going to disney ...help!

maroon58
maroon58 Posts: 289 Member
edited September 21 in Health and Weight Loss
hey everyone! i am hitting up disney soon and wanted to know of any good snacks i could bring along? obviously, we are staying in a hotel so won't have access to making our own meals. i know we will be eating out t for all meals. i want to bring some snacks that maybe i can keep in my backpack and i won't feel the need to eat one of their yummy churros. i have almonds so far, lol! also, are you allowed to bring in water bottles? i am a bit bummed because i have to take 3 days off my exercise routine but i know i will be walking lots, so hopefully, my weight will maintain. tia!

Replies

• iluvwdw
    iluvwdw Posts: 287 Member
    Yes, you are allowed to bring water. When I went I went in with at least three bottles on me, well 4. One in my hand, one on my lanyard, one attached to my hip via carbonair (sp) clip thingy, and one with my son. I know of many others who pack lunches in their backpacks such as pbj, etc. (not recommending these) but know that it has been done. And if you are walking so much why not have just ONE yummy churro? Maybe apples, etc. Can't really think of what else that would be good so long in the heat!

I think you will be fine. Last time I went I was on the Meal Plan and had one sit down meal every day and one fast serve meal every day. My sit downs were usually meat and potatoes and veggies. My fast serve meals were usually bugers and fries, or something that was not good. I am not recommmending you do this, however, my weight maintained and I think I dropped a few pounds too while there.

Sorry I was not much help! Have a wonderful trip!! I am soo jealous! Just try to make your eat out meals have lots of veggies.

Good luck have an awesome time.
  • You will be just a few minutes away from me then lol.... And in my 2nd place of seasonal employment.... I have taken a break though...as far as the food if you want good food at a reasonable price they have the quick service restaurant at the Port Orleans resort and there is an area that serves spaghetti and meatsauce or meatballs (try the kids size plenty of a meal for 1 adult) grapes and carrots///then you will get a drink with it I believe it's still 3.95 oooorrrr you can pack a mediume size lunch cooler with 4 ice pakcs a sandwhich for every one with : sliced turkey ham (5grams of protein) sargentos sharp cheddar cheese (4grams of protein) and honey heat bread by Nature's pride...for snacks pack BAKED lays Doritos instead of Pringles (the calories are fewer) Pack a bag of grapes and the iced oatmeal cookies by walmart (in the purple pack) have 1-2 cookies (they r 65 cals a piece so be limited) they have NO HYDROGENATED OILS !....to drink for the packed lunch try juicey juice juice boxes...I hope this helps...enjoy send me a message when you get in town :-) have a blessed one..
    1086310.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • have fun at disney!! im jealous

yummy snacks-any 100 calorie packs for craving (even though are empty calories they can do they trick)
    fiber one bars~!!! my fav or Kashi tlc cereal bars (me and my picky friend love them)
    apple sauce (get the serving size portable ones- no need to refrigerate)

since youre on vacation try and have yummy healthy meal
    like if you get an omlette(sp) for breakfast get egg white with no cheese but with yummy veggies!
    -or egg whites with yummy fruit or TURKEY sausage!

try grilled meats and seafood for dinner with steamed veggies

BUT AT LEAST DO whatever you want for one meal!! just makeup for it with a great workout when you get home and VOW to never do it again :)
  • pink_and_shiny
    pink_and_shiny Posts: 1,036 Member
    Sorry double post.
  • pink_and_shiny
    If you go to Le Cellier Steakhouse or Sci-Fi Dine-In and don't eat whatever your heart desires I'm going to be a sad panda. You have to have a little bit of vacation food when you're on your vacation! There is SO much walking at WDW, that you'll surely burn off at least a churro or Mickey ice cream sandwich.

I'd say bring some granola or fruit bars with you, or a bag or two of wheat crackers that you'd like. Just don't bring full meals in with you, because that's technically against Disney's rules. While you're really not supposed to be bringing in ANY outside food or beverage, you can get in with your own water and little snacks and not have any problems.

And at Disneyland, we've got lots of healthier outdoor vending carts popping up. They're full of whole fruits, veggie packs, water, and sports drinks. I'd think that WDW would have similar offerings, so you can keep an eye out for those.

Have a magical time!
  • cutmd
    cutmd Posts: 1,168 Member
    Oh, hurray for Disneyland! I'm overdue for a return trip myself. Go on Space Mountain and extra time for me. Every summer we'd get there when the park opened and sprint like lunatics to that ride! That will help burn some calories. You actually might enjoy wearing a pedometer while there so you don't feel idle and get a reward for walking clear across the park for the spinning tea cups.

I agree you should eat what you want as long as it doesn't make you sick. If they still have smoked turkey legs they are delicious and high protein.

pink_and_shiny, you seem to be a Disney girl! If you have any sway definitely keep the vegetable options coming, I am already impressed with the work being done for those of us with gluten allergies, what a great company.
  • dzdame
    dzdame Posts: 89
    We went to WDW this summer and I have to say I was worried about putting on lbs, but I came home and had lost 1 lb! We were on the meal plan, so I ate more food than I had in months, including icecream, pizza and other yummy desserts..There are lots of healthy alternatives in the parks these days..lots of fruits and vegies at the fast food places and the buffets..I also tried the frozen bananas when we stopped for an icecream break one day-yummy! I tried to balance things out as best as I could, but the buffet at Boma was just too good to even try! You will be doing so much walking that I wouldn't worry too much. I also managed to sneak in a few early am workouts in the hotel gym, but more to just keep up a routine than anything..I also brought resistance bands with me to do in our hotel room...We brought bottles of water in with us every day and still ended up buying water or using the meal plan snack credit. Have a blast and don't worry about it too much. It is such a magical place! My husband kept waiting for people to wish him a "magical day" when we returned, but sadly that did not happen! lol
  • Beth720
    Beth720 Posts: 661 Member
    Are you staying on property? A lot of the on-property resorts have walking/jogging trails. You could always get up early and hit that. And if you're in a Deluxe or Coronado Springs, they have fitness centers.

We're going over Christmas and staying at Caribbean Beach - I've already scoped out the jogging trail online since I'll have to get up early Christmas morning to do 8 miles for my half marathon training. It'll be about 8 trips around their lake.

I'm going to not go overboard with what I eat, but I'm not really going to worry about it that much because yes, you walk a LOT more than you do on a normal day when you're at the World.

Have a blast!!
  • When I go to WDW, I usually bring a stainless steel water bottle and refill it from the water fountain (that way you don't have to carry around a ton of bottles). As for snacks I usually bring trail mix, whole wheat crackers, kashi bars....or things like that. You will be walking plenty so I wouldn't worry too much about it. Have a great time!!!
  • tissyazd
    tissyazd Posts: 221 Member
    I went to Sesame Place this summer. Not NEARLY as big as Disney. I didn't log calories and just didn't go crazy, but ate what I wanted. WIth all the walking around, I maintained. I really wouldn't stress too much about it. It's Disney!! Go have fun, just don't go stuff yourself everyday all day! I can't wait until I take my little girl one day!
  • ChubbieTubbie
    ChubbieTubbie Posts: 481 Member
    We love Disney! You can bring in outside food and drink--I don't plan on obsessing over calories when we go in a few months, but but you can always bring sandwich fixings and make sandwiches to bring with you to eat in the parks. Bring water! Also pack 100-cal packs, nuts, things like that. Even when I eat burgers and fries, the walking balances out the calories I eat and I've never gained on a Disney trip and we go every odd year. I have 2 very picky kids and we're going to be bringing them a pb&j and carrot sticks every day for lunch while we're there.
  • pink_and_shiny
    pink_and_shiny, you seem to be a Disney girl! If you have any sway definitely keep the vegetable options coming, I am already impressed with the work being done for those of us with gluten allergies, what a great company.

Haha I sure am! Just a little obsessed. Annual Pass, Disney message board member, 95% of all my Halloween and Christmas decorations Disney-related...:laugh: I just enjoy it so much! Disneyland was designed to be the place where you can escape reality and find yourself in a magical world where there are no worries and everything is shiny, happy, and pretty. I call it my snowglobe of happiness. I wish I had sway with the company, but alas I don't. BUT, I will report on here when I find a new healthy dining option available! Only news I have right now is that Cafe Orleans raised their prices. Phooey. Y'know, I wonder if Disney has nutrition information available somewhere. I may have to make that one of my projects to work on, to find out the nutritional info for some of the quick serve and most of the full serve restaurants. Then again, maybe I don't want to know what's really in the corn dogs. :huh:

verticalchaos - I think it is awesome that you've mapped out jogging trails! I stayed at the Caribbean Beach resort and can just imagine you running around their lake. How fun! You could even do a little work in the sand, right? To get a little resistance and have more muscles involved?
    My husband kept waiting for people to wish him a "magical day" when we returned, but sadly that did not happen! lol

Aww, your poor hubby! I hope next time you guys go the Cast Members you encounter share that signature greeting with you.
  • Megooo19
    Megooo19 Posts: 199
    I have an annual pass too! I love Disneyland. I recommend granola bars and fruit (that wont mush) and veggies like baby carrots. Dont be too hard on yourself though, the last time I was at Disneyland I walked over 10 miles in one day. Talk about some serious calorie burn! Just have fun!
  • Beth720

verticalchaos - I think it is awesome that you've mapped out jogging trails! I stayed at the Caribbean Beach resort and can just imagine you running around their lake. How fun! You could even do a little work in the sand, right? To get a little resistance and have more muscles involved?

Actually they already have it mapped out. I just looked it up. It's approximately 1.2 miles. My training for the WDW Half that week has me doing a long run/walk of 8 miles on Saturday...which happens to be Christmas day. Ah well...it'll help burn off all those calories I'll be eating!!

And yeah... I'll fly back to NYC on the 27th and be here until January 6, when I'll fly back down, check BACK into Caribbean Beach (I'm so tempted to ask if I can just leave stuff with Bell Services. Ha!!), and run/walk the Half Marathon on January 8. Sooooo excited!!!

Which Disney message boards are you on?
  • maroon58
    maroon58 Posts: 289 Member
    wow, thanks everyone for the responses! i am not too worried since i know i will be walking lots. plus, i am going to try and eat as healthy as i can. its a vacation right? luckily, i am going for a short time so i think i will manage fine. def will bring water bottles and maybe some granola bars/almonds along. i am so excited and cannot wait!
  • dzdame
    dzdame Posts: 89
    Oh, but they did! Everywhere we went, the cast members were wishing us a "magical day". My husband jokingly wanted to know why he wasn't being wished that once we returned home. I guess maybe from the people who work at the Starbucks or at the bank, etc...If only people were so happy and nice everywhere!
  • Beth720
    If you like pineapple, go to Aloha Isle in the Magic Kingdom and get a Dole Whip. It's dairy-free pineapple soft serve. If you get just the soft serve itself in a cup, it's 80 calories per 1/2 cup! YUMMY!!!!
  • pink_and_shiny
    Actually they already have it mapped out. I just looked it up. It's approximately 1.2 miles. My training for the WDW Half that week has me doing a long run/walk of 8 miles on Saturday...which happens to be Christmas day. Ah well...it'll help burn off all those calories I'll be eating!!

And yeah... I'll fly back to NYC on the 27th and be here until January 6, when I'll fly back down, check BACK into Caribbean Beach (I'm so tempted to ask if I can just leave stuff with Bell Services. Ha!!), and run/walk the Half Marathon on January 8. Sooooo excited!!!

Which Disney message boards are you on?

I was wondering if you were doing the WDW half marathon. That's so cool! We just had the DL half marathon and 5K. You might as well ask the bell desk about keeping your stuff - since they're so good at trying to make all requests happen they may just be able to do it, especially since you're participating in an event of theirs.

I'm on MiceChat. Just a little addicted. :D
    I have an annual pass too! I love Disneyland. I recommend granola bars and fruit (that wont mush) and veggies like baby carrots. Dont be too hard on yourself though, the last time I was at Disneyland I walked over 10 miles in one day. Talk about some serious calorie burn! Just have fun!

AP high five!
    wow, thanks everyone for the responses! i am not too worried since i know i will be walking lots. plus, i am going to try and eat as healthy as i can. its a vacation right? luckily, i am going for a short time so i think i will manage fine. def will bring water bottles and maybe some granola bars/almonds along. i am so excited and cannot wait!

I think being excited burns calories since your heart rate is elevated...TOTALLY counts as exercise. ;)
    Oh, but they did! Everywhere we went, the cast members were wishing us a "magical day". My husband jokingly wanted to know why he wasn't being wished that once we returned home. I guess maybe from the people who work at the Starbucks or at the bank, etc...If only people were so happy and nice everywhere!

DUH. I get what you're saying now. *facepalm*

[Homer Simpson voice] Mmmm, Dole Whip, *drool* [/Homer Simpson voice] Didja know you can buy the Dole Whip mix online?! You can have a delicious pineapple treat whenever and wherever you are!
  • Glad to be of service to ya ! :-)
This discussion has been closed.