Runners- feeling like you're about to puke

Options
Hey guys,

I've started running, and have worked myself up to 5k.
The last two nights, I've gone out, and after all of 1.5 km, I felt so sick that I have to stop and spend some time doubled over on the ground.After that I pretty much don't want to start again, for fear the pain will come back.

That wasn't happening to me before. I usually run 3.5 hours after dinner (I only like running at night, or else I overheat and feel self conscious enough that I won't push myself in case I look stupid.).

So, what am I doing wrong? Please don't suggest that I push through it. I really can't stand up when it's happening.

Replies

• ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Try slowing down.
  • Wetterdew
    Wetterdew Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I am not familiar with this problem, but are you experiencing typical symptoms of overexertion like mad panting, extreme fatigue, and an extremely fast heartbeat? If you aren't tired but you are feeling nauseas, maybe you are sick.

If you ARE tired to the point of vomiting by that point, then that's definitely strange since you say it happened so suddenly and you usually can go for five kilometers.
  • Raasy
    Raasy Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    While I have never had this happen to me, I feel you. No one likes that feeling.

I do have some questions though, you say that you are running 3.5 hours after dinner, how big is your dinners? Do you tend to intake a lot of fluids at dinner or right before running? how hard are you running, are you able to keep your breathing reasonable?
    And is it hotter out when you are running?

I run in the morning myself only because I find that its easier on my stomach. I don't have anything in and I feel lighter. If I run in the afternoon/evening I have to eat light during the day or I tend to cramp up.

I would suggest trying to maybe go a little earlier in the day, or try running before dinner. Limit the fluid intake before the run and only sip if you need to while running. Good luck!
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you might be running too fast for right now. Try going slower, and you might find this feeling doesn't happen. I never have problems with side cramps or nausea when I'm running unless I've eaten too recently or i'm running too fast.
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,638 Member
    Options
    2 things:

Slow down definitely

And examine what you are eating beforehand. Are you eating right before running? A few hours before? Are you eating spicy food/dairy/something that might irritate your stomach? My stomach is very funny while I'm running. I typically eat about 45 minutes beforehand, either a fruit or grain of some kind. I might have a banana or apple with peanut butter, maybe an orange, granola bar, toast, oatmeal. No dairy at all before a run. It takes trial and error to get to know your body. And I don't eat too much or I will get a cramp. One or two of the above things I listed is enough for me.
  • magurski
    magurski Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Every time I've felt like that, it's been one of two things: running too fast, or running in excessive heat. Sometimes both combined.

I'd say go a little slower (much easier if you have something calling out your pace, so you can slow down when you need). Possibly wait a little later, too, for it to cool off some more. That being said, some days are just bad days for me, and some are good ones.
  • DangerJim71
    DangerJim71 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I wanted to say if you haven't puked then you're not running fast enough. ;)

In all seriousness the suggestions you've had so far are spot on. I usually run before dinner so I have little in my stomach except a banana and a few sips of water. Try adjusting your pace.

Figure out what works and stick with it.
  • YoBecca
    YoBecca Posts: 167
    Options
    You've gotten lots of good advice - the only thing I would add: I'm not clear if you're having nausea or some sort of stomach pain/cramps, but if it's nausea, it could also be from gulping air. Apparently it's not uncommon for some people, when breathing heavy during exercise, to somehow swallow air (doesn't require you to actually swallow it - you won't feel/know that you're doing it - but it leads to nausea). This happens to me pretty much everytime I woirkout hard. Try burping, and try doing it as you run before it gets painful or you feel sick. I mean, don't force a burp out, but if you feel any sort of maybe-i-need-to-burp feeling, let it happen. It releases the pressure on your tummy and addresses the nausea.

FWIW, I burp pretty steadily the entire time I run/workout - every few minutes. I keep the volume down and burp quietly to myself, but if I don't, I feel like puking.

It's more likely that you're pushing too fast or a food/excersise time issue, but wanted to throw this out there as something to consider.
  • Zorx
    Zorx Posts: 15
    Options
    While I have never had this happen to me, I feel you. No one likes that feeling.

I do have some questions though, you say that you are running 3.5 hours after dinner, how big is your dinners? Do you tend to intake a lot of fluids at dinner or right before running? how hard are you running, are you able to keep your breathing reasonable?
    And is it hotter out when you are running?

I run in the morning myself only because I find that its easier on my stomach. I don't have anything in and I feel lighter. If I run in the afternoon/evening I have to eat light during the day or I tend to cramp up.

I would suggest trying to maybe go a little earlier in the day, or try running before dinner. Limit the fluid intake before the run and only sip if you need to while running. Good luck!

My dinners usually are about 400-600 calories. They'll have some sort of protein and perhaps 1 carbohydrate serving and a ton of veggies. I usually stop my intake of fluids an hour before dinner, though I do drink 8 glasses a day. When I run, I keep my breath reasonable, and if I need to slow down, I can. I think my average is 5k in 35 minutes, so 7min/km. I feel like I could keep going for a long time if the pain weren't there...

Thank you so much for the advice, I think I'll start going in the morning, before breakfast. :D
  • Zorx
    Zorx Posts: 15
    Options
    Yeah, I find I'm not tired when the pain comes, and the temperature is cool enough....this is just completely random. Thanks!
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    Every time I've felt like that, it's been one of two things: running too fast, or running in excessive heat. Sometimes both combined.

I'd say go a little slower (much easier if you have something calling out your pace, so you can slow down when you need). Possibly wait a little later, too, for it to cool off some more. That being said, some days are just bad days for me, and some are good ones.

Ditto this exactly.