What do you do about muscle soreness?

Options

Replies

• Armyantzzz
    Armyantzzz Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    You have stretched muscles possibly prior to "warming up" ... normally rest is a good remedy... but "warming up" prior to stretching prevents much of the "after pain":angry: Remember to "warm up and gently stretch":wink: before getting into your routine...:happy:
  • sammniamii
    sammniamii Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Water - down tons
    Ibuprofen - reduces swelling
    Roller (I use a hard one as the foam wasn't helping)
    Biofreeze

No matter how "warmed up" I am, when I lift I get DOMS everytime. Thus I HAVE to space my lifting every other (or two) days.
  • Alehmer
    Alehmer Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Work out again. Seriously, nothing is better for soreness than more activity as long as you aren't actually injured or have inflammation of the connective tissues.

Do some research into periodization and see how you can rotate the type of exercise you do for all the same muscle groups and still see consistent gains and fitness with far less soreness. Also look into active rest,which is basically what you are doing with a properly periodized workout.

IE
    Day 1 Maximal Strength squats (low reps, high weight)
    Day 2 Conditioning or middle/long distance running
    Day 3 Explosive Strength lifting (Olympic lifts, box jumps, dumbbell snatches, etc)
    Day 4 Conditioning or middle/long distance running
    Day 5 Rest.
    You are working the legs every day, but using them in different ways. Each neuro-muscular system is actually getting rest while a different one is working, all while you are getting a LOT of blood flow through the muscles to flush waste products and deliver nutrients for faster healing.

Aside from that, proper warmup, stretching, and cooldown with plenty of water and appropriate post-workout nutrition. And yes, foam rollers are quite awesome. If you are feeling brave, get something like the Rumble Roller. It's VERY painful while you are doing it, if you're doing it right, but it works wonders.
  • missdibs1
    missdibs1 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I find the worst thing to do is nothng at all. Dynamic stretches are ok (don't just stretch you could injur yourself. )

Also, are you stretching after your session when you are warm? (also stretching the opposite muscles?)

I find tight hamstrings make things alot worse.

If you can do a short cardio session, you will feel better (nothing major) but the blood circulation increase helps alot.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    The only way to make it better is to keep working out- so that it doesn't happen. There is nothing that makes it go away super fast.

Just drink water- take some profin and go work out again.
  • mcouturezz
    Options
    Lots of stretching, and more workout ! When I am sore, the soonest I can workout again the soonest it's gonna go away.. dont skip !!
  • elainemorris1982
    elainemorris1982 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Have you heard of a fitball roller? I got one in argos for 12 euro. Its a long foam roller. I get my husband to roll it over my legs after a good workout. It has definitely helped loosen my muscles. It does be sore but its worth it
  • wswilliams67
    wswilliams67 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    More exercise... LOL

1. Foam Roll
    2. Ice
    3. Stretch
    4. BCAA's
  • capriqueen
    capriqueen Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies everyone :-) Im not new to squats, iI just did them more as part of circuit training before and not very often as a complete routine. I wasn't even this sore when I did Trouble Zones.
    I believe I'll have to try the Arnica oil and Ibuprofen. Thanks! I don't know if i can find a foam roller though. And and as much as I want to do my kickboxing routine today, lifting my legs is kind of hard too.Its strange because this isn't the first timeIve squatted or something.
  • Salt_Sand_Sun
    Salt_Sand_Sun Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Love hate them DOMS!!! :)

Coconut Water
    Banana
    Stretch
    Foam Roller
    Walk
    Salt Bath

All of the above!!! :)
  • missdibs1
    missdibs1 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies everyone :-) Im not new to squats, iI just did them more as part of circuit training before and not very often as a complete routine. I wasn't even this sore when I did Trouble Zones.
    I believe I'll have to try the Arnica oil and Ibuprofen. Thanks! I don't know if i can find a foam roller though. And and as much as I want to do my kickboxing routine today, lifting my legs is kind of hard too.Its strange because this isn't the first timeIve squatted or something.

try this yoga flow from plank to cobra to downward dog to tree pose both sides
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

might not be your first time squatting but if you change it- the number or weights- it affects you.

Target carries foam rollers- same with dkcs sporting goods. probably champion or any generic sporting goods store.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    This is perfectly normal your first time starting a new routine, using exercises in a combination/format you never have before. It'll never be this bad again.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Foam Roll. Tiger Balm. Light cardio. Stretch.
  • MrsBobaFett
    MrsBobaFett Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Cry, yesterday my legs were so sore from sumo squats I couldn't get off the couch!
  • markpmc
    markpmc Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    ibuprofen and keep pushing.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    what I do about it is think "yay great workout, gonna grow me some muscles!"
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Make sure you stretch really well after doing your workout. That doesn't always do the trick but it can help a lot in my experience.

If you're too sore to do your planned cardio or whatever the next day, at least do some light cardio (like a walk or gentle bike ride or swim) for 10-15 minutes then stretch really well. As someone else said, you can do dynamic stretches without warming up but I think the warm up helps a lot. Or you can do both.

Taking a hot bath can help loosen things up too. Definitely look into getting a foam roller as they can work wonders.

And as always, make sure you're getting plenty of protein and water. Potassium can also help - eat some bananas and potatoes or take a supplement.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    It's worst when you get started or after hiatus. I rarely feel doms anymore lately, but I know I'm working it! Take some pain reliever and ride it out. It will get better.
  • MichelleB69
    MichelleB69 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Stretching, foam roller, epsom salt baths and plenty of water! A massage works wonders too!