Mike O’Hearn’s Power Bodybuilding

Options
Anyone have any experience with his routine? I have done some research and agree with it but just want some inside intel from anyone who has tried it.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/mike-ohearn-power-bodybuilding-12-week-training-program.html

Replies

• StrictlyPro
    Options
    It looks like a 5 day bodypart split which is not the best way for a novice or even intermediate lifter to train. That said, any kind of progressive training along with a calorie surplus will give some results. If you don't care about optimal results, go for it. If you do want optimal results, go with something that has a volume, frequency, and intensity more in line with your current training level and goals.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Anyone have any experience with his routine? I have done some research and agree with it but just want some inside intel from anyone who has tried it.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/mike-ohearn-power-bodybuilding-12-week-training-program.html

It's actually not really a new concept or anything like that. Using powerlifting type movements (bench, squat, deadlift) to build strength and supporting those exercises with isolation type work using body building training volume is common. Training systems such as 5/3/1, Westside, and Cube Method all employ that methodology. I couldn't listen to the sound of the video at work but if it is a 5-day split it might not be idea. That's probably better for more advanced-intermediate or somebody supporting their training with some kind of PED's.
  • StrictlyPro
    Options

It's actually not really a new concept or anything like that. Using powerlifting type movements (bench, squat, deadlift) to build strength and supporting those exercises with isolation type work using body building training volume is common. Training systems such as 5/3/1, Westside, and Cube Method all employ that methodology. I couldn't listen to the sound of the video at work but if it is a 5-day split it might not be idea. That's probably better for more advanced-intermediate or somebody supporting their training with some kind of PED's.

Funny thing is that while people on PEDs get great results from splits, they would probably get even better results with something else. Unless we are talking about the people who would actually have any business being on PEDs who are advanced enough to warrant a split in the first place.
  • JNick77
    Options

Funny thing is that while people on PEDs get great results from splits, they would probably get even better results with something else. Unless we are talking about the people who would actually have any business being on PEDs who are advanced enough to warrant a split in the first place.

I really couldn't say to be honest. Using PED's changes everything.
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options

I would consider myself more of an intermediate lifter. I have been an athlete most of my life. I am currently doing SL 5x5 since the beginning of the year and have seen great results in the area of strength. I just want to change up the pace some while still having something that is strength oriented and this looked like something that would fit.
  • JNick77
    Options

I would consider myself more of an intermediate lifter. I have been an athlete most of my life. I am currently doing SL 5x5 since the beginning of the year and have seen great results in the area of strength. I just want to change up the pace some while still having something that is strength oriented and this looked like something that would fit.

You may want to try something more along the lines of,

1. MadCow 5x5 (follow-up to SL5x5)
    2. 5/3/1 (purchase Beyond 5/3/1 ebook)
    3. Cube Method

You could always try O'Hearns for a month or two and see what it's like. That's just my initial impression of the program. I'm leery of any program that uses marketing like that behind it. The best strength programs that I've been exposed to (5/3/1, Cube, Westside) don't have any gimmicky marketing videos behind them, just results and well respected authors / coaches.