Not losing...don't understand why

Options
I purchased a fitbit one a few months ago and haven't lost a lb since.....I have an average burn of 2900-3000 and average intake of 1700-1800 calories. This is based on past 30 days although those numbers have been the same since a got the fitbit a few months ago.

I do 1 hr of exercise a day 5-6 days a week. 30 mins of Jillians 30ds and 30-45 minutes of running as well as a couple mile walk at night with my dog. I currently float between 153-156, I am 33 and 5'8.... which is not unhealthy but don't understand why I can not lose and get to my goal of 145. I started at a weight of 187 and dropped to where I am now over about 5 months. Have been at a stand still since beginning of June and I have bumped my calories around and changed up exercise, used to be gym and walking and changed to 30ds and running past 6-7 weeks...however still no loss and no inches lost either. Very frustrating and not because I am unhappy at current weight but because I don't understand why I cant lose the last 8-10 lbs. Any input or similar situations that figured this out would be great:)

Replies

• jmcreynolds91
    jmcreynolds91 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Hi there. Our numbers are about the same. My daily burn is about 2800-3000 with 10-15000 steps per day. I was eating about 1700 calories daily and lost about 40 pounds that way. Now, I am 13 pounds from goal weight and had stalled out for a couple weeks. I upped my calories to 2000 daily and the scale is going down again. Could it be your not eating enough for your activity level?
  • chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    What were you doing to lose weight that changed when you got the Fitbit? You were losing before Fitbit, right?

I know you said you changed up exercise but have you considered changing to something that uses different muscles from your walking/running muscles? Cycling, perhaps?
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    If your ticker is correct, you only have about 7 pounds left to lose. Unfortunately, those are the slowest pounds to come off. Be patient and keep eating at a healthy deficit. You'll get there.
  • nazish17
    nazish17 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I am having the same issue, keep at it my friends don't fall of the wagon like I did. WIth patience comes good things x
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I purchased a fitbit one a few months ago and haven't lost a lb since.....I have an average burn of 2900-3000 and average intake of 1700-1800 calories. This is based on past 30 days although those numbers have been the same since a got the fitbit a few months ago.

I do 1 hr of exercise a day 5-6 days a week. 30 mins of Jillians 30ds and 30-45 minutes of running as well as a couple mile walk at night with my dog. I currently float between 153-156, I am 33 and 5'8.... which is not unhealthy but don't understand why I can not lose and get to my goal of 145. I started at a weight of 187 and dropped to where I am now over about 5 months. Have been at a stand still since beginning of June and I have bumped my calories around and changed up exercise, used to be gym and walking and changed to 30ds and running past 6-7 weeks...however still no loss and no inches lost either. Very frustrating and not because I am unhappy at current weight but because I don't understand why I cant lose the last 8-10 lbs. Any input or similar situations that figured this out would be great:)

if you are accurate with all your figures, then you have a daily deficit of around 1200 cals per day...

you want to lose another 10lb or less, so you should have a deficit of between 200-500 cals at the most.
  • udt123
    udt123 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Leptin levels and adaptation(something nobody ever looks at) plays a huge part in all this mdoyle. You can read up more on that if you want and everybody is different. Long story short, you may want to increase your cals for a week again before you continue your diet, and you might want to change your exercises around.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    This...
    If your ticker is correct, you only have about 7 pounds left to lose. Unfortunately, those are the slowest pounds to come off. Be patient and keep eating at a healthy deficit. You'll get there.

And this...
    if you are accurate with all your figures, then you have a daily deficit of around 1200 cals per day...

you want to lose another 10lb or less, so you should have a deficit of between 200-500 cals at the most.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    This...

And this...

Just quoting for emphasis.
  • TonyStark30
    TonyStark30 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Should've taken your calories down not up a don't know why you thought more would help.

Drop cals down and then go over them occasionally, not bump them up full time.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    Options
    Should've taken your calories down not up a don't know why you thought more would help.

No. Just no.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSToTLZnUybRCA7xI3mVU3NE6Lb8IpwxMB1EAQj4bCUZB9J8QN4

If you work out as much as you are, then you do need to eat more. Seriously.
  • SkinnyFatAlbert
    SkinnyFatAlbert Posts: 482 Member
    Options

Probably though more would help because all people scream on here is "eat more eat more eat more." It's the default advice. Oh yeah, and lift heavy.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    Options

Probably though more would help because all people scream on here is "eat more eat more eat more." It's the default advice. Oh yeah, and lift heavy.

No again...People say eat more when you work out more because your body needs fuel. It's not hard, it's not rocket science. It's simple math.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options

It isn't just "eat more!" in general. Typically, when the advice is given, it's paired with plenty of other information in relation to the advice.

Oh, and it's advice that's given because it works.
  • TavistockToad
    Options

No again...People say eat more when you work out more because your body needs fuel. It's not hard, it's not rocket science. It's simple math.

get out of here with your common sense and being healthy... its not wanted in this thread....
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    The usual suspects...

1) your estimates could be off - daily calorie need, calorie intake, calorie burns. Is your estimated BMR/TDEE correct? Are you weighting/measuring your food. Are you logging EVERYTHING you eat? How are you estimating your calorie burns?

2) are your workouts still challenging like they were when you started? Over time, your body gets more efficient at zumba, the elliptical, insanity, whatever it is that you're doing. You need to either change up your workouts or be very cognizant of how hard you are pushing yourself.

3) are you expecting too much too fast? Patience is often the hardest part for people.
  • TavistockToad
    Options

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSToTLZnUybRCA7xI3mVU3NE6Lb8IpwxMB1EAQj4bCUZB9J8QN4

Mwah ha ha, i love him!!!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options

It isn't just "eat more!" in general. Typically, when the advice is given, it's paired with plenty of other information in relation to the advice.

Oh, and it's advice that's given because it works.

Not in my experience... advice is rarely given with any context or supporting information.
  • lucasmoten
    lucasmoten Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    What is your intake for fluids? Pure water? Or sodas/juices/etc.
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Your body has adapted very well! :)

The closer you are to goal (10 pounds or less) the closer to maintenance you have to eat. Try upping your calories by 50-100 per day each week until your eating at your TDEE -10% (TDEE is 2900-3000 cals according to your fitbit, so you want to work up to 2600-2700 per day). You want to be close to maintenance when you reach your goal anyway, to avoid the big rebound, right? (In a deficit you deplete your glycogen stores constantly, and when you start eating regularly again, you gain 3-5 pounds - that's the normal level of glycogen and the water it gets stored in.) It will take a little longer but it will break your plateau and then come off steadily. (And remember that you MAY gain a few pounds of glycogen and water at first - it will go away!) And you'll want to go maybe three to five pounds lighter than your goal, but then you won't have the frustrating yo-yo thing happen when your levels stabalize.

Best of luck!
  • husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    Options

This. I eat 1800-1900 calories M-Th (don't count on weekends), I don't exercise quite as much, though mine is 95% strength training, and I weigh 126 lbs (I'm 5'5"). Eat more, or at the very least, eat more for a week or so then cut back down.