Bruising

Options
Has anyone else noticed they bruise easier when they lose weight?

I have recently lost 10lb taking me down to 10lb6 (am 5'7" and quite "big boned") and I've noticed my hips and thighs are covered in little bruises. Is it just because I have a bit less "padding", or could I be deficient in a particular nutrient?

I am eating a varied diet with a focus on protein, fruit, veg, salad and good fats and minimal complex carbs. But no gluten, grains or refined carbs or sugar.

I don't think it is symptomatic of anything more serious as I am in good health overall.

Replies

• Poods71
    Poods71 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Hi, it could be your iron levels. I find I bruise a lot more when my iron is low :smile:
  • stephiehampshire
    Options
    I bruise easily anyway but Im not sure why, when I donated blood my iron levels were high and I bled out slowly,

Yet I will wake up with bruises and no idea of how I got them or I will walk into a table and wake up with a big black bruise

Its odd!

Sorry I cant help, I realise now how pointless this post is lol
  • Not at all, it's nice to know I'm not the only one!
  • Mane1972
    Mane1972 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I am the same way, I bruise much easier when I lose weight. I also wondered why this was the case. You are not alone! And my iron levels are good.
  • bluestarlight19
    bluestarlight19 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Might want to get some liver tests....
  • suzyfj8
    suzyfj8 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I bruise way more easily, I constantly look at my body and there is a new bruise on my hips or legs-no idea where they are from! I guess like you we have less padding so the blood vessels can burst more easily if there is pressure!
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    blood vessels are also closer to the surface so they show up more.
  • bubaluboo
    bubaluboo Posts: 2,098 Member
    Options
    I contemplated posting the same. I generally am a bruiser but since losing weight I only have to knock something gently and I develop a very large/ deep bruise. Often I have no recollection of what may have them (but that may be my memory loss ha ha). I look as though I have an abusive husband and it's a bit embarrassing when I go swimming as my legs are covered in huge bruises.
  • pearlmorning
    pearlmorning Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    As I got closer to maintenance I was covered in bruises! I looked like someone had taken a strap to me. I did discover I was low on iron, but I also found as I upped my strength exercises (especially squats) my bruising is back to normal with the extra muscle layer.
  • askeates
    askeates Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Have you noticed any sluggish feeling lately? I have anemia, and find that when my iron levels are low I definitely bruise more easily and feel very sluggish. Try adding more leafy greens (kale, spinach, broccoli, etc) to your diet, and also have at least 1 lean red meat each week and see if that makes a difference.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    See a doctor, please. I don't bruise more or less based on my weight. Bruising easily and without any recollection of where they came from (I mean, if you remmeber bumping your hips very hard onto something, there's an explanation) can be a sign of a few different things, some very serious.
  • Thanks for the advice guys. I've experienced no fatigue or ill symptoms, in fact since I've gone low-carb and lost a bit of weight I have bags of energy!

I do eat quite a lot of green leafy veg, but I guess I could introduce some red meat. I've also cut out chocolate and I know dark chocolate is a good source of iron and magnesium.

I noticed in yoga the other night that my back was hurting too (it never has before) but then looking at my back, all my back fat has gone so I guess it's down to padding.

If the bruising gets worse or I develop other symptoms I'll see the doc, but I'll try some steak first!
  • paulstephenmarshall
    Options
    forget the "liver tests" just eat some liver
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    I always have huge bruises on my legs, never know where they came from :ohwell:
  • Argh no liver!! Flashbacks to nasty childhood meals forced upon me, can't do offal, even the smell knocks me sick.

I am thinking this is a good excuse to go out for burgers though (without the bun) :-) for medicinal reasons of course!
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    Interesting, I've noticed I bruise easier too.
  • Armyantzzz
    Armyantzzz Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    A Doctor's visit will assist you in pinpointing the symptoms you mentioned. :wink: :wink: You need to be sure of what you're dealing with...:happy:
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    A Doctor's visit will assist you in pinpointing the symptoms you mentioned. :wink: :wink: You need to be sure of what you're dealing with...:happy:
    Or she can just listen to random strangers on a message board who give her the most easy solution and ignire that sudden random bruising is a serious issue ....
  • A Doctor's visit will assist you in pinpointing the symptoms you mentioned. :wink: :wink: You need to be sure of what you're dealing with...:happy:
    Or she can just listen to random strangers on a message board who give her the most easy solution and ignire that sudden random bruising is a serious issue ....

But surely the first thing the doctor will ask is if I have changed anything in my lifestyle (yes, have changed diet and lost weight) and second do I have any other symptoms at all (no I don't, I feel perfectly well).

Surely a good place to start is to check in with other people who have also lost weight to see if it is a common side effect, which according to this thread so far, it is!