Diabetes

Options
Got a question for yall...if any of you are diabetic...how do you eat? What kinds of food? Cause i know that carbs convert to sugar and fruits are full of sugar...so that takes out a lot of my choices...my sugar was up at my last doc appt and i go back in a month for more fasting blood work A1C and urinalysis. I dont want to be diabetic but i have a 50/50 chance...with one parent that was. Any help would be appreciated. I need suggestions, what to eat what to avoid. I just don't know where to start. :ohwell:

Replies

• spearfox
    spearfox Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Get with a dietician to learn how to eat right for diabetes.
    Type 1, 2, insulin controlled, diet controlled.
    A dietician will have the correct info for you and know your exact medical history and bloodwork.

I control type 2 with diet and exercise.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    The South Beach plan is good for diabetes, as well as Paleo/Primal.

I basically cut out most processed sugars, and most grains and starchy veggies.
    I eat lean proteins, beef, pork, chicken, fish, eggs, cheese, etc
    Lots of non starch veggies
    And healthy fats like nuts and avocados.

I have some fruit, but usually only one serving per day.

I keep my carb total below 100g, and shoot for net carbs (minus fiber grams) under 50-60.
    I also shoot for 80-90 grams of protein.

My macros are 20%Carbs/30%Pro/30%Fat
  • NK1112
    NK1112 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Got a question for yall...if any of you are diabetic...how do you eat? What kinds of food? Cause i know that carbs convert to sugar and fruits are full of sugar...so that takes out a lot of my choices...my sugar was up at my last doc appt and i go back in a month for more fasting blood work A1C and urinalysis. I dont want to be diabetic but i have a 50/50 chance...with one parent that was. Any help would be appreciated. I need suggestions, what to eat what to avoid. I just don't know where to start. :ohwell:

Sad to say, it's not only fruit that are carbs ... it's everything that isn't protein or fat (like nuts, oil, etc). So that includes all your grains, beans and legumes, and vegetables as well as fruit.

Work with a nutritionist if you can to balance your meals out correctly between carbohydrates, protein, and fat. You may hear your doctor tell you to increase your activity level (exercise). I can attest to that .... exercise for about 30 minutes (riding a bike, walking, gardening, scrubbing the house etc,) and eating small meals (like half of a regular meal) instead of eating a lot at one time really help.

Good luck to you.
  • JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    Options

Sad to say, it's not only fruit that are carbs ... it's everything that isn't protein or fat (like nuts, oil, etc). So that includes all your grains, beans and legumes, and vegetables as well as fruit.

This is true! Blood sugar is effected by carbs. Which carbs should be avoided and which carbs should be moderated is something you have to decide for yourself based on your own personal sensitivity, activity level and medications.

Do you have a meter? If not, Walmart's ReliOn meter and strips are quite inexpensive - often cheaper than what your insurance co-pay would be for a brand-name. I've have tremendous success using my meter to determine which foods in which portions are acceptable. The BEST advice I ever received was "If your meter doesn’t like a certain food, then stop eating it! Don’t continue to eat cereal or bread if it spikes your glucose, no matter what your CDE (Certified Diabetic Educator) says."

It's extremely unhelpful to compare your eating plan, your eating plan and your medications to those of any other diabetic, or to think that one size fits all. Trust your meter to tell you what's "good" and what's "bad"

Technique for eating to your meter:

Establish your target range for blood sugar levels.(http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/14045621.php) Commit to keeping your blood sugar under this level.
    Test right before eating. Log the reading.
    Test again one hour after your first bite, and log the reading along with what and how much you ate. This is assumed to be about the highest peak - the spike - from the meal.
    Test a third time two hours after your first bite. This is hoped to show your blood sugar dropping back to roughly what it was before the meal. If it is, you're showing a good second phase insulin response. If it is not, you should continue testing until you find your blood sugar beginning to drop.

Analyzing these readings along with the foods you've eaten enables you to see which foods have the worst effect on your blood sugar, so you can avoid consuming them in the future.

It's fair to give each meal a second chance, in case there could be an outside influence on the elevated reading, but after two or three experiments, it is wise to avoid or sharply restrict the foods which drastically spike your blood sugar. After several weeks of extensive testing this way, you'll have compiled a personalized list of foods you can eat safely, for the most part. Not saying things don't change, and foods which were safe at one time could become troublesome later (and thankfully, the reverse as well), but for the most part, eating to your meter is an excellent way to control diabetes and keep side effects at bay.

This can also be used to test individual foods such as fruits and things you suspect are going to spike you, but you'd like to know if perhaps you can eat small amounts.
  • Tigg_er
    Tigg_er Posts: 22,001 Member
    Options

This is true! Blood sugar is effected by carbs. Which carbs should be avoided and which carbs should be moderated is something you have to decide for yourself based on your own personal sensitivity, activity level and medications.

Do you have a meter? If not, Walmart's ReliOn meter and strips are quite inexpensive - often cheaper than what your insurance co-pay would be for a brand-name. I've have tremendous success using my meter to determine which foods in which portions are acceptable. The BEST advice I ever received was "If your meter doesn’t like a certain food, then stop eating it! Don’t continue to eat cereal or bread if it spikes your glucose, no matter what your CDE (Certified Diabetic Educator) says."

It's extremely unhelpful to compare your eating plan, your eating plan and your medications to those of any other diabetic, or to think that one size fits all. Trust your meter to tell you what's "good" and what's "bad"

Establish your target range for blood sugar levels.(http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/14045621.php) Commit to keeping your blood sugar under this level.
    Test again one hour after your first bite, and log the reading along with what and how much you ate. This is assumed to be about the highest peak - the spike - from the meal.
    Test a third time two hours after your first bite. This is hoped to show your blood sugar dropping back to roughly what it was before the meal. If it is, you're showing a good second phase insulin response. If it is not, you should continue testing until you find your blood sugar beginning to drop.

Analyzing these readings along with the foods you've eaten enables you to see which foods have the worst effect on your blood sugar, so you can avoid consuming them in the future.

It's fair to give each meal a second chance, in case there could be an outside influence on the elevated reading, but after two or three experiments, it is wise to avoid or sharply restrict the foods which drastically spike your blood sugar. After several weeks of extensive testing this way, you'll have compiled a personalized list of foods you can eat safely, for the most part. Not saying things don't change, and foods which were safe at one time could become troublesome later (and thankfully, the reverse as well), but for the most part, eating to your meter is an excellent way to control diabetes and keep side effects at bay.

This can also be used to test individual foods such as fruits and things you suspect are going to spike you, but you'd like to know if perhaps you can eat small amounts.

To me this is exellent advice. Testing has shown me what certin foods are doing to my blood suger. Some foods will suprise you and each person is different. Some of the foods I would have thought would have spiked did not and then some I thought would not spike did so. I did find out I could get away with a couple extra cookies every now and then. The way you eat and just getting some simple exercise like walking has so far kept me of the meds, and suprise I also lost weight.
  • Jannah1208
    Options

To me this is exellent advice. Testing has shown me what certin foods are doing to my blood suger. Some foods will suprise you and each person is different. Some of the foods I would have thought would have spiked did not and then some I thought would not spike did so. I did find out I could get away with a couple extra cookies every now and then. The way you eat and just getting some simple exercise like walking has so far kept me of the meds, and suprise I also lost weight.

How true! I can't touch oatmeal with a 50 ft pole, but my mom can eat it and her sugars are okay. My mom is on metaformin., which did nothing for me except make me puke. I am to start metaformin ER with the low carb, to see how that works. Even after I lost about 60 lbs nothing changed. My levels were still the same. I had slightly better control but still on meds. Only time I can quit meds is when I get rid of the carbs... potatoes, rice, pasta. For me I can do low carb, working on a new menu plan with the DR who is allowing me to go 100g. My last doctor freaked out at that idea. However, sometimes it is hard to stay on a low carb diet, since my husband lives on rice and potatoes, his favorite foods. He was also blessed with a metabolism where he can eat ANYTHING and not gain. The dr wants him to gain 5-7 lbs... wth!

If I lose 15lbs i will be within my healthy BMI... so I am hoping the low carb will help.
  • freeatlast20
    freeatlast20 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    thank you for all the advice. What got me was my Doc didn't want me to test....and I want to. For the very reasons you all stated. I need to know how food affects my glucose levels. Should I get a second opinion?
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Controlling diet should be your top priority. That said, don't overlook the importance of exercise. Exercise (particularly strength training) is of great benefit for those with IR or diabetes.
  • elsyoommen
    elsyoommen Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    You should definitely test. There is no downside to doing so. It would be supplying you with valuable personalized information that you can't get any other way. You might want to ask your doctor why he did not want you to test. Perhaps he thought you did not want to or he thought you could not afford it or something like that?

The other thing with testing is that it helps you to see the times of day that your glucose spikes more (this could be due to hormones) so that you can time your meals accordingly as well.
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    thank you for all the advice. What got me was my Doc didn't want me to test....and I want to. For the very reasons you all stated. I need to know how food affects my glucose levels. Should I get a second opinion?

One reading slightly too high (I'm assuming you weren't sky high!) where you may or may not have been adequately fasted doesn't let him actually diagnose you as diabetic. He needs to do the glucose tolerance test on you at the very least to make that diagnosis. And for him to prescribe you a glucose meter, he'd have to actually diagnose you or the insurance company won't pay for it.

Basically, it might just be a false alarm.

Even if you do turn out to be diabetic, elevated sugars for a week or two more (who knows how long they've been high?) isn't going to kill you outright.

If you want to test, you need to know what to look for. Basically, 2 hours post prandial (i.e. 2 h after you have the first bite of a meal) is the critical reading, along with the fasted one right when you wake up. Can you borrow your Mom's meter? Meters are sometimes very cheap (or free), but the test strips can cost a lot!

These numbers are from http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=17384 although your Doc may alter them slightly for you:
    On waking up (before breakfast) 80 to 120
    Before meals 80 to 120
    2 hours after meals 160 or less
    At bedtime 100 to 140

I understand the "I want to know now" feeling - I was diagnosed prediabetic last year. You want to do everything NOW to prevent it getting worse. But don't panic. Breathe! Do the tolerance test, have the blood work done, and take it a step at a time.

For me, I was at goal weight when diagnosed (having just lost 40 lb). I control my sugar with diet and exercise.

If you want to do something in the short term while you wait, focus on diet & exercise - cut out as much processed sugar as possible, reduce simple carbs in things like rice and pasta and bread (but you don't have to eliminate them completely), and switch the white varieties for whole wheat if possible (I hate whole wheat pasta though. Not going to happen!). Do 30 mins of exercise a day. And maybe use this as a stimulus to lose that weight and eat healthier even if it is a false alarm! If it isn't, make sure you get referred to a dietitian or diabetes education group.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Glycemic index. Keep your blood sugar levels stable by eating balanced carbs, protein and healthy fats, also fiber helps.
  • freeatlast20
    freeatlast20 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I had the fasting blood glucose done..then went a month later and had another one done at the office. The A1C was high...and my glucose was high for a second time. That is why he gave me the diagnosis of Diabetes. I was put on medication and told to exercise including strength training.
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Wait...

The Doc has diagnosed you as diabetes, but has told you not to test?

And he has put you on meds without seeing if diet and exercise work first? [I don't know how high you were, of course]

And he hasn't apparently referred you to a Dietitian/Nutrionist?

Yes - get a second opinion! The only way you can find what foods work for you is by the testing strategy outlined by a poster above. Or if the meds are dosed right. You need to test!

But yes - resistance training AND cardiovascular.
  • gddrdld
    gddrdld Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Ask your MD to refer you to the nearest Diabetes Self-Management Program to get proper education and treatment with a qualified RD/CDE for your type 2 diabetes.

You can go on line to http://www.diabeteseducator.org/?vm=r and click on "Find a diabetes educator" on the right hand side of the screen to find a program near you.
  • kjimmie4848
    kjimmie4848 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Whole grains, oatmeal, and beans do not seem to affect my blood sugar readings. However, as soon as I eat refined sugar, white breads or flours, or a potato the readings soar. Other diabetics differ. The only way to tell is to get a meter and test, test, test. Start with foods that have a low GI and slowly add in carbs. Test before, 1 hr pp, and 2 hr pp. Just keep in mind whole grain carbs can take 3-4 hrs to have an affect. Good luck!