risky??

Options
22dream
22dream Posts: 60 Member
My boyfriend recently had his jaw broke he has to have surgery friday and his jaw will be wired shut for a month. DURING THIS time he has to drink smoothies I want to support him as much as possible is it safe and maybe beneficial for me to do this with him for the month ....has anyone had success juicing or doing smoothies for this amount of time

Replies

• pinkncrazee
    pinkncrazee Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I've heard a lot of good things about juicing. Just make sure you're doing it right, lots of vitamin rich veggies! Fat, sick, and nearly Dead (documentary) is a good start. I know as of last week it was still on Netflix, it WAS on Youtube but now they are charging for it! Good luck to you and your guy
  • kt2007
    kt2007 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    fat, sick and nearly dead!! Google it all the info you could want on it.
  • 1PatientBear
    1PatientBear Posts: 2,089 Member
    Options
    I had jaw surgery about 5 years ago. I didn't have to have my jaw wired, but I couldn't open it very far and I was on a smootie/soft food diet for three weeks. It SUCKS. You don't want to do it if you don't have to. Support him by being there for him and helping him prepare food. Smoothies, Ensure shakes, chicken broth are all good starting points. But you can blend just about anything fine enough to make it fit through a straw. Doesn't always taste wonderful but Ensure and smoothies get REALLY old after a week or so.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    Might be better to do blended smoothies rather than juices because you get the fibre from the whole fruit. There's no reason why you can't get adequate nutrition from a liquid diet if you need to. Maybe look into a quality meal replacement shake or protien power that you can add to smoothies. Eggs also work (make sure they're pasturised)
  • lighteningjeanne855
    Options
    On Amazon.com, you can find wide-bore straws used for sipping BOBA TEA.
    They won't clog up like regular straws.
  • LAnne16
    LAnne16 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I had jaw surgery in 2008 and was wired shut for 6 weeks. It was awful, but I lived on calorie high drinks like milkshakes and ensure. I needed the calories because half the time I was high on whatever they gave me for pain and wasn't eating.
    So basically; shakes, smoothies, baby food, broth, and liquid yoghurt.
    I wouldn't recommend anyone eat like this if you have the choice, but I guess it's your body so do what you gotta do :)
  • JanMarie2BHealthy
    Options
    My father had his jaw wired - it is a scary and frustrating feeling for the 'patient'. We all had to carry these special "wire cutters" in case he should choke. He had a lot of Ensure, Milkshakes, Broth, he did manage 'thin' jello through a straw. He actually was able to do a bit of baby food too. I do not think I would go on a liquid type diet if my husband was "wired"...I would join him at the table and drink a smoothie or whatever but I also would not eat in front of him. Hope everything goes well for you and your boyfriend. Take care.
  • 22dream
    22dream Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Aww thanks guys for sharing your stories and feed back I appreciate it
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!