Low carb no more

Options
Hi all

Well i am new to this site. I have been following low carb diet now for 13 days, felt alright throughout until wed and today, very dizzy, stomach cramps on wed, have been having more salt as per advised, anyway finally had enough of this low carb programme as these dizzy spells are crap.
The one thing i have enjoyed about this style opposed to normal dieting is no sugar cravings.
Anyway back to normal way of eating for me.

Replies

• LaserMum
    Options
    Maybe don't ditch it all. Still try to keep clear of sugars in order to stop the sugar cravings. Use the bits that worked for you. Maybe combine with another style of eating to come up with what will work for you long term.

I think all these diets have something about them otherwise they wouldn't be so popular (even with all the marketing!). It's just a case of using them each in moderation and looking at what works for you as an individual.

I don't low carb although I know it works for a lot of people.

I do try to keep my carb intake relatively low (about 100-150g/day) and I don't eat white versions of bread/rice/pasta. But I couldn't follow something like Atkins.

Good luck in your journey anyway. Hope you find what works for you. :flowerforyou:
  • lartishs
    lartishs Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Thankyou for your advice, yes I have found out I definitely cant stay on 50-70 gr of carbs a day, but would like
    To try 150 grammes a day. Prior to starting on this my diet had a huge component of carb.
    I am a massage therapist so burn alot of energy.
    Anyway will modify diet so I dont feel so washed out.
    Again thanks for posting.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    ditch it!

low carbing is stupid unless you have a medical condition (with an actual diagnosis from an MD) that requires it.

otherwise, it's just another of these stupid diet fads based on pseudo-science and deprivation.

track your protein and fats. those are what matter.

eat protein to feel full, longer.

if you have certain high carb trigger foods, then cut back on those. but carbs are a ready energy source for your body and you shouldn't cut back on them if it makes you lethargic or dizzy or dulls your mental acuity.

the only way to lose weight and keep it off over the long run is to change your habits. do you really want to spend the rest of your life tracking carbs and keeping them below 50g-70g per day?
  • mistydeweese
    mistydeweese Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi lartishs! I hope you find something that works for you. If I were you, I would definately check with a doctor or certified nutritionist to make sure it is a good way of life for you.
    I just wanted to say that the symptoms you say you are having are pretty normal for when you START a low carb diet. The Atkins plan calls it the low carb "flu". You feel achy, sluggish, may get headaches, etc... If you decide to stick with it, these are not long term ailments you should have. I have been on Atkins for three weeks and finally got over them and now I feel great. I don't know what phase you had to start off in or how much you want to lose to get to your goal, but you can adjust your carb intake a little higher if it zaps your energy while doing massages/therapy. Just make sure that if you decide to do that, don't have the higher carbs at times where you will not be as physically active or on your "off" days. I hope this helps.
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    ditch it!

low carbing is stupid unless you have a medical condition (with an actual diagnosis from an MD) that requires it.

otherwise, it's just another of these stupid diet fads based on pseudo-science and deprivation.

track your protein and fats. those are what matter.

eat protein to feel full, longer.

if you have certain high carb trigger foods, then cut back on those. but carbs are a ready energy source for your body and you shouldn't cut back on them if it makes you lethargic or dizzy or dulls your mental acuity.

the only way to lose weight and keep it off over the long run is to change your habits. do you really want to spend the rest of your life tracking carbs and keeping them below 50g-70g per day?
    + 1,00000000 to infinity. :wink: Ditch it. Think about long term sustainability and a life without depriving yourself. Give this a read.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819925-the-basics-don-t-complicate-it
  • Skrib69
    Skrib69 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I agree with OP! I couldn't do Atkins, and go for the boringly sensible balanced diet, just less of it, avoiding the calorie dense stuff. Atkins is short term whereas life is long term and I would rather learn to live with the long term than have to come off a 'diet' and reeducate myself again. Besides, when foods become forbidden, I crave them more!