recovery day?

Options
hi: I just started weight and strength training. Should you have a recovery day? I am doing cardio mon, wed, and fri, and going to the gym for weights tues & thurs. Is that enough? Should I go to the gym more????

Replies

• Naomi0504
    Naomi0504 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I work out 6 days a week, rest one day. Usually it's 4 days in a row of exercise, then a rest day :smile:
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    Yes, I think that is enough. I always take at least one day off, sometimes 2.
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    It depends on your body and how hard you're working out each day. I had no problem maintaining the same schedule you listed back when I was doing Starting Strength and using the elliptical as my cardio. However, since starting NROL (which has some more complex compound lifts in it) and starting running for my cardio, I need at least 3 rest days a week and can't work out more than 2 or 3 days in a row, because I'm using more of the same muscles for the different workouts.

If you feel good working out 5 days a week, then you're fine. But if you start noticing lingering soreness or any sort of twinging pain, I would add in some more rest time to let your body catch up.
  • justaweegal
    Options
    I was thinking maybe I should do cardio (I do dvds at home) and then do weight training on the same day? how often should you lift weights?