Crock Pot Recipes?

Options
2»

Replies

• retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,753 Member
    Options
    I cut up chicken, toss in the pot with my favorite herbs of the week, this changes :) add a couple of cups of different veggies, put in one cup of water. Cook on low for up to 8 hrs or high for 4 hrs. and chicken stew ready to go over quinao or any other grain you like to use.If cooking of one, this will last you for days.

You can do the same with beef and veggies.

If pork is something you eat, take a couple of lean pork loin chops, cover with a can of Hatch's green chilies, diced, a chopped onion, and a can of diced tomatoes, add chile powder to taste, some garlic to taste, power or granuales or fresh doesn't matter, half cup of chicken broth. Tex-Mex pork chops in 4 hrs if cooked on high.

These should be enough to get you going.
  • mbrou28
    mbrou28 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    BUMP!!
  • 123janea
    123janea Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    :smile:
  • Roxmom66
    Roxmom66 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Pbgrl04
    Pbgrl04 Posts: 129
    Options
    bump
  • jonjon111
    jonjon111 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    bump
  • blondieellie
    blondieellie Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Great post - can't wait to try some of these recipes. Love my crock pot, esp since having a baby.
  • bananasyousay
    Options
    Check out skinnytaste.com. Lots of healthy low cal crock pot recipes
  • dpcdpjm
    Options
    bump
  • wiltl
    wiltl Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    In my crock pot at this very moment: Frozen chicken breast, Franks red hot buffalo wing sauce (1/2 - 3/4 bottle, depending on how much sauce you want or how much chicken), shot of whiskey, garlic powder and blue cheese powder to taste (I get mine at myspicesage dot com).

Cook on high for a couple of hours then low for the rest of the day. Shred or each whole. I then put the rest of the liquid in a saucepan to reduce it by about 1/4 so that its thicker and pour that over the chicken. I make enough to last a week, and use it for sandwiches, nachos, over quinoa and black beans with a bit of cheese. If sodium is a concern, this might not be an option for you, but its low cal and high protein.

I think today when I reduce the sauce, I'm going to throw some shrimp into some of it.

I've also made black bean soup/stew in my crock pot with beans (canned, rinsed or dry and soaked), broth, a bay leaf, seasonings and sometimes chopped ham shank. It freezes well, also.

Check out Pinterest, too. There are a ton of recipes that show up on my feed for everything from oatmeal to desserts.
  • Steph_in_Mississippi
    Options
    :smile: Yum!
  • KMMRN
    KMMRN Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    One chicken breast and cover with your about a half of a jar favorite salsa (I like walmarts mango lime) cook all day. Shred and serve in a taco shell, or with rice, or however you want. Add a nice salad on the side One of my go to meals.
  • Lucy_6678
    Lucy_6678 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    bump
  • KMMRN
    KMMRN Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Yes yes yes!
  • dan_IRL
    dan_IRL Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    be careful with a half a jar of salsa. that's a lot of sodium
  • MzLaLa29
    MzLaLa29 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    bump
  • LinFlemmer331
    LinFlemmer331 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Bump! All theses recipes sound delicious, and as the weather gets colder the old crockpot will come out!
  • mvanzante
    mvanzante Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I didn't read through all the other posts to see if I'm repeating something, but I wanted to give some input.

The best crockpot tip I ever heard was concerning a lamp timer. If you want to use your crockpot to cook dinner while you're at work, it can be hard to find recipes that take a full day to cook. This is where the lamp timer comes in. You can set it to start at, say, 2:30 PM, so that your 3 hrs crockpot recipe is done by the time you get home at 5:30 PM. However, you also want to maintain safe cooking conditions -- don't put thawed chicken into a crockpot that's not gonna start cooking for 6 hours. Instead, start with a frozen or partially frozen chicken so that it thaws during the pre-cooking period.

As for recipes, a lot of people like the convenience of cooking steel cut oats in a crockpot overnight so that it's ready for breakfast. Yum!
  • dan_IRL
    dan_IRL Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    The best crockpot tip I ever heard was concerning a lamp timer. If you want to use your crockpot to cook dinner while you're at work, it can be hard to find recipes that take a full day to cook. This is where the lamp timer comes in. You can set it to start at, say, 2:30 PM, so that your 3 hrs crockpot recipe is done by the time you get home at 5:30 PM. However, you also want to maintain safe cooking conditions -- don't put thawed chicken into a crockpot that's not gonna start cooking for 6 hours. Instead, start with a frozen or partially frozen chicken so that it thaws during the pre-cooking period.

This is the best advice I have heard in quite some time. I never thought of that! I always did my crockpotting on the weekends because I was scared of burning the house down, or even worse, burning my beef stew after 10 hours of cooking while I'm at work!