Working out outside the 8 hour work day?

Options
I'm about to start an internship and school at the same time. I'm sure I can figure out how to work those two into my days. However, working out will be hard to fit in to my day. I would start working around 8 and finish class around 8/9 as well. So that's a full day. Does anyone work and go to school AND go to the gym (or work out)? Like 5/6 am or like 10/11 at night? Any tips? How do you do it?

-RO-Z

Tips on food and snacks would also be helpful.

Replies

• mmipanda
    mmipanda Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I'm always grumpy and lethargic by the time I've finished work. A banana, coffee or protein shake normally does the trick. Also, sign up to a 24/7 gym! Then you don't have pressure to go at any set time. I often show up there at 8:30-9pm, long after the normal gyms here have closed.
  • Jaytee79
    Jaytee79 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I work 12 hr shifts in the ICU. I ether fit it in before I go, when I get home or hit the gym on my break. If you want to fit it in....you will.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I get up at 4 to run. You just have to do it.
  • wishuponastar2014
    Options
    My friend and I take our readings to the gym and read while walking on the treadmill. It's not too bad if you do like 3, even 3.5, mph. Or try reading while on a stationary bike--burns lots of calories (even though your butt will be extremely sore if you do it for more than 30 minutes).
  • mmipanda
    mmipanda Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    My friend and I take our readings to the gym and read while walking on the treadmill. It's not too bad if you do like 3, even 3.5, mph. Or try reading while on a stationary bike--burns lots of calories (even though your butt will be extremely sore if you do it for more than 30 minutes).

as a side note, kindles are good for this. You can bump the font up to an easy to read size and you don't have to worry about pages flipping around!
  • TechOutside
    TechOutside Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I never know what my day will bring so I always work out first thing in the morning before everything else, otherwise I might be too exhausted or too late to work out.
  • crackur
    crackur Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I work. 2 jobs, graduate school and have a 3yo son.........no one can make an excuse besides you have no motivation.

pop in a dvd and get at it.
  • Miss_Meliss86
    Miss_Meliss86 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I work full-time and am in graduate school. I fit my workouts in first thing in the morning to make sure nothing gets in the way. I'm at work for 8:00am, but in the gym right at 6:00am at least 4 days a week. The first few weeks of waking up early (if you decide to try this route) will really suck, there's no denying it. Especially as the weather gets colder (well, at least here in Canada). But for me, knowing that I've got my workout done for the day and can take my evenings to relax/do readings makes it worth it. You can do it! :flowerforyou:
  • Jul158
    Jul158 Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I used to work almost full-time (8am-2pm) as a kindergarten teacher and then was a full time grad student with class every night from 4-7pm or 4-10pm..depending on the day. With the amount of homework and planning I had outside of this, multitasking became my best friend! I used to workout in between work and class (during my lunch) while reading hoemwork. I'd bring a change of clothing..and then I would eat lunch.dinner during my class. It was a good schedule because I didn't have time to change my mind..I was very busy! I also would go for walks whenever I could to make sure I was moving.
    The most important part, of course, was planning and packing my meals so I always had healthy options. Diet, as I'm sure you know, is 80%. I'm also still working on the fact that a ten minute workout is WAY better than none..little bits count.
  • aliceclutz90
    aliceclutz90 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend going in the morning - for me personally after a day like that the last thing I would want to do would be to extend it by going to the gym! :)
  • janalayn
    janalayn Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Get some workout dvds or a hula hoop and work out at home either in the morning or at the end of your day. I have a portable hula hoop and I hoop twice a day on my breaks at work. Walmart sells a nice Danskin hoop for $20. Most of their dvds are around $10
  • hedgiie
    hedgiie Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    try home workout, try splitting your workout routine in the morning and in the evening.