Seven Ways to Redefine Overeating So You Will Stop

Options

Replies

• Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    I can't relate to the article either. My obesity, binge eating disorder, lack of willpower, inability to feel full/satisfied, chronic illnesses etc was entirely due to malnutrition caused by a Standard American Diet based on processed foods. When I decided to eat healthy foods the need to over-eat vanished entirely. It was not a mind over matter thing in any way at all, and further berating myself would have had no effect either; except to possibly make me eat more.
  • 40mpw
    40mpw Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Wow, thank you. This has certainly given me some perspective.
  • Mistizoom
    Mistizoom Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I don't find the article useful, sorry. My overeating was cured by cutting down on the carbs. Cutting out carbs came first, then ketosis, then appetite suppression. Overeating magically cured. I have lost 78 lbs. and have not done any major introspection as to why, other than to stop eating so many damn carbs. If you read the low carb literature, you will see that insulin production is what drives us to eat, it's a viscous cycle. A biological cycle. Stop the carbs and stop the madness.
  • TheBitSlinger
    TheBitSlinger Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Some people will find this extremely harsh - but it is brutally honest. No sugar coating here. I tend to agree with it except on one level. Some people suffer a legit mental illness that controls the way they eat, so we need to be a little more sensitive to this. He said there are loads of qualified therapists for this, but I tend to disagree. Most therapists are useless, in my experience. Regardless of therapy, a lot of these people are on medication that controls the appetite and there is no escaping it. I was one of them. I quickly shed the weight when I was able to kick the meds.

Anyway, decent article.

C3E49Ou.gif
  • xxghost
    xxghost Posts: 4,697 Member
    Options
    Stopped reading at
    Eating any junk food at any time may be called overeating by definition.
    Look, having a bad relationship with food is a called an eating disorder. Why would you want to program yourself into an eating disorder?

Same.
  • happycauseIride
    happycauseIride Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Bumping so I can read this when I have more time. Thanks for sharing.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    #6 is a little disturbing. Overeating is a lack of self control and people are seeing it? Funny, because under eating and anorexia are caused by a desire for control. Even the tone of it seems like it was pulled from a thinspo "thinspiration" image.
  • NavyKnightAh13
    NavyKnightAh13 Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    Bumping to read for later.
  • LumpySpacePrincess1
    Options
    I disagree completely with junk food being something to avoid.
    Diets based on avoiding foods are the most likely to fail.
    Calories are calories. If you eat a 200 calorie Kit Kat are you done with eating for the day since according to this article you've overdone it?
    I think Logic just packed its bags and committed suicide.
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    So much BS to be called I don't know where to start.
  • Mother_Superior
    Mother_Superior Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options
    Hey, whatever you've gotta tell yourself amirite? For me it's, "Everytime I eat a cupcake, somewhere a kitten dies." It's how I lost the first 50.

tumblr_lwobmpkPmB1r6aoq4o1_400.gif

kelly-kapur-head-shake.gif
  • mazmataz
    mazmataz Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this! I love #6 - 'overeating is a public confession that you lack self control'.

Yup this one is pretty powerful...
  • bergamese
    bergamese Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Um, no.

Our bodies have an energy storage mechanism because it is virtually impossible to feed it the exact about of energy it needs at any given moment. "Over-eating" simply builds up that reserve for when the body needs energy and there is no immediately available food source.

Over-eating is not evil. We are actually designed to do it. However, consistently over-eating will build up an excessive amount of reserve, which can have negative repercussions on health and well-being.

For a lot of people, eating becomes linked to deeper emotional issues, and they end up developing an unhealthy relationship with food. The problem I have with this article is that if anything, it pushes that relationship to an even unhealthier level.

"Eating any junk food at any time may be called overeating by definition."

So basically, eating even a small treat constitutes a violent, self-centered, immature act of punishment and self-sabotage.

Yeah, that sounds healthy.

Thanks for posting. that sums up how I feel about the article.
  • FizikallyFit
    FizikallyFit Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Is this on an anorexia blog? a lot of the language used is how people with eating disorders talk to themselves about their relationship with food. This post is really triggering, I wish you would think before posting such a thing.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    For me it helps to think of quitting smoking as an analogy. I haven't been a smoker, but I can imagine that if I wanted to quit smoking, it would be helpful to reframe how I think of cigarettes, and it may very well take a dramatic reframe like those in the article: "the minutes spent smoking a cigarette steal minutes spent with my future grandchildren", that kind of thing.
    So for someone with a real binge eating problem, they may need such a line in the sand, "snickers bars, never again".
    I have been a smoker. And I first learned moderation and later (after I discovered it was still affecting my health in small quantities) quit. None of those things ever involved self-loathing or self-brainwashing.

And the difference with food is that food is not innately harmful to you, and you must eat to survive. If you want to have some semblance of mental health and/or happiness, you do need to learn moderation with food.
  • TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options
    Is this on an anorexia blog? a lot of the language used is how people with eating disorders talk to themselves about their relationship with food. This post is really triggering, I wish you would think before posting such a thing.

exactly what most people are saying. that's why the post was ****ed up. sorry you got triggered, but you certainly do not have to and should not think like that.
  • beeblebrox82
    beeblebrox82 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    "Eating any junk food at any time may be called overeating by definition."

I completely disagree with this. Calories in vs. calories out, watch your macros, you're fine. Carbs are not evil. Neither is fat. If you got room for it in your log, enjoy a damn Snickers, it;s not going to kill you.

I lost 55 pounds and am stronger than I ever have been and I never completely cut out meat, or pizza, or butter, or Mike and Ikes. I'm not saying you should go down a gallon of diet coke because it "doesn't count" but all things in moderation, and moderation in all things. Don't feel guilty about a slice of pizza, but know you got to work a bit harder the next day if you go 500 calories over because of it. Owning your Diet does not mean you can't enjoy your food.

I do like the self control and maturity topics. We're grown ups, we know what excess calories do to our bodies. you don't put extra gas in your car's trunk, have the same respect for your body.
  • nitaaaaa
    nitaaaaa Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I like the one that overrating is not a reward, it's a punishment. Maybe to some the work "punishment" is a bit extreme and could conjure up an unhealthy response, but I like the idea that I should not see the chance to overheat or indulge as part of a celebration for something (which I often do). This overeating is not a few extra calories that can happen to anybody, but a conscience disregard of all my hard work during the week and a "free" pass to eat whatever for that one night bc I'm "already having a cheat day, so might as well go all out".
  • suzyfj8
    suzyfj8 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I love this post and definitely makes you look at overeating in a different light :)
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with just being rational and just defining overeating as exceeding the amount of calories your body needs to maintain good health?

Preposterous. Where's the self-loathing? Where's the suffering? Where's the guilt? Everyone knows they are essential to weight loss.

don't forget hair shirts and self-flagellation. they're also essential to weight loss. If you're not constantly suffering and punishing yourself and telling yourself you deserve it for committing the heinous, horrific, diabolical crime of eating a bit more than you burn off and storing too much adipose tissue, then you're never going to lose weight. Ever.