Anyone else counting sodium just as much as calories?

Options
I seem to be eating the same stuff over and over, and not getting in near enough calories because I'm trying to keep the sodium low. (high blood pressure issues)

I know fruit and vegetables are low in sodium, and I do eat those (although I don't track them unless it's starch) but I'm running out of ideas. I have been eating high protein with fish and chicken, but it seems like every item canned, boxed, frozen, or already seasoned is full of sodium.

Just getting kind of tired of meat and fresh vegetables. (I've eaten soooo much spinach, tomatoes, onions, peppers, green beans, kale, and squash lately!)

For those of you who are keeping sodium to below the 1,500 mg a day level...what are your favorite items to cook?

Replies

• reedandmalloy
    Options
    Oops, just saw the thread a little ways below mine with the same topic. Sorry!
  • angelamary61
    angelamary61 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I do have sodium on my dairy but to be honest I rarely go over the allowance.
    So I know I am no help whatsoever but I do notice my american friends do go over often because i notice they tend to eat more pre packaged food. We prepare all our own food. (mostly, I'm not that good)
    It is a hidden enemy because when i read the nutritional value on packets it never occurs to me to check the sodium and it can be very high.
  • haymancm
    haymancm Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I think it's very hard to stay under 1500/day everyday for sodium. I'll stay under 1500 for about 1/2 the week & splurge the rest of the week. I know that other than drinking more water, upping potassium to 40x your goal weight as a goal helps rid sodium. I deal with constipation (tmi), one reason for keeping it under 1500.

I don't eat much bread, the closest to bread that I eat are flour tortillas maybe once a week, if not twice. I make my own chicken fingers without salt, my family doesn't even notice. If I want to marinate my chicken or steak on the grill, I use Mrs. Dash, oil, & apple cider vinegar, & some sugar or just plain with Mrs. Dash. My favorite meal lately has been to take some leftover baked potatoes diced with some oil, onions, peppers sauteed & eat with some scrambled eggs. I make my own recipes for a lot of the foods I like to eat.

Friend me to look @ my diary for some food ideas. They are really simple.
  • walleymama
    walleymama Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I don't look at it. Don't even think about it.

But I don't really like salty foods in the first place and don't eat much boxed or canned foods that tend to be very high in sodium.