Stay at Home Moms (and Dads)...what do you do?

Options

Replies

• SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Work out outside or at the gym since you can leave...
  • nikkylyn
    nikkylyn Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I have three kids. Ages 4,3, and 10 months.

My husband works 7-330. So I go to the gym from 5-6am. He has to leave by 630 this gives me enough time to come home and shower before the baby wakes up.

We kinda just hang out around the house.... after lunch I take my oldest to preschool. While shes at school I try to work on my homework while the baby naps. Im in school ft online finishing my degree. My husband goes to the gym after work so he doesnt get home till 5 or so. By then I have already picked my daughter up from school and have maybe started dinner... some days he makes dinner :)

Some days we take the kids to the park in the evening. or we play outside on the trampoline.

It gets to hectic from 4 till 9. Picking my daughter up from preschool, making dinner, baths, bed.. I would never workout if I waited until evenings to do it.

If I were you I would get a gym membership and hit the gym as soon as your kid/kids are in school. To me that would be a dream to not have to wake up before its even light out esp when I have a baby that doesnt always sleep thru actually most of the time he doesnt. So I may get up at 2 or 3 am for feeding but then Im back up at 445 to go workout.
  • Alisontheice
    Alisontheice Posts: 9,624 Member
    Options
    Since your husband is sleeping during the days you could get in a pilates workout. That is gentle and quiet and good for working on your core. There are lots of pilates videos on Youtube.

I have a 5 year old son who goes to school in the afternoons so I do exercise videos in the afternoons after I drop him off and run whatever errands i have planned for that day. A couple of mornings a week I do a figure skating class and luckily where I do that they have childcare so he goes to the kids club and has fun while I get in a workout on the ice.

Hope you can figure out a routine. I find until you find that routine it is so easy to just sit at home doing nothing.
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    FFS

You have NO BABIES at home!!!

You have endless possibilities

^^This. Sorry, but I don't understand your issue.
  • iamanadult
    iamanadult Posts: 709 Member
    Options

This. There isn't much more to say. You post is confusing.
  • Jaided35
    Options
    I'm confused as well. But I am a Stay at home mom who has no kids either during the day from 9 am til 3pm. I do whatever I can. I take the kids to school, eat breakfast, laundry, clean, etc. Usually work out between 11 and 12 (bf comes home for lunch around 12.30). Other than that go out and get busy.
  • rsalty
    rsalty Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Stay at home with a gradeschooler, wanting to set a good example and lose weight.

Do your long slow cardio during the morning, right after school starts.
    Make certain you have a healthy eating plan in place for the afternoon/evening, and document it well enough that your kid can see why you planned it the way you did.
    Find two fun exercises, and a cool science experiment video for the evening. Try to understand the science behind it well enough you can do it with your daughter if she gets excited about it after you watch it with her in the evening (video is sometimes a good reward for finishing homework). Make certain that homework has appropriately timed active breaks (like those fun exercises you found).
    If there is a subject that she is having problems with, try to find new ways of learning/teaching/practicing it, since her problem is probably not the subject, but the way it is being taught.
    Garden: good food, decent exercise, and an awesome example of what self-reliance meant.
    Have a regular volunteering schedule: keeps you from "no adult conversation" insanity, helps the community, and gives you a better network for solving the problems that you will be confronted with as your child ages.
    Make something: paintings, a video game, furniture, costumes, insane dinners, a radio, a dune buggy, a novel, an airplane: the more outrageous, the more you will learn, and better you will demonstrate that a human should not be limited by their goals.
    Find a subject that you like, and take on online course (there's a bunch of free ones) to get better at it, and do homework "with" your daughter - bonding and good example all at once. Maybe take up public speaking, or storytelling (what kid wouldn't enjoy a parent telling stories awesomely?) - by doing this through Toastmasters, you get another chance at connecting with other adults, as well as great feedback.
    Learn a new dance, a foreign language, an ancient language, nuclear physics.
    Memorize a play: a classic, or just your favorite.

Is that enough ideas?

TL/DR: Live the example you want to be.
  • Naomi0504
    Naomi0504 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Since I homeschool, my kids are always around, but I have free weights at home, I walk (run when I'm not pregnant), do aerobics (Leslie Sansone), and yoga. I even get the kids in on it. :)

This is me too, but I don't do cardio anymore really. Maybe jogging once every other week. I lift weights at home. The kids are always around. I wake up an hour before them. If I didn't have kids at home, I'd go to the gym :smile:
  • Sporks42
    Sporks42 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I actually do understand where you are coming from Op. It's really hard to motivate yourself to do anything when there are no consequences for not doing it. No kids to need stuff. I have two semesters before grad school so I'm at home with the dogs and myself while the hubby is working. What helped me is making a to do list in the morning and sticking to it. The hubby is so happy when I'm productive, not only do I get stuff done, but I feel better about my situation!
  • tpayne0453
    Options
    Really? We're do you find these challenges?
  • tpayne0453
    Options

I don't think it's confusing. I lost my motivation when I left my job. It was part of my routine while I was working...now I find it difficult to get into a routine when my days run together. Yes, I can leave the house, but I don't...
  • Cheeky_and_Geeky
    Cheeky_and_Geeky Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    I suggest running. Its cheap & there are lots of apps out there to help. At home, do push ups, squats, lunges, reverse sit ups, crunches, leg raises, planks, etc. Those are quiet strength training exercises. Also Youtube yoga routines. Good luck!
  • iamanadult
    iamanadult Posts: 709 Member
    Options

I don't think it's confusing. I lost my motivation when I left my job. It was part of my routine while I was working...now I find it difficult to get into a routine when my days run together. Yes, I can leave the house, but I don't...

So then you're looking for motivation, not ideas?
  • walleymama
    walleymama Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I'm not really clear on what you are asking about, but here's how we roll...

I'm a SAHM and my two kids are homeschooled but they are old enough that I can leave them at home for a bit. I live in a rural area and our property backs onto miles of groomed trail so I do my running there. I love running and don't need to drag myself to do it. I also have a dog who needs regular exercise (Heeler mix, fairly high energy) so on non-running days I go for a good long walk with her (4 - 6 km). She needs it, so even on days when I don't really feel like it I will. But honesty I love my walks: the natural scenery is the best antidepressant there is. I hate gyms and am much happier getting out into the beautiful forest and fields. I also ride horses, which I love, and would do more often if I had more time and money.

Routine, now that is a hard one. I know we (the kids and I) all do better with routine but it's hard for me to stick to it because I love my quiet days at home and so do the kids but then I easily get distracted by housework, and I also love to craft (quilting, knitting, etc). My kids are self-motivated learners and really don't need much of my attention for the most part, although they love to do projects with me and so do I, but it's easy to get distracted. We are involved in many activities and get together regularly with our homeschooling community but by most peoples' overscheduled standards our life is pretty laid back and mellow. I've learned over the last seven years of homeschooling not to try to force us into a schedule that doesn't fit with our natural inclinations (we are all naturally nightowls and not morning people so we don't schedule anything before 10:30 am (and that is our "early" day). So my advice is to know yourself and build set activities in that you know you can stick with.

While part of me envies you having so much free time the truth is I would miss my kids terribly if they were in school all day, five days a week, and I wouldn't trade my time with them for any other activity or hobby.
  • tpayne0453
    Options

So then you're looking for motivation, not ideas?

Well, really both. I'm new to the SAHM routine after working full time since high school, so tips and motivation are appreciated.
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Not sure how much longer I'll be a SAHM, it's sad because I love being home with my baby girl. Hoping I can kick my photography up a notch and not have to go back to work.

I wake up by 7. 7:30 most mornings, before my daughter, my husband gets up and takes our son to the bus stop, it works out perfect that way. When I get up I workout, doing T25 right now, I don't go to a gym or anything only have workout DVD's.

Usually about an hour after my workout my little girl is up. So then it's play time with mommy, we do some work, working on potty training and her speech, teaching her alphabet and so on.

10 am is her favorite show on Nike, Bubble guppies so that's my time to do some cleaning and photo editing or whatever else I need to do.

11:30 is lunch time, I'll cook us a good healthy lunch, the girl would rather eat off my plate so I just add extra and we enjoy lunch together.

12:30 is nap time, she takes a nap for about 2.5 hours, so by time her brother is home from school, she's getting up. Then it's homework time with brother, shortly after that, husband is getting in from work, so then it's time to start preparing dinner.
  • onwarddownward
    onwarddownward Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    My days vary. Fpr a while, after my kids were all in full time school, which was just recently, since i had been cyber schooling my son who is 13 and has autism until August 19th of this year. After that, I sort of went on a daily shopping bender.

Every day I would shop. I bought all kinds of stuff. Then I got sick and since then I have been trying to not medicate with shopping, either online or in person.

I have painted my baseboards this year, since the kids went to school. I usually do a the laundry twice a week, I batch it, rather than doing a bit each day, that way I fold more at one time but get it over all at once.

I try to get my floors cleaned every day with the vacuum. I have old wood floors and an old golden retriever and kids who drop stuff, so I try to keep that mess cleaned up once a day.

I keep the dishes cleaned, that's harder since our dishwasher has been broken since June 28th. So I handwash. I try to keep the sink empty and clean. Our kitchen is 8x10, so there is no room for mess, I literally HAVE to keep up on this, although I hate cleaning with a passion.

And, since i have been sick, I take a nap before the kids get home so that I can deal with homework and their attitudes (ages 9, 13 and 15).

So that's pretty much my day. I also take the dog out to pee, poop and I deal with the mail, the bills, etc.

I wish I could say my house was spotless, but it's not. But it sure is better than it was when the kids were all out for the summer. At least now if a neighbor comes by, which is often, I am ok with it and not cringing and wishing they would leave.

I have been out of the workplace for 15 years, except for a stint at my son's school as the cafeteria janitor two hours a day, five days a week. It was horribly, demeaning work, because the people at the church school were mean to me and acted like all I was was a janitor. They even addressed me as "The Janitor". I like working at home much better.
  • Achaila
    Achaila Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    What do I do? Everything? I wish I could answer that question when people ask me. I have a 2 year old who is EXTREMELY active and a 3 month old. I just do things. Cook, clean, take care of my kids. Since time to myself is pretty not non existent (my husband works out of town for weeks at a time and I do not know anyone where I live and won't send my kids to daycare) I incorporate my kids into physical activities I do. I put my youngest in a sling and my oldest on his tricycle that has a handle I can push on the back and we go around the blocks a few times. I dance around with them. I'll mess with little hand weights while my oldest is watching morning cartoons and my youngest is napping. Its not that hard. You could do whatever you want. If you want it bad enough, you'll figure out a way to make it work.
  • tpayne0453
    Options
    Thank you!!! Seriously! I love hearing the different takes on my question.
  • BringingSherriBack
    Options
    I am a single parent of a 4th grader and work full-time so I have all the parenting responsibilities and all the household responsibilities. I do kickboxing on Thursday evenings and Saturday mornings and just take my daughter along (she either joins in or plays on her Kindle to pass the time) and I walk a couple times a week during my lunch break at work. If you have the desire you will find the time to workout.

Maybe plan out your days just like you did when you worked and schedule your times for workouts, cleaning, shopping, etc.