Hi, I'm lost

Options
Not sure what I should be putting in this box so I guess ill ramble for a bit. . .

I'm 5'8 and 1/2 and at my highest weight 332.4 (its all in my stomach) I would love to be under 200, 195ish. I basically need to lose a person.

I don't want to be one of those people who look back at their lives and wish they would have lost weight because there was so much they could have done or realized they spent their whole lives hating the way they looked, but I feel myself becoming that person. I cant remember a time when I didn't think I was fat or was proud of how I looked. I've never look in the mirror and like everything that I see. There's always something; my cheeks are soooo fat, my arms are sooo flabby, the permanent inner tube around my waist, and the back fat. . . ughh disgusting. Its has become so bad I wont even take pictures because that's when I look the worst, still, saggy nastiness. I don't know what he feels like to wear something that I'm in love with. I buy what fits and hides everything I hate about my body. I'm always the fat friend. The one everyone tells "you have such a pretty face" which translates to "At least you have that now, if only you were skinny". I go to the gym and I get on the treadmill and people want to talk to me about how hard it was for them to lose weight tell me to "hang in there, this is the first step". Am I the only one who feels some type of way about that? Its a little depressing to me for some reason. I guess because I know I'm fat and no matter how "nicely" you try to put it comments like that let me know that you see it too. You see my double chin, my thighs touching, and that I've only been on this damed treadmill running for literal 60 seconds and I'm sweating like I've been running for a hour. And now your encouragement just made feel like I cant do this. What am I thinking trying to lose weight? I've waited to long.

I cant do stuff because I'm to fat. I cant go skydiving, I cant go horse back riding I cant even get on a roller coaster, I cant thrift, I cant spend one day with out being self conscience about something. This body has become a prison and I'm so close to losing the battle for control it's scaring me its like there is a voice in my head telling me I wont be happy until I'm skinner but its being crushed by fat me, who keep saying embrace your curves this is the body you're to have for the rest of you life you're stuck with it now give me curly fries with lost of honey mustard! I don't want to be this person but changing feels impossible but I've never wanted anything so bad. I know how but actually doing it and sticking with it until I get the results I want ? I don't know how to do that. I feel hopeless like I screwed myself and the only fix is a bunch of surgeries that I will never be able to afford without hitting the lottery(mega-millions). I'm always able to fix my problems my self but no matter how hard I try this one wont go away. I need help, advice something anything I don't want to die not knowing what its like to love myself because I wouldn't love myself (if that makes sense I know it sounds cheesy).

I don't know why I'm here or what I'm even doing but I'm desperate I don't have the money to pay a trainer to keep me on track and I don't know how to do it myself but I don't want this life. All I think about is how great it would feel to be able to run in the evening when there's a little breeze how relaxing it looks how the people who pass by on the trail make it look so effortless, how the look so happy and so attractive. I want to be one of those people.

Replies

• jandjcassidy
    Options
    good for you for wanting to change your life!!! I will add you as a friend I'd love to help keep you motivated for your journey!
  • marsellient
    marsellient Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Take some time to look around MFP. Read the success stories on the forums, read the advice given in the community topics, decide on little changes you can make to get started. You are absolutely not alone. Good luck!
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    The first step to change is wanting to change and you have that down. You can do this and there are tons of people on here who can help you if you want. It is a new world and alot of people feel a little bit lost and overwhelmed by it at first so you are not alone in that. Try to make some friends on here, it will give you a cheering squad and some of them add a little bit of fun or flare to things and people who can help answer questions for you. Best of luck on your journey, feel free to friend me if you want to.
  • fryxgal
    fryxgal Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have struggled all my life with my weight as well. I wasn't able to start pulling things together until I was 50. Like you, I've been overweight all my life and couldn't remember ever being a normal weight. I pretty knew what to eat and that I needed to exercise. I'm good at losing weight - I've probably lost 300-500 pounds over my life. The problem is always put it right back on. My main problem was me. I would sabotage myself at every turn. It was like one side of my brain wanted to make changes and the other side thought there was no hope, and so would sabotage every effort. Then when I failed again, I would tell myself "see I knew you couldn't do it." Then I felt even worse. I tried to "get motivated," but that never came. One day I woke up and realized that I was ruining my body. I had a real fear that I wouldn't live very long at my current pace. I told myself, "ok girl, you can either get busy living or get busy dying." In that moment I realized that I really wanted to live a full life. I guess all I can say is you have to change your mindset, make small changes, and do it over and over and over.

Part of the change in my mindset is that I realized I couldn't do it alone. I'm just not strong enough. I had a revival of my spirit and turned back to God for help. I'm not saying you have to go to church. But I do think that you have to find something that you can put your trust in, and for me that was God.

On the ground level here's what I actually put in my mouth. I decided to try clean eating habits. I've tried diet foods all my life and I've only gained weight, been unsatisfied, and I don't like how diet food tastes. I decided to push vegetables and fruits, while cutting back on meat. I try to avoid processed foods and diet foods as much as possible.

I would love to friend you and support you how I can.
  • louisegibbs85
    louisegibbs85 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Well done for taking it upon yourself to better yourself ... that's the first step. Looking at the bigger picture can be a bit daunting so make little goals and reach them one by one, you will be surprised at how quickly the time passes . Sure you will find the support and advice you need on this site as many others have ... feel free to add :)
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,754 Member
    Options
    Good for you. You came to the right place too.

Try these three things:
    Read this:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819925-the-basics-don-t-complicate-it

Then this:
    http://blog.myfitnesspal.com/2013/08/

Then go to the success stories thread and read what people who have made this work for them have in their diaries, it is the best way to learn what to eat if you need help deciding how to eat. People have lost weight and still eaten the occasional MacD, others have become vegan, different strokes for different folks. I like 40carb/30fats/30protein eating but hey it isn't for everyone.

This can be an amazing journey for you if you relax, track to learn how you really are eating, and move a bit more, doesn't have to be dramatic unless that is what you want.

This is all about YOU.
  • critelyn72
    critelyn72 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    hello new here I am Christy,

I am already into the journey towards surgery in January 2014

I am struggling to soda & coffee addiction and walking 20 minutes a day need motivation & self-disciple I suppose.
    the surgery is called gastric sleeve, its where they cut 1/2 your tummy and remove it then staple shut all done by a laser.
    I'd like to meet with both pre & post op patients hear of their struggles and how over come them

I'd like to add you as friend I also need support and encouragement from others who suffer from self-doubt & low self-esteem when looking into mirror.
  • Pmscur
    Pmscur Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hurray for you! You are taking the first step. I find that having friend in MFP helps me log and keep motivated. The struggles we all have, the successes big and small help us all keep going. You can friend me if you like. I was one 203 lbs. started MFP. At 175 and am still fighting the fight. I am 49 years old and just like you want to see a different, healthier me. Remember you are beautiful and worth it!
  • lucidlol
    Options
    Not sure what I should be putting in this box so I guess ill ramble for a bit. . .

I'm 5'8 and 1/2 and at my highest weight 332.4 (its all in my stomach) I would love to be under 200, 195ish. I basically need to lose a person.

I don't want to be one of those people who look back at their lives and wish they would have lost weight because there was so much they could have done or realized they spent their whole lives hating the way they looked, but I feel myself becoming that person. I cant remember a time when I didn't think I was fat or was proud of how I looked. I've never look in the mirror and like everything that I see. There's always something; my cheeks are soooo fat, my arms are sooo flabby, the permanent inner tube around my waist, and the back fat. . . ughh disgusting. Its has become so bad I wont even take pictures because that's when I look the worst, still, saggy nastiness. I don't know what he feels like to wear something that I'm in love with. I buy what fits and hides everything I hate about my body. I'm always the fat friend. The one everyone tells "you have such a pretty face" which translates to "At least you have that now, if only you were skinny". I go to the gym and I get on the treadmill and people want to talk to me about how hard it was for them to lose weight tell me to "hang in there, this is the first step". Am I the only one who feels some type of way about that? Its a little depressing to me for some reason. I guess because I know I'm fat and no matter how "nicely" you try to put it comments like that let me know that you see it too. You see my double chin, my thighs touching, and that I've only been on this damed treadmill running for literal 60 seconds and I'm sweating like I've been running for a hour. And now your encouragement just made feel like I cant do this. What am I thinking trying to lose weight? I've waited to long.

I cant do stuff because I'm to fat. I cant go skydiving, I cant go horse back riding I cant even get on a roller coaster, I cant thrift, I cant spend one day with out being self conscience about something. This body has become a prison and I'm so close to losing the battle for control it's scaring me its like there is a voice in my head telling me I wont be happy until I'm skinner but its being crushed by fat me, who keep saying embrace your curves this is the body you're to have for the rest of you life you're stuck with it now give me curly fries with lost of honey mustard! I don't want to be this person but changing feels impossible but I've never wanted anything so bad. I know how but actually doing it and sticking with it until I get the results I want ? I don't know how to do that. I feel hopeless like I screwed myself and the only fix is a bunch of surgeries that I will never be able to afford without hitting the lottery(mega-millions). I'm always able to fix my problems my self but no matter how hard I try this one wont go away. I need help, advice something anything I don't want to die not knowing what its like to love myself because I wouldn't love myself (if that makes sense I know it sounds cheesy).

I don't know why I'm here or what I'm even doing but I'm desperate I don't have the money to pay a trainer to keep me on track and I don't know how to do it myself but I don't want this life. All I think about is how great it would feel to be able to run in the evening when there's a little breeze how relaxing it looks how the people who pass by on the trail make it look so effortless, how the look so happy and so attractive. I want to be one of those people.

I love your passion and I wouldn't say that you're desperate, you're just looking for a change and you want help doing it. I was in the same spot watching people run by me on trails or just in public looking at thinking I wish I was as skinny as them, life must be so much easier.

I think my breaking point was when i hit a 52 waist. That was my wake up call and you have found yours. The reason you're here is to get some advice and motivation, that's what were all here for.

In regards to your money situation, you don't have to have a personal trainer, I bought one...didn't help, he didn't even know what he was doing. There are tons of workouts you can do from home. I would suggest if you have an android phone take a look at Alpha trainer (its free) You can setup workouts that cater around your desires and goals. You can work hard at it. I know from experience, weight lose is a struggle its hard, but you have to persist.

Feel free to add me, we can motivate each other!
  • mjharman
    mjharman Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I want you to know that you CAN DO THIS! You can lose weight. You can be happy and skinny and beautiful.

I remember feeling trapped in my body, not knowing what to do, thinking I'd tried everything I could. Finally I got medical help. I saw a dietitian. And I learned that I CAN DO THIS. Once I KNEW this, it became easy. I am still far from goal, but I feel so much better about myself. I will get there...I know I will. AND SO WILL YOU...YOU JUST GOTTA BELIEVE!!

There are several inspiring blogs that you can read. One is Kevin...read about his journey that started last October. Especially read the post from August, SOMEBODY ONCE TOLD ME.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/BeingKevin

Another inspiration is Kat. You can read her blog here:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/1yoyoKAT

You are not lost, for you found your way here. Now, LETS GET STARTED!
  • mrscool5
    Options
    To me the first thing you need to do is get out of the "I can't" mindset. You CAN do anything you set your mind to, you just need to find something and DO it. Then build on that. Start small. Take a walk. Even if it's just around your desk or around the living room. Later on do it again. Then again. Do it twice without stopping. Etc. Every little bit of activity you do will add up until you can do more. I have a mostly sit down job, but I go the long way anytime I have to go anywhere. I volunteer to bring things to people when they need it. I just wander around at break time chatting people up. I started walking at lunch for 10 minutes...now I walk 30 minutes. I wear a pedometer and mostly I'm up to 7000-8000 steps for the day - I just got back from my lunch walk and I'm at 5205, which measures out at close to 2 1/2 miles. Yeah, my hips hurt some after awhile, especially when I first started, but I just kept going and trying to go a little bit farther every time. Oh, and did I mention that I'm about an inch shorter and weigh fairly close to the same.....I think a few pounds under now because I've been at this for a couple of months now (on this website for not quite that long) but I started this HEAVIER and SHORTER than you. And I'm really not gonna mention how the heck much OLDER I am as well. That's just too depressing. ;-)

Remember, it didn't take overnight to get to where you are and it certainly won't take overnight to get away either. However, every little step you take is a step in the right direction. Focus on the positive. Focus on what you CAN do. It's not necessarily easy, but I think the more you do it the more it feels like normal behavior and then eventually it's a habit and just how your mind works. Yeah, I kinda screwed up and went "off reservation" last night....but you know what? It was a far cry from what I used to do. My calorie goal is supposed to be around 1500. This test my doctors office gave me said I burn about 2000 calories a day. Yesterday I went way beyond that 1500, beyond adding in calories for my exercise....beyond what my body "burns." Hell I used to fall off the wagon so bad I LOST the wagon completely. I swear at times I probably ate the durn thing! But today, right now, at this moment....I just walked for 30 minutes straight, at a pace fast enough that my hair was all flappy in the breeze. I have eaten my "new normal" breakfast and lunch and I'm not particularly hungry. It occurred to me a few weeks back that being hungry might not feel too great, but is it honestly going to hurt me? Not for a loooooooooong while, so I just try to deal with it. (Not till I'm ready to eat my fingers hungry, but munchy hungry.)

Okay, and I've rambled all the way around and back.... And yeah, I'm kinda like this in real person too. Scary, huh? Anyway, to make a looooong reply short...... YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • SailorSarah311
    SailorSarah311 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    The first step to this is admitting that you have a problem. You can check that off the list. The next step is to rethink your day. How are you going to change your routine to better yourself? This could be cutting back on the amount of tv watched, or taking an extra walk outside. What dietary changes are you going to make? This could be cutting back on the sugary foods, or trying a new "healthy" dish each day. Your change doesn't have to be drastic to start off, but it will slowly get better. There is a mistake a lot of people make when rethinking their diet. One key item to look for when reading labels on food is the amount of sugar the item contains. You may think that some foods that are labeled as "low-fat or no-fat" would be healthier for you, but that may not be the case. Some of those foods have sugar added to them in order to make up for the lost flavor. The people making comments at the gym are just trying to help. Sometimes they don't realize that their comments hurt, but it is something that almost everyone goes through. You came to the right place to get help. We are all here for you. Congrats on starting a new journey in you life.
  • daveymac1
    daveymac1 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    I see you are in need of an *kitten* kicking. Please, let me boot you! :devil:
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    OP. I started at 337.

It's possible. It sucks at the first, but it becomes habit. I've picked up a few things since I've done this... and I post this same thing all over the place.

It might help here too:

1. don't trust the initial setup that MFP provides. If you put in the wrong/inaccurate information, it'll tell you to eat an amount that may not be applicable.
    2. Make sure you eat enough.
    3. Figure out what works for you and is sustainable/healthy/long term.
    4. avoid fads. don't buy in to any "Hey, try the twinkie and vodka diet"
    5. Don't cut out anything now that you don't plan on literally giving up forever.
    6. GET A FOOD SCALE. Weigh everything. No, seriously.
    7. Get an HRM with a chest strap. You'll at least have a better idea of what you're burning. It'll be more accurate than the generic info in the exercise database.. and even more than the cardio machines. This is great for steady state cardio (run/walk/etc)
    8. Don't go balls out. You'll burn out. I see 300 lb people show up here, instantly start working out and cutting their intake SEVERELY... trying to cut out all of their carbs at once.. whatever. Take it slow. Figure out how much you need to eat FIRST in order to lose.. then incorporate exercise.
    9. Don't cardio yourself to death.
    10. Take the information on the forums with a grain of salt. A lot of people that have been here for a while.. and have been successful, may seem jaded. They give out GREAT advice day after day, only to be met with people that refuse to listen.
    11. Eat real food. Not diet food. Not "low fat, sugar free, now without X." It's easier to get/find/count.
    12. don't set time restrictions.
    13. measure yourself weekly. Don't just weigh. Measure and take pictures.
    14 BE PATIENT.
    15. Avoid forum topics that have "1200" in the title. It's just full of butthurt. Lots of it.
    16. This isn't a game, it's about changing your lifestyle. Do that.

pretty much that.

...and don't fall into the "1200 calorie" vertigo of suck because of:

the typical MFP users does this:
    1. I wanna lose weight, let's try MFP.
    2. OH! Wow, it tells me I can lose 2 lbs a WEEK? AWESOME!
    3. I just sit at a desk when I'm not working out, I guess I'm sedentary.
    4. MFP tells them 1200 calories, and they don't even eat that.. then they work out on top of it.. creating an even bigger deficit.
    5. Lose a lot, fast, brag about 1200 calorie success.
    6. Come back in a few months trying to figure out why they're dizzy, tired, not losing weight.
    7. Get on the forums, ask why they aren't losing.
    8. Get two responses (I eat 1200 and lose) (I eat 2200 and lose)
    9. Argument ensues about who is right.

Now. That being said. These threads happen hundreds of times per day. Most times, and I mean really.. seriously.. 95% of the time.. people get the 1200 number because they don't put the right information in when they set up the account. There are a great number of people that are trying to help. I'm one of 'em.

I'm a hardcore advocate of actually finding out what works for the individual.. by means of other calculators, averages, time, practice, and patience.

Blanket prescriptions of 1200 calories "because it worked for me" is more harmful to the generic new user than the "figure out what you need to eat." Unfortunately, one is a LOT easier to type.

Find out what you need: http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/
    Take the tips, links, and info above and make the cart more manageable to stay on.

Best of luck. You deserve a new you and I know that you WANT the change. Make it manageable and it will certainly stick.
  • daveymac1
    daveymac1 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    What is this twinkie and vodka diet you speak of?
  • redladywitch
    redladywitch Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Focus on what you can do.

When I started out at 355 pounds, I could only walk about two minutes. That was 20 feet of pure struggle. Now I've lost some weight and can walk on trails. I need to stop every so often and am still grateful.

You can do it. Stay focused and stick with it.
  • tamster1971
    Options
    I always wondered why first steps don't turn in to second steps. Should we get caloric credit when we take 2 steps forward but 3 steps back? IT IS STILL 5 STEPS! Please stay the course! Fight the fight! We are your army!!!! Thank you for being honest and so very much in our faces. LET'S DO THIS!!!
  • AleciaG724
    AleciaG724 Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    6 months ago I was almost exactly your weight & I'm also 5' 8.5". Don't let other people get in your head, they are trying to be nice & but I understand that not everyone likes that kind of encouragement. Yes, we are fat... so what? At least we are doing something about it. Don't think about how long it will take or how much further you have to go. Just do something about it now, and keep doing it every day. You will begin to see progress. These past 6 months would have gone by whether I lost 47 pounds or not... but instead of sitting here weighing 326 or more, I set some goals, made some changes, and now I'm under 280 which is the least I've weighed in 15+ years. It's not easy, and some days are much harder than others. MFP works if you want it to, but nobody can make it happen for you - you've got to want it, and keep wanting it enough to meet your goals. I log everything I eat, and try to exercise at least 30 minutes every day. I only eat back about half of my exercise calories. I can't wait to break through and lose 50# - hopefully by next week - and by Christmas I will be 250#. Best of luck to you - feel free to send me a friend request.
  • silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    OP. I started at 337.

It's possible. It sucks at the first, but it becomes habit. I've picked up a few things since I've done this... and I post this same thing all over the place.

It might help here too:

1. don't trust the initial setup that MFP provides. If you put in the wrong/inaccurate information, it'll tell you to eat an amount that may not be applicable.
    2. Make sure you eat enough.
    3. Figure out what works for you and is sustainable/healthy/long term.
    4. avoid fads. don't buy in to any "Hey, try the twinkie and vodka diet"
    5. Don't cut out anything now that you don't plan on literally giving up forever.
    6. GET A FOOD SCALE. Weigh everything. No, seriously.
    7. Get an HRM with a chest strap. You'll at least have a better idea of what you're burning. It'll be more accurate than the generic info in the exercise database.. and even more than the cardio machines. This is great for steady state cardio (run/walk/etc)
    8. Don't go balls out. You'll burn out. I see 300 lb people show up here, instantly start working out and cutting their intake SEVERELY... trying to cut out all of their carbs at once.. whatever. Take it slow. Figure out how much you need to eat FIRST in order to lose.. then incorporate exercise.
    9. Don't cardio yourself to death.
    10. Take the information on the forums with a grain of salt. A lot of people that have been here for a while.. and have been successful, may seem jaded. They give out GREAT advice day after day, only to be met with people that refuse to listen.
    11. Eat real food. Not diet food. Not "low fat, sugar free, now without X." It's easier to get/find/count.
    12. don't set time restrictions.
    13. measure yourself weekly. Don't just weigh. Measure and take pictures.
    14 BE PATIENT.
    15. Avoid forum topics that have "1200" in the title. It's just full of butthurt. Lots of it.
    16. This isn't a game, it's about changing your lifestyle. Do that.

pretty much that.

...and don't fall into the "1200 calorie" vertigo of suck because of:

the typical MFP users does this:
    1. I wanna lose weight, let's try MFP.
    2. OH! Wow, it tells me I can lose 2 lbs a WEEK? AWESOME!
    3. I just sit at a desk when I'm not working out, I guess I'm sedentary.
    4. MFP tells them 1200 calories, and they don't even eat that.. then they work out on top of it.. creating an even bigger deficit.
    5. Lose a lot, fast, brag about 1200 calorie success.
    6. Come back in a few months trying to figure out why they're dizzy, tired, not losing weight.
    7. Get on the forums, ask why they aren't losing.
    8. Get two responses (I eat 1200 and lose) (I eat 2200 and lose)
    9. Argument ensues about who is right.

Now. That being said. These threads happen hundreds of times per day. Most times, and I mean really.. seriously.. 95% of the time.. people get the 1200 number because they don't put the right information in when they set up the account. There are a great number of people that are trying to help. I'm one of 'em.

I'm a hardcore advocate of actually finding out what works for the individual.. by means of other calculators, averages, time, practice, and patience.

Blanket prescriptions of 1200 calories "because it worked for me" is more harmful to the generic new user than the "figure out what you need to eat." Unfortunately, one is a LOT easier to type.

Find out what you need: http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/
    Take the tips, links, and info above and make the cart more manageable to stay on.

Best of luck. You deserve a new you and I know that you WANT the change. Make it manageable and it will certainly stick.

LISTEN TO THIS MAN ^. he knows his stuff and he did it himself. i wish the very best for you, OP. congratulations on making a change.
  • jlhudsons
    jlhudsons Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    You have a family here that wants you to succeed in your journey. Patience is the hardest part. It takes time, however in the end it will be worth it. This website will make you aware of everything you are eating and the calorie count of your food. That means, you can pretty much eat what you want, BUT watch your calories. If you want a piece of cake, see how many calories it has and substitute it for something else so you don`t feel deprived. It does work. Portion control is important as well and drink LOTS of water. When you see the weight start to come off, I think it will motivate you to stick with it. Hang in there sweetie! We are here for you. God Bless.