you have "tone" when the fat is gone.

As far as abs go, ab exercises will help strengthen the core, but they won't give you visible abs. Visible abs come from overall lowered BF%. You can do 10,000 crunches per day, but if you have fat on other areas of your body to burn it will take it from there.

"Abs" come from diet (caloric deficit) + work (Cardio + Compuond Movement strength training) + Patiece as this is usually the last place fat is lost from.

You will notice, most on this site with nice abs do very little to no isolated ab exercises as the abs are worked through compound movements from other training.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options

^this. But also, abs are made in the kitchen, not the gym. You can work out your abs all you want, but if there is fat on top.. you aren't going to see anything. You can't spot reduce, and most women tend to lose weight in their stomach last. Just keep that in mind.

I used to say I have six pack abs but they are covered by a pillow top mattress.
    Now they are just covered by a light quilt :bigsmile:
  • InForBacon
    InForBacon Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options

To be honest, you should have been lifting throughout the entire journey. Lifting maintains muscle mass so you have "tone" when the fat is gone.

As far as abs go, ab exercises will help strengthen the core, but they won't give you visible abs. Visible abs come from overall lowered BF%. You can do 10,000 crunches per day, but if you have fat on other areas of your body to burn it will take it from there.

"Abs" come from diet (caloric deficit) + work (Cardio + Compuond Movement strength training) + Patiece as this is usually the last place fat is lost from.

You will notice, most on this site with nice abs do very little to no isolated ab exercises as the abs are worked through compound movements from other training.
    Just here to quote this guy.
  • butterfly0819
    Options

Great so I am already behind..lol. Are there any websites you reccommend for good toning workouts? I am a member at the YMCA so I do have access to equipment and free weights.
  • InForBacon
    InForBacon Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options

Great so I am already behind..lol. Are there any websites you reccommend for good toning workouts? I am a member at the YMCA so I do have access to equipment and free weights.
    stronglifts.com Simple and effective
  • james6998
    james6998 Posts: 743 Member
    Options

This is actually untrue. Abs might start in the kitchen but you work them out with resistance heavy weight training and they will grow like any other muscle, allowing them to show with more BF%. Woman's abs show up much quicker then men's due to the fact they don't need as low of BF%. to be seen.
  • RGv2
    Options

stronglifts.com Simple and effective

This....New Rules is another.....
  • RGv2
    Options

This is actually untrue. Abs might start in the kitchen but you work them out with resistance heavy weight training and they will grow like any other muscle, allowing them to show with more BF%. Woman's abs show up much quicker then men's due to the fact they don't need as low of BF%. to be seen.

I find this questionable, but in order for the abs to grow that much it would take a ton of work. For the goals of most individuals here, lowering BF% is a much more attainable goal....even though I question the effectiveness of growing your abs through the fat.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    [quote}
    [/quote]

This.

<
    Have not done a single crunch. Ever. It's all dead lifts and squats.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    "Toning" doesn't really exist. What most people want when they say "toning" is to remove fat, and reveal moderate muscle definition. This is usually done by eating at a calorie deficit, and lifting weights to preserve muscle. If you do compound lifts, very little ab work is required. My abs are sore right now, after standing shoulder press.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/560459-stronglifts-5x5-summary
  • butterfly0819
    Options
    [quote}

This.

<
    [/quote]

Wow..obviously you had to start somewhere. How? I've never done a squat or dead lift in my life..lol. I'd like to do this the right way and not workout for nothing.
  • pavrg
    pavrg Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I find this questionable, but in order for the abs to grow that much it would take a ton of work. For the goals of most individuals here, lowering BF% is a much more attainable goal....even though I question the effectiveness of growing your abs through the fat.
    I think you misunderstood him.

He's saying that just dieting with no ab work is similar to dieting with no other strength training. You will lose the weight and get a flat stomach, but might still be disappointed with the end product.

To have good abs you need a combination of proper diet to lose the fat and some isolated ab work with heavy weight to grow the muscles. Using abs as stabilizers for your lifts (along with everything else you do in life) isn't going to cut it.

Do you advise people to grow shoulder and lat muscles by just dieting down to 10% bodyfat and just doing bench press and incline bench press? After all, the deltoids and lats are stabilizers in those exercises, so you don't need to target them to show muscle definition, right?

I have seen a lot of people disappointed with their abs after 6 months of only doing starting strength or other beginner routine with no ab isolation work. Yea, they got down to 10-12% bodyfat but it still looks terrible.

Back to the original topic: I'm a fan of flutter kicks and leg raises, even though a lot of people don't like them because they also work hip flexors. Also, basic crunches work too if you do proper form (and the majority of people don't) -- you have to keep your back straight as you lift from the abs, not curl your back and lift from the arms/quads. You actually won't do the full range of motion by putting your elbows/chest to your quads, but that's okay.
  • pavrg
    pavrg Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    deleted
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    After a nice long run my abs are very sore, along with my upper body when I say long i mean 12 plus miles. Thats me for you a nice long run might be 6.
  • RGv2
    Options

To have good abs you need a combination of proper diet to lose the fat and some isolated ab work with heavy weight to grow the muscles. Using abs as stabilizers for your lifts (along with everything else you do in life) isn't going to cut it.

No, no you don't...., it could be arguing semantics, but...

Isolation is not necessary to have good abs...sorry.
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    Really? I never realized you could really tone up your abdomen with dead lifts and squats. And to think I've been doing all this other abdominal work for so long...........

quote]
    [quote}
    [/quote]

This.

<
    [/quote]