Glute Machine - Not Feeling the Burn, Suggestions?

Options
Attention Booty Aficionados!
So! I've been working on lower body machines (leg extension, ham curl, etc) at the gym since about the last week of August. Everything is super-duper and I'm really liking it.

Except this machine:
http://www.paradisegatefitnesscenter.com/images/glute-machine.jpg
http://b.vimeocdn.com/ts/208/013/208013917_640.jpg

I don't know if I'm not doing things right, but I don't feel it in my glutes at all. I feel it in my quads. I watched instructional videos on YouTube, and I do what they say, but I still don't feel anything. I've tried increasing weight, but still feel it in my quads.

What do you guys think? If I don't feel it in my glutes, are they actually being worked? Should I keep this machine in my rotation or just ditch it? Any troubleshooting suggestions?

PS
I know squats are best for the booty, but I have a weird knee due to a car accident. I use the seated leg press to kind of replace squats when my knee cooperates. I know it's not TECHNICALLY the same but I gotta get my glutes worked somehow. I also do cable kickbacks to try and compensate for my squatlessness.

Replies

• Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    That machine is good.. keep it.. just cause you don't feel it doesn't mean it doesn't work.. Make sure the padding is mid chest high, and you extend your leg all the way and bring it back to where the weight is just about to rest, and your pushing from your upper foot area (above the arch a bit) but not on the toes.. And make sure you go slow and pause a few seconds at each points .. and increase weight.
  • GKoz004
    Options
    That machine is good.. keep it.. just cause you don't feel it doesn't mean it doesn't work.. Make sure the padding is mid chest high, and you extend your leg all the way and bring it back to where the weight is just about to rest, and your pushing from your upper foot area (above the arch a bit) but not on the toes.. And make sure you go slow and pause a few seconds at each points .. and increase weight.
    I'll try moving my foot. I usually have my foot closer to the heel, maybe that's the issue! I'll try it tomorrow, thanks!
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    If you have a Roman Chair at the gym, try some Glute-Ham Raises. I tend to feel them in my quads and hams at first, but my glutes definitely tell me later that they were worked. I actually haven't done them in a while. I'll have to reincorporate them next cycle.
  • GKoz004
    Options
    If you have a Roman Chair at the gym, try some Glute-Ham Raises. I tend to feel them in my quads and hams at first, but my glutes definitely tell me later that they were worked. I actually haven't done them in a while. I'll have to reincorporate them next cycle.
    I'll look and see if we have one. Cute pup btw! I love brindles, so pretty :)
  • jenluvsushi
    jenluvsushi Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    All the above plus this....check out strong curves. It is the booty builder and is all about hip thrusts and glute bridges. If you google it, you will find it. I'm a member of a group on FB called SC ladies too....and the author comments on there occasionally as well.
  • Gestahl
    Gestahl Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I've used that machine, and I've found it can be hard to get the right angle and "balance" of movement down. One thing you might try is physically pressing your fingers onto the glute muscle on the side of the leg being worked to help with concentrating on it. If you can't feel the glutes being worked, move your legs and adjust your posture until you do begin to feel it.
  • DOC2004
    Options
    I find that doing weighted lunges works better on glutes for me. Or power walking up a steep hill does good for me as well.
  • marie_2454
    marie_2454 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Maybe ask a trainer to help you out? That's kinda what they're there for, right? It might be easier for them to tell you what (if anything) you may be doing wrong since they'll be able to actually see you doing them. Do you do lunges? They totally suck, but are a good leg and butt workout :)
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    I used that machine and others, and liked what it did, but if it's an option for you, you'll get more bang for your buck (more booty for your burn?) with a barbell and squats & deadlifts.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    There are better ways to work your legs than that. Somebody else eluded to it with Squats and Deadlifts. Those are both very complete exercises that target all of your leg and even upper body. If you want posterior chain specific then you want,

- Straight leg deadlifts
    - Romanian deadlifts
    - Back Hyperextensions
    - Glute / Hip Bridge

Here's an entire article on butt training, http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/glutes_gone_wild
  • yankeedownsouth
    yankeedownsouth Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    OP has a bad knee from an accident and that's why she's not doing squats...
  • missADS1981
    missADS1981 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I love this machine.

I do 90lbs at 8 reps each side for 4 sets

Key here is to keep your back straight and not hunch over, really hold that extended leg for 2-3 seconds, squeeze and focus on the glute muscle. DONT use your arms to help you, if you find you are then hold one hand on the top of the grip and the other lower.

Key is to really focus on teh glute and SQUEEZE!
  • missADS1981
    missADS1981 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    There are better ways to work your legs than that. Somebody else eluded to it with Squats and Deadlifts. Those are both very complete exercises that target all of your leg and even upper body. If you want posterior chain specific then you want,

- Straight leg deadlifts
    - Romanian deadlifts
    - Back Hyperextensions
    - Glute / Hip Bridge

Here's an entire article on butt training, http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/glutes_gone_wild

Yes but she wrote she really can't do proper form due to a knee injury from a car accident. Squats might never work for her
  • StrictlyPro
    Options
    Not feeling a burn doesn't mean you aren't getting results. That said I'm with the other people and would suggest moving on to a simple novice barbell lifting routine and throwing in some glute bridge>hip thrust work at the end of the core lifting routine for a little extra.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options

- Straight leg deadlifts
    - Romanian deadlifts
    - Back Hyperextensions
    - Glute / Hip Bridge

Yes but she wrote she really can't do proper form due to a knee injury from a car accident. Squats might never work for her

Oops, missed that piece. Either way, the 4 other exercises I mentioned are pretty superior to that machine in-terms of benefit to your posterior chain which includes the glutes and require less knee stabilization than what that machine does. Checkout the article I posted for some additional background and ideas on training your butt.
  • Tobi1013
    Tobi1013 Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I find that doing weighted lunges works better on glutes for me. Or power walking up a steep hill does good for me as well.

OP, if your knee can take it, I'm also in the weighted lunge camp. Standing, walking, matters not...I ALWAYS feel lunges in my butt withing the 48 hrs after doing them (dealing with some *kitten* DOMS today, in fact, because I did them on Tuesday). Oh, and if your knee can handle Bulgarian split squats, they will do your booty good, too!
  • KristinNicole82
    KristinNicole82 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I dislike machines. The only one I use for legs it the leg extension machine. I agree with the other above, lounges, dead lifts, heavy weighted step ups and stability ball hamstring curls.
  • GKoz004
    Options
    I sent private replies to everyone since my phone usually messes up posts in a forum. Thanks for all the suggestions!
  • Mrsallypants
    Mrsallypants Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    I have seen over the years that different people have different reactions to different exercises. For example, considering thigh training, the general recommendation is barbell squats, but for some people like Mr. Olympia Dorian Yates barbell squats didn't work for him the way leg press and hack squats did.

If you have the mobility to deep squat almost *kitten* to ground, that will hit the glutes.

Some exercises to try for glutes are hip thrusts, glute bridges, hyperextensions, glute ham raises, deadlifts or stiff legged (with straight back!) or Romanian deadlifts.

Find a whole list of glute exercises here: http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/dispelling_the_glute_myth

Take measurements, eat a slight calorie surplus above maintenance and 1 gram of protein per pound of bodyweight. Give your body enough fuel to grow as the glutes are a muscle. Experiment with different exercises, if something isn't working for you, nix it and try something else.