Itchy Legs

My legs itch so bad that using the treadmill is a bad idea. Walking outside is more temp related it seems. On Monday I was fine, temp a bit higher. Today they itched really bad. I've talked to my derm dr and he suggested an antihistamine, but it makes me feel weird. Any other ideas?

Replies

• hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    The better shape you get in, the less the itchiness happens. At least that's how it was for me.
  • annakow
    annakow Posts: 385 Member
    have you just started going to the gym? its propably your muscles. dont worry :)
  • jorge_007
    jorge_007 Posts: 70 Member
    HA HA HA I remember those days when I first started running in 2010. It's normal and it will go away once your body gets in better shape.
  • veggiegirl228
    veggiegirl228 Posts: 27 Member
    I've been going to the gym for years now. I do 40 min cardio and weights three times each week. I talk a walk in the mornings, daily or almost daily. It hasn't always been like this.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    I remember that when I first started running - it goes away. I really doubt it's anything an antihistamine would help.
  • Any time I go for a walk after a while without doing so I get that too. Just keep doing it and it will go away on it's own.
  • BobbieInCA
    BobbieInCA Posts: 102 Member
    Try a Benadryl topical ream...over the counter.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    My daughter and I had the same thing when we started running. She calls it the jiggly bits that flop and get itchy. It does go away as you lose weight and shape up. Compression shorts or pants can help keep everything from jiggling. It's also a product of increased blood flow to that part of your body. I doubt an antihistamine would do anything.
  • It could potentially be an Iron deficiency too, so Iron tablets might help.

It's worth checking with your quack.
  • twikoff
    twikoff Posts: 65 Member
    i use to have bad problems with itchy legs
    switched to a body wash with moisturizer in it.. never had another issue
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    If it's an allergy, perhaps use Benadryl creme directly on your legs.That should not cause twitching, drowsiness or any other side affect.

Could be dry skin, apply lotion.
  • HA HA HA I remember those days when I first started running in 2010. It's normal and it will go away once your body gets in better shape.

:huh:

I never had itchy legs when I started running.

OP: Perhaps you should talk to your doctor about this issue. It doesn't sound normal.
  • Artemis_Acorn
    Artemis_Acorn Posts: 836 Member
    This is a symptom of poor circulation. I had it even as a teenager, trying to jog on the high-school track. When a sedentary person with poor circulation starts exercising, a greater amount of blood is forced into the vessels in their epidermal and subcutaneous skin layers, creating an itching sensation. This effect is worse in cold weather, when your veins naturally constrict to prevent a drop in body temperature. The others are correct - your body will adapt over time, and the problem will fade and then go away eventually if you push through it. Try wearing some thermal underwear leggings when the weather is cooler, and make sure you're hydrated, which helps the blood be a bit thinner.

I found that if I slow down or even take a rest for a few minutes when the itching begins, the itching clears up, and then I could go faster again until the itching started back up. (Repeat as many times as necessary) Don't let this become an obstacle. The problem will pass as your blood vessels build up to accommodate the additional blood flow stimulated by the walking/running etc., but only if you're regular about it.

Good luck
  • rachiefofo
    rachiefofo Posts: 34 Member
    I've had this issue too, like crazyyy itchy!! I heard (don't quote me) that it's from lack of blood circulation in your legs (not working out/running a lot)... my guess is it will go away with time.

Itching legs from chaffing is different, i'd try long compression shorts or some type of powder/gel etc.

good luck!
  • Artemis_Acorn
    Artemis_Acorn Posts: 836 Member
    If you're into alternative medicine, the herbal supplement "Horse Chestnut" has been proven to help with venous insufficiency, (aka poor circulation) I took it for awhile to help accelerate getting past the itchy stage. I only needed one bottle of it before the exercise itself improved my circulation. If you're on any prescription meds though, be sure to check with your doc to make sure it won't interact.
  • You've got your juices flowing now - circulation will get better the more you move around, until then, itchy.
  • Loulady
    Loulady Posts: 511 Member
    Yeah, I get the itchy legs, too. It's maddening, but it does eventually go away.
  • jorge_007
    jorge_007 Posts: 70 Member
    HA HA HA I remember those days when I first started running in 2010. It's normal and it will go away once your body gets in better shape.

:huh:

I never had itchy legs when I started running.

OP: Perhaps you should talk to your doctor about this issue. It doesn't sound normal.
    [/quote

The itchiness depends on your fitness level. If you live a sedentary life you are likely to have itchy legs when running. When you exercise (run,) the arteries and capillaries inside the muscle expand rapidly because they are demanding more blood. A fit person's capillaries will remain open allowing for sufficient blood to flow. The difference between a fit and an unfit person is that these capillaries collapse going back to minimal blood flow on an unfit person. The capillaries expand again and collapse and cause adjacent nerves to send a message to your brain that erroneously reads it as an itch sensations.

OP if you have a rash, then that is a completely different thing. Dry skin, laundry detergent may also cause you to become itchy.
  • bethannien
    bethannien Posts: 556 Member
    I had this problem. Running tights helped A LOT.
  • endoftheside
    endoftheside Posts: 568 Member
    At certain temperature/humidity combinations, my legs itch like crazy upon exertion. Keeping them super warm (double layers) helps.