The new me

Options
Good morning
I can't tell you how happy I am that I found this site, actually it was my doctor who told me to check this out.

I just turned 52, a mother of 3. My youngest child has Down syndrome and my husband has Muscular Dystrophy.
I found comfort and reward in food. Because I give so much to others I would tell myself that I deserve this Big Mac or it was just easier to order out after a long day.

Well, I finally got tired of being tired and I am desperate for more energy. As my husband declines in health I have more to do and take care of. So I decided it was time I took care of me.....after 35 years of smoking, I gave it up 26 days ago, started walking to church every morning 1/2 hour there and 1/2 hour back and I threw away everything unhealthy in my cupboard and fridge.

I am so proud of myself. I can't wait to see the pounds shed as I have 40 lbs to loose. I can do it...I can do it. My new mantra.

I look forward to reading your posts and finding inspiration. :flowerforyou:

Replies

• TheBitSlinger
    TheBitSlinger Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I salute you, dear woman! Man, that's some heartbreaking stuff... but you're going to face it not feeling terrible, but feeling physically so much better. Go you!
  • Garfy117
    Garfy117 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Well done - you've taken some huge steps there. I'm an ex-smoker myself and know how hard it is to quit - but it's totally worthwhile. Keep it up!
  • Jleonra
    Options
    As a member of a family of smokers, although I don't smoke, I know how hard it can be to quit, great to see you want to change for the better, take one day at a time and I'm sure you'll reach your goal. :smile:
  • nancybuss
    nancybuss Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your decisions!!!

GREAT job on the quitting smoking.

You do have more struggles taking care of others than the average person, that is so true. So glad you are no longer going to take a Big Mac as the reward for that though. Yes, you deserve You Time and that can mean making you feel better.

Welcome!!!!!

Nancy
  • cphair27
    cphair27 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your introduction; you certainly are someone I would love to help support. I'm sending you a friend request!
  • Triciad811
    Triciad811 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    you should be so proud of yourself for taking the first steps !!! You can do this ! Stay focused and motivated and get a network of supportive motivating people here to help you along your way !! I will send you a request ... would love to cheer you on !!
  • Regan45
    Regan45 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Good for you! If you can quit smoking, losing weight using MFP will be a piece of cake. I actually enjoy logging my food. Seeing/feeling the pounds come off is an awsome feeling.
    You can do this!
  • dcapulet
    dcapulet Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    You are amazing. Keep up the great work :)
  • BritinItaly
    Options
    Well done, I stumbled on this site and I love it, it helps no end. You go girl!
  • Tansy98
    Tansy98 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Welcome and congratulations on giving up smoking and taking that first leap to a fitter you! You've inspired me already to continue on my own journey to better health and I hope I can be some support to you on yours - sending you a friend request :smile:
  • Solomino
    Solomino Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Wow, I am blown away by the kind comments and support. This is the first time doing anything like this, so to receive all these wonderful words of encouragement is awesome, Thank you everyone for posting a comment.

:love:
  • skylarbwell
    skylarbwell Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on all of your life changes! I am a believer that you have to take care of yourself, so you can take care of others. Feel free to add me as a friend. I look forward to hearing more about your journey. :happy:
  • divacowgirl
    Options
    I am proud of you too! What amazing changes you have already made! I used food as "something I deserved" too.
    Now I use my exercise time as "just for me". It is harder than reaching for that bag of chips, but it is so rewarding! Congratulations, I am glad you found this site!
  • bsuew
    bsuew Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    You sound like an amazing lady! Im sure you have your hands very full. You deserve to do something for yourself! I'm 52 with 3 children as well. Feel free to friend me, I log on every day somewhere in the neighborhood of 410 days in a row now. I love to give everyone a big wtg everyday. Because that is what has gotten me this far! I agree this site is fantastic!
  • Goin4goal
    Goin4goal Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    You are an inspiration - would love to have you as a friend. I'm 62 and began earnestly in March and have lost 32 lbs. so far. It doesn't happen overnight and takes alot of hard work and dedication. But sounds like you've got just what it takes. I'll send you a friend request. Would to encourage each other!!!