10lbs loss first week

Options
Sobeone
Sobeone Posts: 72
edited November 2023 in Getting Started
Starting wt 285, 49 year old male. Wanting to lose at least 60lbs
All I did was quit drinking 1000 calories (6 cans) of Mt. Dew a day. Started drinking water first time EVER and cut down on snacks after dinner. I still had a donut after dinner yesterday. I by no means am starving although day 3 I did have a system crash. I felt faint, got major body shakes and got cold with major sweeting down my spine. Had to eat like 7 lil candy bars and 2 giant glasses of milk, I felt like I had to get sugar in me. Once I did I laid down and felt better in an hour. I don't know what it is but If I don't eat something for breakfast sometimes I will get this. I fill like a diabetic episode or something. I tell my doctor about this and he just shrugs his shoulders. Blood test are all fine. Anyway YEA! I lost 10lbs. At least 50lbs to go. Anyone else ever get these episodes or am I just weird?

Replies

• trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    Totally happens dude. First week in, you'll have a TON of water weight drop. The episodes you mention will level out, you're adjusting. Congrats on the first loss there.
  • davepearson86
    davepearson86 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Look up hypoglycemia. It is a condition that can preceed diabetes. You're doing the right thing getting your health on track now!
  • bakingforlife
    bakingforlife Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Something like that ,it seems to go good for a while and tben. Boom if i dont eat rigjy whem i get up im feeling pretty bad ,i bought a gluclose meter and yes it gets to low and singles for me to.eat .banannas peanuttbutter is what i.go for .
  • MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    I used to be like that too without breakfast. I was borderline hypoglycemic. No one could tell, because I never had my doctor appointments in the mornings... so by the afternoon I was fine. It wasn't until medic school in the military they started noticing my pulse really high and started questioning me about it.

Once you get used to the lower levels of sugar, they should be less frequent and less dramatic. Try adding fruit to your breakfast. They have the natural sugars, and lots more nutrition than the candy bars. Also be sure to drink water. The more hydrated you are, the better.

Congrats on your loss!
  • camilloapril
    camilloapril Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    You are probably experiencing episodes of hypoglycemia. To prevent insulin spikes, you need to eat every 2-3 hours. That keeps your blood sugar & insulin levels steady. Otherwise, your body has a rollercoaster of ups and downs with blood sugars. Great job for your first week! Keep doing what you are doing, just eat smaller meals more frequently, or at least have healthy snacks in between! Great work!
  • harley0269
    harley0269 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    yep happens to me all the time since I was a kid.
    happens if I wait to long to eat breakfast.
    I'm hypoglycemic. I end up laying on the floor dry heaving & sweating & shaking.
    I can snap out of it pretty easy if I eat buttered bread. don't know why but the carbs react faster for me than a candy bar would.
    (& I would end up crashing faster with a candy bar.)
    your not alone
  • p4ulmiller
    p4ulmiller Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Look up hypoglycemia. It is a condition that can preceed diabetes. You're doing the right thing getting your health on track now!

Yep. This is exactly it. Runners call it hitting the wall, cyclists call it the "bonk".

Your sugar level simply dropped and your body reacted normally. You've cut out all that sugar from Mountain Dew and snacking - your body is very confused!

All I would say is to make sure you read a lot about nutrition during exercise. If you are borderline diabetic/hypo, then you will need a source of good carbs to maintain glycogen.

Good luck anyway!
  • Nachise
    Nachise Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Good job! That happened to me the first week. I quit doing the things that made me fat.
  • lynnymcc
    Options
    I think you are also going through withdrawl from sugar....I know you still eat it, but if you were drinking 6 cans a day and then went to nothing? Your symptoms are similar to withdrawl...and like everyone is saying, "hypoglycemia". Make sure you get protein with every meal or snack...healthy fats too. Carbs will help in the short term (like get your Blood Sugar up, but it will also drop again quickly if you don't eat healthy fat and/or protein).
  • janicelo1971
    janicelo1971 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    congrats on the large amount of weight you lost on one week!! On another note, I don't think the best solution to your symptoms is to eat 7 candy bars....maybe fruit? I would also suggest seeing another doctor if the one your seeing cant provide you with answers..
  • Rogsman
    Rogsman Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Did the doc do a quick EKG? Most docs can do a fast version in the office and refer you elsewhere if something is spotted.

I do agree with what folks are saying about Caffine withdrawl. I'd drop the soda first, then everything else when the dust settles. There's nothing wrong with starting slowly and carefully. It's a marathon, not a sprint.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Welcome!

You are working toward health and going through some big changes right now. Congratulations on taking this big step and the weight loss. Your body is adjusting right now.

I have to eat breakfast and have frequent meals throughout the day (every few hours) or else I will get lightheaded and drained of energy. If I eat too much sugar, I soar then crash. There are certain situations where I can't eat sugar (work, home) because once I start I can't stop. At parties I'm a bit better, but I find myself going for the healthier foods.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Did the doc do a quick EKG? Most docs can do a fast version in the office and refer you elsewhere if something is spotted.

I do agree with what folks are saying about Caffine withdrawl. I'd drop the soda first, then everything else when the dust settles. There's nothing wrong with starting slowly and carefully. It's a marathon, not a sprint.

Oh yes, caffeine! I was drinking one of those liter bottles of diet coke a day and couldn't figure out why I was so jittery and didn't feel good. When I quit, I had all kinds of bodily reactions that first week or so. Now, I don't even want the stuff.
  • mtnhiker1
    mtnhiker1 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Did not get those episodes. Did have simlilar weight loss my first week (9 lbs) I cut out candy, cookies and cake. I started out at 271 lbs. But I never got the shakes or sweats - sounds like an addiction withdrawl.
  • rejordan
    rejordan Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Could have been the lack of caffeine too. Mt. Dew has a lot of sugar and caffeine; when you go cold turkey you can get the shakes like an alcoholic!
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Holy bad internet medical advice! Those episodes definitely sounds like low blood sugar, but it doesn't necessarily mean you are experiencing hypoglycemia. Diabetics often experience the same thing once they begin meds or diet changes because your body reacts the same way to a big drop in glucose, whether it's dropping from 92 to 42 (bad drop) or 252 to 202 (good drop). You've cut out almost 200g of sugar per day just with the Mt Dew, so your body is simply adjusting to the new (probably much better) blood sugar levels.

As someone who IS hypoglycemic, I recommend peanut butter crackers next time you have an episode rather than 7 sugar laden candy bars. The carbs in the crackers help stabilize blood sugar quickly, while the sodium settles the stomach and the small burst of protein helps you stayed leveled out until you can get some real food. They should go away as your body adjusts, but if not (or if it makes you feel more secure) go see your doctor and get a fasting blood test done.
  • Sobeone
    Options
    Holy Cow! I'm blown away by all of your responses. Thank You ALL so very much. Yep you guys are right hypoglycemic, low blood sugar. I'm just glad I finally have an answer now I know what I'm battling. I didn't mention this before but I went to the E.R one morning when I was having an attack and they literally laughed at me. I'm not kidding. They said well eat something. Anything just eat something. They Didn't say anything about low blood sugar. Made me fill real stupid so I thought it was just me. I cant believe how many nice people took time to help me. Once again Thank you ALL.
  • davepearson86
    davepearson86 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I conquered hypoglycemia with a ketogenic diet aka low carb high fat. For your goals to drop weight and get rid of these hypoglycemic symptoms I recommend you check into this. Paleo solution and primal blueprint are great books to read! Fathead is a good documentary.
This discussion has been closed.