What do you do about muscle soreness?

Options
I started a new squats/lunges/deadlifts routine yesterday. 9 exercises-each being 3 sets of 15-20 reps. Since yesterday my thighs and butt are so sore that I can barely get up from my seat! Or sit for that matter. Walking up/down the stairs is a nightmare and once in a while my thigh is "collapsing" and I'm almost falling down.

Today is cardio day and if I don't do anything about this, I'll have to miss my workout! What can I do to reduce the soreness?

Replies

• aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    I do 3 things. I do a quick 10-15 minute (depends on how long I hold the stretches) yoga routing that stretches out my whole body and relaxes before I go to sleep. I sleep deeper, wake up less sore/stiff, and it feels great. I also add a little bit of arnica oil to the body lotion I use at night (I have separate ones for day and night, but obviously this isn't necessary). It helps a lot. I originally used it for a sore knee I had (my doc recommended it since I didn't like to take pills) and I loved it so much I just started using it all over. The last thing I do is make my own "supplements". It's not really supplements. It's just plain old turmeric that you buy in the spice aisle put into gelatin capsules. I actually use it for my costochondritis, but I noticed that it really helps with muscle soreness. I always have a big thing of turmeric around anyways so it's a nice way to use it up.
  • RunEatLift
    Options
    This is known as delayed onset muscle soreness (DOMS) and it's a b*tch.

What really helps me is foam rolling. Stretching and light cardio also helps.
    If it's really bad have some ibuprofen.
  • LarryDUk
    LarryDUk Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Foam roller. It changed my life, get one now!
  • crandos
    crandos Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Rest and recuperation with protein!
  • KMMRN
    KMMRN Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I have found swimming laps helps any and all aches and pains, injuries, arthritis, etc. It is AMAZING! Wish I had known about this sooner!
  • skinnybythanksgiving
    Options
    I take Hyland's homeopathic medicine. Arnica Montana 30X bruising and muscle soreness. Also after working out I always stretch out slowly, gently and thoroughly.

You may want to consider reducing the number of reps and build up gradually to what you want your goal to be.
  • itsfruitcake
    itsfruitcake Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I just stretch a lot, and I take a magnesium supplement which seems to help a bit as well.

Oh and I heard a hot bath can help, too.
  • CherylP67
    CherylP67 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    My muscles aren't as sore as yours, to the point of almost collapse. You definitely need to rest and recover.

I haven't studied DIMS (yet) it seems like I'm more sore the second day of being sore, nothing debilitating. I'm doing body weight exercises, rows, and pull up machine as well as learning Stronglifts lifts with an empty barbell.

I didn't realize how sore my abs were deep down inside until I did a plank again, yowsa.

I'm going to get some Arnica oil and also watch this thread.
  • p4ulmiller
    p4ulmiller Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Today is cardio day and if I don't do anything about this, I'll have to miss my workout! What can I do to reduce the soreness?

You can't (and shouldn't) do anything about it today.

Google "lactic acid" and when you next squat, warm up/cool down and stretch.
  • ChrisH135
    ChrisH135 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    you'll find the more you do this, the more consistent you become, the less you will suffer from it (that should be the objective) - so don't worry too much and certainly don't let it demotivate you...just a sign that your body has experienced something new and is adapting to it.

and as for how to deal with the immediate issue - as long as it is not severe pain (ie a sign that you have injured yourself) hen there's a good chance the pain will fade quickly at your next session.
  • blackNBUK
    blackNBUK Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    This is known as delayed onset muscle soreness (DOMS) and it's a b*tch.

What really helps me is foam rolling. Stretching and light cardio also helps.
    If it's really bad have some ibuprofen.

I read recently that Ibuprofen interferes with the rebuilding of your muscle tissue and hence you won't get stronger as quickly. It sounds like the OP is sore enough for Ibuprofen to be worth it but if someone needs to take it regularly they are probably overdoing their training.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    I just put up with it. Rar etc.

I'm so used to having it that it feels odd if I can't feel it somewhere. :laugh:
  • LumpySpacePrincess1
    Options
    This happened to me when I started my squat routine. Even when I lay down I had to turn over veerrrryy slowly xD
    Unless it's an injury, I'd recommend just pushing through with your next workout. The only thing that cured my soreness was exercise.
  • aliali786
    aliali786 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    It's a sign that you worked out don't worry about it most people I know get them after training it's called DOMS just rest and get your protein it gets better with time eventually you might even look forward to it Lol. Keep up the hard work don't let it put you off.
  • stephiehampshire
    Options
    I dont do resistane or toning yet I am focussed on cardio at the moment ...

... but where I am cycling 5-6 days in a row I get very sore achey thighs I found the most effective thing to help them is to carry on cycling and push on through. I find after 10 minutes the soreness has gone completely and when I get home Il have a nice relaxing bath and a good stretch

I used to go to the gym and had weights programme, it made me so achey I couldnt lift my arms the next day, but 3 weeks in I barely ached at all. I only got achey when I went up a weight,

So I guess what I am saying is percieverance (sorry cant spell) :) Not sure what your cardio is today but if your really sore why not switch a run to a bike ride / long walk?
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    I chase it. Since it's hard to make it happen any more, and I crave it.
  • 2lottie88
    Options
    Have a good stretch afterwards, and try getting some protein in ASAP afterwards, ideally within 30 mins. I usually just down a glass of semi milk. Foam rollers also will work wonders and as a professional dancer I couldn't live without one.
  • shoneybabes
    shoneybabes Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Epsolm salts in a bath does wonders for muscle soreness. Buy it in the chemist and chuck the whole lot in the tub. Sit and soak the pain away. The day after is never as bad as it could have been.

I swear by it.
  • pearlmorning
    pearlmorning Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I do 3 things. I do a quick 10-15 minute (depends on how long I hold the stretches) yoga routing that stretches out my whole body and relaxes before I go to sleep. I sleep deeper, wake up less sore/stiff, and it feels great. I also add a little bit of arnica oil to the body lotion I use at night (I have separate ones for day and night, but obviously this isn't necessary). It helps a lot. I originally used it for a sore knee I had (my doc recommended it since I didn't like to take pills) and I loved it so much I just started using it all over. The last thing I do is make my own "supplements". It's not really supplements. It's just plain old turmeric that you buy in the spice aisle put into gelatin capsules. I actually use it for my costochondritis, but I noticed that it really helps with muscle soreness. I always have a big thing of turmeric around anyways so it's a nice way to use it up.
    Thank you for sharing this, I love natural remedies. One of the reasons I set out to lose weight was so I could get off of my chol. and blood-pressure meds. I did!
  • babyblueca2000
    babyblueca2000 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Epsolm salts in a bath does wonders for muscle soreness. Buy it in the chemist and chuck the whole lot in the tub. Sit and soak the pain away. The day after is never as bad as it could have been.

I swear by it.
    I agree, I use this also after hard workouts and also after having a massage, I buy them at the drug store...swear by it.