tummy fat

Options
Hey guys - just wondering, With my weight gain I am putting on all this tummy fat. Anyone got any good ab strengthening exercises. I dont want to stop the weight gain but I fricking hate the rolls! Cheers! :)

Replies

• Live4theLift
    Options
    in order to lose the belly weight you have to go in a deficit. You either have to commit to muscle gain or fat loss. But if you are trying to build muscle and you are getting to much fat, try reducing your calories by 100 or so and judge it week by week. You should gain on avg .5lbs of muscle a week or noob lifters can gain 1lb a week.
  • mjrkearney
    mjrkearney Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    If your body adds fat to your stomach first, then while trying to gain, that's where it's going to go. Yelling at it and telling it to move doesn't do much good.

Sit-ups, crunches, and planks. And, of course, Google and Youtube.
  • j6o4
    j6o4 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Eat a small surplus and have some type of strength training program to build muscle.
  • 2014myyear
    2014myyear Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    ahhh shall stop yelling then LOL. Not trying to gain muscle at this stage just fat but yeh would like it to spread around rather than just on my gut - boobs would be good LOL. Ok planking it is.... *sigh*
  • SpiritedAway84
    Options
    The way fat is deposited tends to depend on body type and diet. Some women tend to gain more in the stomach due to hormones etc. Obviously I don't know what your diet is, but being a person who tends to gain weight in my stomach, here are a few things I believe can make a difference....
    1. Gluten and "gluten free" substitutes quickly convert to sugar which make them higher on the glycemic index. Try lower glycemic foods and avoiding gluten when possible.
    2. Decrease stress
    3. Caffeine (especially coffee) raises cortisol (stress hormone)levels in the body which contribute to belly fat.
  • 2014myyear
    2014myyear Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    ahhhh it will be the COFFEE!!! thank you :)
  • jackielou867
    jackielou867 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I had the same issue as a yo yo dieter. I can lose it from everywhere else, but not my belly, and whenever I gained it went straight to my belly. I am not sure its something we can change. I am interested in the coffee theory though. I will research that one. Sadly one of my last vices but I would give it up if I had too.
  • Xtrobelights
    Xtrobelights Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I'm using hasfit.com there's a 30 day abs workout routine on there along with a bunch of other more advanced ab workouts that aren't in the 30 day program as well. I'm in the process of doing the 30 day ab workout routine now, and it's definitely working. Give it a shot! Good luck
  • thesophierose
    thesophierose Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    but one of your goals is "Chicks with hot bods" so I would highly recommend a lifting regime while you are trying to gain. Muscle makes females have hot bodies... just saying.
  • keithemp
    Options
    I have been gaining for the last two years. I went from 153 lbs to 174 lbs now. Taking it slowly will reduce the amount of fat you gain, but I still have a bit of fat on my lower belly. I believe it's inevitable that you will gain some fat when you are bulking. Personally, my plan is to go beyond my goal weight by 5 lbs, then cut and lose the 5 lbs of fat at the end by eating in a deficit for a few months.

I don't like the gaining, cutting cycle, so I'll just gain for now and cut at the very end.
  • Barbellgirl
    Barbellgirl Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I have been gaining for the last two years. I went from 153 lbs to 174 lbs now. Taking it slowly will reduce the amount of fat you gain, but I still have a bit of fat on my lower belly. I believe it's inevitable that you will gain some fat when you are bulking. Personally, my plan is to go beyond my goal weight by 5 lbs, then cut and lose the 5 lbs of fat at the end by eating in a deficit for a few months.

I don't like the gaining, cutting cycle, so I'll just gain for now and cut at the very end.

I'm basically doing the same thing. I'm going to focus on gaining weight for the next several months then reduce body fat back down. I weigh 113lbs now (up 1.5 lbs so far this month) at 5'6" so I'd like a little more muscle on my frame. Just remember the added muscle will help to increase your fat burning potential.
  • jackielou867
    Options
    The way fat is deposited tends to depend on body type and diet. Some women tend to gain more in the stomach due to hormones etc. Obviously I don't know what your diet is, but being a person who tends to gain weight in my stomach, here are a few things I believe can make a difference....
    1. Gluten and "gluten free" substitutes quickly convert to sugar which make them higher on the glycemic index. Try lower glycemic foods and avoiding gluten when possible.
    2. Decrease stress
    3. Caffeine (especially coffee) raises cortisol (stress hormone)levels in the body which contribute to belly fat.
  • jackielou867
    Options
    I googled the whole caffeine, cortisol, stress, tummy fat thing. I have never heard that before but many many websites all saying the same thing :-( The demon coffee must be banished!
  • elsdonward
    elsdonward Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Are you avoiding products with artificial sweeteners? Our parents never gained - they just had sugar, and most products they ate just did not have stealthily added sugar. Stop having diet drinks because they actually alter your perception of sweetness and also do something to make your midriff swell.

Drink coffee - what is wrong with it? Do not deny yourself this pleasure. Use raw cane sugar products. Do not be afraid to eat starches like rice and potatoes - no junk foods.
  • igotabulletproofheart
    Options
    Increase the amount of protein you're consuming and strength train. It sounds to me like you're gaining too much fat and not enough muscle which should be what you're gaining. Hit those weights or do calisthenics/yoga/pilates. Pilates and yoga won't bring results as fast as weight lifting will. I can't speak for calisthenics because I've not looked into that enough to make a judgement.
  • Boogage
    Boogage Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    ahhh shall stop yelling then LOL. Not trying to gain muscle at this stage just fat but yeh would like it to spread around rather than just on my gut - boobs would be good LOL. Ok planking it is.... *sigh*

Haha trying to get my boobs back is my main motivation for starting to up my calories and do a mini bulk. I'm worried about my tum too as I still have some fat and a lot of extra skin there (thanks kids) but I'm hoping lifting will help pull it in a bit. I figure you have to focus on either a cut or a bulk otherwise you'll just be a yo yo dieter although I am going to adjust my cals so that I eat more on training days and more like maintenance on non training days, but I still have to keep upping the cals to work out what my maintenance is yet so it could take a while for me to get to the bulking stage :/
  • UmmSulaimaan
    UmmSulaimaan Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Didn't know that about coffee maybe because I am coffee junkie and have tummy issues!! One more thing !! LOL
  • jeffpettis
    jeffpettis Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Body fat gets distributed according to genetics. Just as there is no way to spot reduce an area, there is nothing you can do about where fat gets stored. Ab exercises won't get rid of belly fat, it will only strengthen and build the ab muscles. If you are gaining too much fat back off on your surplus a little and try to add more muscle than fat. Fat gain is going to happen while gaining muscle, there's nothing you can do about it except try to keep it to a minimum.

Also the coffee thing causing fat to be stored in a certain area is interesting. I just read a research study the other day that said coffee before a workout can help reduce fat gain while building muscle. I don't remember where I read it now but my point is if you look hard enough you will be able to find a study that will tell you just about anything you "want" to hear. I do know that no food is more prone to get stored in one place as fat more than any other. There again genetics determine that, not the foods we eat.

Good Luck!