Answer: Hypothyroidism, Synthroid Dosage, & Weight Loss

Options
I've been taking Synthroid 75ug for about three years to treat hypothyroidism. I know there are several of us on this site, since one of the effects of untreated hypo (for me, anyway) was to gain weight. I topped out at 285.

I have lost over 60 pounds now since mid-January, and counting, My question is for other Synthroid patients. Did your doctor adjust your Synthroid level after you had lost a large amount of weight? Or does the level, once established, remain constant throughout the rest of your life?

Sorry to ask such a personal question in such a public forum, but I really have no-one else to ask, and I know this supportive community will be honest and caring as always :smile:

Replies

• JamieM8168
    JamieM8168 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Yes! I got taken off of my synthroid completely and for good after I lost my weight!!
  • VictoryGarden
    VictoryGarden Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Usually your dose will need adjustment downwards after weight loss. If you haven't had a blood test in awhile since you've lost weight, just preemptively make an appointment and get it done. Hyperthroidism (the opposite) is very bad for you as well
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    If you are feeling shaky or having heart palpitations se your doctor immediately to adjust your dosage.
  • lucystacy71
    lucystacy71 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I'm still on the same amount of synthroid, but I don't think I'll ever be able to stop taking it honestly. My thyroid stopped working after my kidneys failed, and it's doubtful it will start working again even after I get a new kidney.
  • janalayn
    janalayn Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I see my doctor every three months for blood work. He insists on regular checks. My TSH level has fluctuated over time since I had surgery to remove half my thyroid. I can tell when I need to increase my medicine because I start to gain weight. I am currently on 175mcg a day.

Talk with your doctor.
  • BikerGirlElaine
    BikerGirlElaine Posts: 1,631 Member
    Options
    My doctor told me that often the dose has to be reduced as you lose weight, simply due to less body mass. Mine hasn't been reduced and I'm not expecting it to be, my thyroid appears to not function at all any more.
  • lcfairbairn74
    lcfairbairn74 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    You've asked a very good question. I was on 325 micrograms of thyroxine and went to the doctor after losing 40 pounds as I felt shaky and had heart palpitations. Turns out I was severely over-replaced because I had lost weight. My dose was reduced to 200 and has just been reduced again to 175 micrograms!

I would recommend getting regular blood tests as your dose will, most probably, need to be reduced as you drop the pounds :smile:
  • RM10003
    RM10003 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this--I am on 112 but every once in a while recently have moments where I feel a little hyper.
    I will have to make sure to get my levels tested when I am at the doctor next month.
  • kbanzhaf
    kbanzhaf Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I lost all of my weight AFTER I had been on generic Synthroid for about five years. My doctor has not adjusted the dosage since my weight loss, but I do know I'll be taking it the rest of my life. It is hard to maintain my weight.....and I need to work on doing a better job at tracking my calories and exercise. Got rather lazy over the summer while I was on break (I'm a teacher), and haven't gotten back in a good habit yet.
    Kaye
  • ItsAnIllusion
    ItsAnIllusion Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I have my TSH levels tested regularly to make sure I'm in my target range. I have had to adjust it before. I'd recommend going in to get the blood work done.
  • twentyco
    twentyco Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I was on 225. I had blood work done this week, and the doctor reduced me to 200 because my TSH levels were very low. She said it's common to have to reduce dosage after weight loss.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    I've been taking Synthroid 75ug for about three years to treat hypothyroidism. I know there are several of us on this site, since one of the effects of untreated hypo (for me, anyway) was to gain weight. I topped out at 285.

I have lost over 60 pounds now since mid-January, and counting, My question is for other Synthroid patients. Did your doctor adjust your Synthroid level after you had lost a large amount of weight? Or does the level, once established, remain constant throughout the rest of your life?

Sorry to ask such a personal question in such a public forum, but I really have no-one else to ask, and I know this supportive community will be honest and caring as always :smile:
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options

No matter what your circumstances are, your thyroid functioning should be checked at least once a year, because it varies over time due to a wide variety of factors. I take 200mcg of Synthroid plus a couple of other meds for my thyroid, because I no longer have a thyroid and get checked every three month. In your case taking a low standard dose, I would insist to be checked at least once a year weight loss or not.
  • Serenitytoo
    Serenitytoo Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    My Doctor told me that your dose is tied to your weight. As you lose you will need less and if you gain you may need more. Getting it checked regularly is the best way to go as you lose.
  • lcfairbairn74
    lcfairbairn74 Posts: 412 Member
    Options

No matter what your circumstances are, your thyroid functioning should be checked at least once a year, because it varies over time due to a wide variety of factors. I take 200mcg of Synthroid plus a couple of other meds for my thyroid, because I no longer have a thyroid and get checked every three month. In your case taking a low standard dose, I would insist to be checked at least once a year weight loss or not.

This is a very good point. In the UK, we get mandatory testing once a year by a national body. I forgot that this may not be the case over there!
  • goldiejoe
    goldiejoe Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your answers, everyone :smile:
  • samhradh
    samhradh Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    There is a group full of interesting Hypothyroid folks.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/753-hypothyroidism-and-hyperthyroidism

I personally never lost a single pound on T4 only meds.

Switched to NDT armour this year and the weight has started to come off .

Also another couple of good facebook groups.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/FTPOThyroid/

https://www.facebook.com/thyroidsexy?fref=ts