Kettlebell Workouts?

I have been doing about a 35 minute kettlebell workout 4-5 times a week. I sweat like crazy and know that my heart rate is up there during the workout. I guess I'm just so unsure about the amount of calories burned. Research online varies from 13 calories a minute to 20 calories a minute. Any ideas out there?

Also, have any of you lost weight using this method of exercise? If so what did your workout consist of?

Thanks!!:happy:

Replies

• EnderNC
    EnderNC Posts: 383 Member
    Kettlebell is one of the most intense workouts out there. It's a lot, either way
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    I do a kettlebell workout on the Nike Training Club app - just did it this morning in fact. My HRM put my calorie burn at 188 for the 30 minute workout, last time I did it it gave me 218 (I must have worked harder last time :tongue: ). But we're all different, so hard to say for sure without using your own HRM - worth picking up a good model with a chest strap if you can. I'm 45, 5'8" and about 135lbs, and used a 10lb kettlebell.
  • I used the JM shred it with weights using a 7 lb kettlebell for 2 weeks and lost 5 lbs. My arm r looking great and I love the burned. Not sure on the right amount I just put it under circuit training.
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    The burn will vary with the types of movements you do and the variety of weights you might use.

I'd invest in a HRM if you're interested in the specific calorie burn. Good luck!
  • cgrout78
    cgrout78 Posts: 1,628 Member
    yeah...there isn't a way to guesstimate a kettlebell burn...so if you need to know, get the HRM...the closest on here would be calling it circuit training
  • bluebird321
    bluebird321 Posts: 733 Member
    I typically attend a class at a kettlebell studio 3X per week. It has made me more muscular and has been a nice complement to my Yoga practice.

My weight went up a little, but my bodyfat percentage went from 17% to about 13%. I just log it as 500 calories burned per 45 minute workout. I'm sure it varies quite a bit, but i'm not worried about it -- just as long as i'm consistent over the long haul.

I wish I had discovered it years ago when I was much younger.
  • judykat7
    judykat7 Posts: 576 Member
    Different question on Kettlebell workouts. These look like great fun and a workout I would really like. However my exercise arena has low ceilings-Legs together, hands over head and I touch the ceiling. Have to be careful doing some type of exercises. Does this eliminate me from a kettlebell workout or would I be able to do most of them and modify some other by widening my stance? Sorry to get of subject.

Get an HRM!
  • There are so many different kettlebell moves but you do need space to perform them. You should try doing the workout at home. And proper form is key so that you dont injure yourself. So you wouldnt want to modify the moves in my opinion. :)
  • bluebird321
    bluebird321 Posts: 733 Member
    Different question on Kettlebell workouts. These look like great fun and a workout I would really like. However my exercise arena has low ceilings-Legs together, hands over head and I touch the ceiling. Have to be careful doing some type of exercises. Does this eliminate me from a kettlebell workout or would I be able to do most of them and modify some other by widening my stance? Sorry to get of subject.

Get an HRM!

Snatches and turkish getups might be a problem, but most other exercises shouldn't be an issue.