Elliptical vs. Treadmill

Options
I have been exercising for 4 weeks now! I have only been using the elliptical from 30-40 minutes somewhere between level 1 and level 5. I am wondering if I would get a better calorie burn using the treadmill? I really want to start running, but I am nervous about not burning as many calories. Plus, I am doctoring a knee back to health. Just curious if anyone else has been in a similar spot or if anyone has any words of wisdom to provide... Thank you!

Replies

• phjorg1
    phjorg1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    whatever you do with more intensity will burn more calories.
  • TechOutside
    TechOutside Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I really love my elliptical, I fought my treadmill due to knee issues for years. It was an unhealthy love hate relationship.

Both will provide great cardio but I can do more and go harder with my elliptical simply because I don't have to fight the pain of the impact.
  • LumpySpacePrincess1
    Options
    Treadmill will burn more calories depending on the intensity you go at.
    If you plan to walk on the treadmill, you're better off using the elliptical. But if you plan to jog/run, then the treadmill has the greater burn. If you look at any calorie burning site it will tell you the same.
    You require a good stretch, warm up and cool down session on the treadmill though, so don't skip on that to save time. Your joints will thank you.
    And good shoes are needed.
  • LannyM74
    LannyM74 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I personally find that I get a more intensive workout from the elliptical (easier to get my heart rate up). But technically it all comes down to your heart rate. For me, a high intensity workout gets my heart rate up to about 155-165. My body will burn the same amount of calories whether I maintain that heart rate on a treadmill or elliptical.
  • Krista916
    Options
    I'd suggest testing the 2 with a HRM. Neither one will accurately calculate calories burned.
  • momjmd
    momjmd Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I do a combo of 4/1 to 10/8 on the elliptical and it is a good burn-- usually about 600 calories an hour.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    whatever you do with more intensity will burn more calories.
    This.
  • dianesheart88
    dianesheart88 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Since you did mention knee concerns, I would highly recommend sticking to the elliptical. Treadmills will be rough on your knee. Maybe try to alter your workout and do some HIT on the elliptical. I do that on my spin bike and burn a bunch! Good luck! Hope your knee gets better!
  • blueboxgeek
    blueboxgeek Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I can happily go 40 mins on the elliptical, I will hot and out of breath but if I was to jog for 30 minutes on the treadmill I would be dripping in sweat and very out of breath. But guess it would depend on what intensity you were doing either at.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    If you want to start running do the following...Go to a running store get fitted for proper shoes (your feet, joints and body will thank you...) and then I suggest starting with a couch to 5k program if you are just starting out running.

Also, depending on your knee issues...I have a knee that hates me, it's gotten better with every pound I've lost.
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    If you want to start running do the following...Go to a running store get fitted for proper shoes (your feet, joints and body will thank you...) and then I suggest starting with a couch to 5k program if you are just starting out running.

Also, depending on your knee issues...I have a knee that hates me, it's gotten better with every pound I've lost.

This, exactly. I run on the treadmill and am transitioning to outside. The more the weight comes off, the better my knee feels. They are two different ducks though. Much easier running on the treadmill. Couch to 5K is the way to begin. Good luck.
  • Mareebzz
    Mareebzz Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I personally find that I get a more intensive workout from the elliptical (easier to get my heart rate up). But technically it all comes down to your heart rate. For me, a high intensity workout gets my heart rate up to about 155-165. My body will burn the same amount of calories whether I maintain that heart rate on a treadmill or elliptical.

^^^This. I always found that I get a better workout on the elliptical. But as someone else said, as long as you get your heart rate up, it doesn't really matter which you do.
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    I have been exercising for 4 weeks now! I have only been using the elliptical from 30-40 minutes somewhere between level 1 and level 5. I am wondering if I would get a better calorie burn using the treadmill? I really want to start running, but I am nervous about not burning as many calories. Plus, I am doctoring a knee back to health. Just curious if anyone else has been in a similar spot or if anyone has any words of wisdom to provide... Thank you!

Is there somewhere you can run outside?

Here's what I found (my own personal experience)...I struggle running on a treadmill. I usually do 30-35 minutes of hills at level 5 running 5.0 mph (12 minute mile). I'm learning proper form, but at least at first, it caused a lot of shock to my hips and knees...Elliptical, now that I could do all day long. Others explained it to me like this: On the elliptical, you have momentum working for you. Once you get the pedals going...they kind of go on their own and your legs move with it (you do have to keep moving or they will slow down and eventually stop), but there's that-so it's easier and probably doesn't burn as much.

There's a world of difference in how it feels running on a treadmill vs running outside. I definitely feel I burn more running outside and I also enjoy it a lot more. The scenery changes...hills are much more random...trail running is becoming my new favorite thing.

If you're talking strictly calories, I think running has a bit of an edge on the elliptical. However, if you are nursing an injury right now, probably best to take it easy until it fully heals.
  • 2lottie88
    Options
    I've personally found treadmill to be much more effective to rack up the calories. But, this is all about your and what you're going to stick at. Maybe switch it up between the two? That way you are getting the different benefits of both but keeping the high impact risk of the treadmill lower than if you were doing it every day. Just keep an eye on that knee and don't push it. There really is no shame in walk/jog/walk/jog.
  • Geeky_Girl
    Geeky_Girl Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I've had better luck on the elliptical (I have a bad knee, too). It's easier on my joints and I can really get a good pace going. If you go at a steady, almost fast pace, and don't use the handles, you can achieve running on the elliptical (imho). The elliptical I use also has settings (like going backwards [hard!], going up and down hills, getting a higher heart rate, etc.). You can always try running on a treadmill for a week and see what you think. You can always go back to the elliptical. :)
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert on this topic. All I can say is that I run and if the weather is bad I will sometimes run on the treadmill. The ellipitcal kicks my *kitten*.
  • paulperryman
    paulperryman Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Treadmill is useless once your body gets use to it, all you'll achieve is wearing you feet out, if you jog you can get some benefit but you'd be better off walking and running in a real world location. Elliptical on the other hand works your whole body far more so, and also riding a bike is an excellent whole body workout that burns considerably more calories then you could on a treadmill in less time.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Running should burn the same amount of calories as the elliptical.

I personally have a tough time running on a treadmill. It's easier for me outside.
  • JoelleAnn78
    JoelleAnn78 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    This, exactly. I run on the treadmill and am transitioning to outside. The more the weight comes off, the better my knee feels. They are two different ducks though. Much easier running on the treadmill. Couch to 5K is the way to begin. Good luck.

I have always run outside and I find it is MUCH easier to run outside. The stead y pace of the treadmill has me winded before I ever hit a mile. Outside I can speed up and slow down as my body requires it and I can run 3.1 in under 30 minutes. On the treadmill I struggle to get to 2 miles.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options

I have always run outside and I find it is MUCH easier to run outside. The stead y pace of the treadmill has me winded before I ever hit a mile. Outside I can speed up and slow down as my body requires it and I can run 3.1 in under 30 minutes. On the treadmill I struggle to get to 2 miles.

I have a hard time on a treadmill mainly when I get off I feel like I'm still moving on a belt! Hard to explain, but I don't like it. Running outside can be tougher depending on the surface and if you're clumsy like me (I actually don't do much trail running because I know I'll hit a tree root or something and fall straight down on my hateful knee - though I did it once and didn't fall...I don't want to push my luck. I am jinxed after all!) I sometimes run at a middle school track and last night I ran around a cemetery and through my neighborhood on the sidewalks and street.