I need something to sweeten my coffee

Options
Hi all, I have a question. I love my morning coffee with half and half and sugar. However I drink two large travel mugs every morning and the sugar adds up! I cannot use traditional zero calorie sweeteners - Splenda, Sweet and Low, Equal etc because they give me migraines. Recently I have begun using Stevia and it doesn't aggravate my migraine condition, but I don't like the aftertaste. I can use one packet but then I still need at least 2 tsp of sugar per travel mug. As I said it adds up. Any ideas for other low cal sweeteners I can try? Artificial ones aren't an option for me. Thank you.

Replies

• maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    You could try honey. Or you could still use sugar, but slowly lower the amount of sugar you use so that eventually you are comfortable with it black. I personally don't like artificial sweeteners. I use sugar, but not in my sugar or my tea. I used to drink my coffee with sugar, but I slowly lowered the amount in it, so that after a few weeks I wasn't putting any sweetener in my coffee. I also made sure I was brewing up coffee that I loved.
  • vs1023
    vs1023 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Hve you tried the stevia drops which you can find in health food stores as a "dietary supplement"?
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    Honey or agave nectar.
    Truvia is what most bodybuilding sites talk about but ive never had it.
    Stay away from 0 calorie or man made sweeteners!

I prefer the taste of agave over honey any day!
  • formygood2011
    formygood2011 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried this but maybe Agave nectar?

Also just an idea for a change especially during the fall/winter...I love a few shakes of ground cinnamon in the grounds before it brews, just gives a hint of cinnamon flavor and maybe you wouldn't want it so sweet?

Hope you are able to find something.
  • Pepper2185
    Pepper2185 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    I'm with the others - agave nectar all the way. I love it.
  • ChrisWag
    ChrisWag Posts: 169
    Options
    Truvia? That is all I use anymore.
    I used to use Agave Nectar but then I found out that sugar for sugar it is as bad for you as table sugar or honey. ...
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,161 Member
    Options
    Try a different type of Stevia. Some have more after taste than others.
  • Suziq2you
    Suziq2you Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I use sweetened vanilla almond milk.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Truvia is a brand of stevia, and honey and agave have as many calories as white sugar. So those don't seem like good options.

Can you eat sugar alcohols like xylitol? They give some people digestive problems but I've never had an issue.
  • Fitgirlrocks
    Fitgirlrocks Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I stay away from Agave Nectar. It's highly processed and almost 100% fructose which means that it bypasses the negative feedback system you naturally have in your body (it doesn't get processed biochemically the same way that glucose does). Stevia is my sweetener of choice, however, since you don't like the aftertaste consider xylitol or erythritol (although, long term studies have not been done on them as they are relatively new sweeteners). I also like to use honey (but the calories can add up there too).
  • Angela_2_Oh
    Angela_2_Oh Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I don't know. Never tried. I have used honey, sugar, Splenda, Sweet and Low, Equal, and Stevia in the Raw packets. Are other types of Stevia better tasting? I'm willing to give Truvia a shot too. What is it made of? I've heard of agave; is it less caloric and less sugar than table sugar? All the man made sweeteners are off limits to me. Wish I could learn to do coffee without cream and sugar but I love it so much.
  • vs1023
    vs1023 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I need to sweeten my coffee too and I'm not ready to give it up. They do make an organic flavored half and half that is good, made with organic sugar. I avoid agave for the reason posted before about how it is processed. I use the drops from whole foods of stevia and the stevia in the raw for yogurt sometimes (Greek). Truvia is not true stevia..owned by one of the major beverage companies so they could use it in their drinks. They add another chemical to it iirc.
  • persian_star
    persian_star Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Just started replacing the sugar in my hubby's coffee with Agave Nectar and he hasn't noticed the difference! But the big difference is is has fewer calories, is sweeter (so you need less), is fructose not glucose (which I always thought was a GOOD thing. Fruit is full of fructose too) which means the carbohydrate takes longer to break down and instead of giving you sugar highs and lows gives you a steady release which keeps you on a more even keel. It doesn't get digested in a different way to glucose - just more slowly.

As far as I understood it's not highly processed at all, quite the opposite in fact, but it takes some time for it to get to the state where we would recognise it as a sugar alternative, which is partly why is is a bit more expensive.
  • persian_star
    persian_star Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    PS Just on a side note, talking about fructose, the one you SHOULD avoid is High Fuctose Corn Syrup, which is often used as a replacement for sugar in Coke, etc, in the US. Does terrible things to your hormones (leptin and grehlin, google if you want to know more) and just makes you hungrier :flowerforyou:
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    I know it's off topic and not sweet either but I put a tsp of coconut oil and a sake of cinnamon in to my coffee. Perhaps a drop of vanilla essence will trick your taste buds?
  • dancingj2
    dancingj2 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I used to take sugar in my coffee. I tried different coffees until I found one that was not too bitter and now do not use any sweetener.
  • Mmmary212
    Mmmary212 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Torani coffee syrups....either regular sugar or sugar free. They are delicious.
  • HMD7703
    HMD7703 Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    I know it's off topic and not sweet either but I put a tsp of coconut oil and a sake of cinnamon in to my coffee. Perhaps a drop of vanilla essence will trick your taste buds?

This is an excellent idea!!
  • mari508
    Options
    I've done the coconut oil and it has worked weaned me off sugar but has anyone every tried organic coconut sugar?
  • jen_fitnhappy
    jen_fitnhappy Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Try Sweetleaf brand stevia. No aftertaste/bitterness at all! I love it!