NonGMO Whey Protein not costing out the *kitten*

Options
Does anyone know where to purchase a quality whey protein that's not the cost of a mortgage...lol. It's a shame that we have to pay such high prices to NOT consume chemicals.

The ones I've seen are extremely expensive and once you do purchase them they are only half way full.

Replies

• richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Not sure if serious? Whey protein is from milk --- and I'm pretty certain we don't have genetically modified cows, so all whey is going to be non-GMO.

And, like breakfast cereal, whey is sold by weight, not volume. So yeah, it settles in the package. It's still cheaper per scoop than a steak (though not as tasty).
  • FrauHaas2013
    FrauHaas2013 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    What do you consider to be expensive? I'm using a great one right now - Jay Robb's whey protein - the vanilla flavor. I got it at GNC for $20 or so...probably cheaper directly from his website or Amazon, but I only use one scoop per day (tehre's 11 servings in a 12-oz bag), it's delicious and is a great protein to use - no sugar, no fat!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Not sure if serious? Whey protein is from milk --- and I'm pretty certain we don't have genetically modified cows, so all whey is going to be non-GMO.

And, like breakfast cereal, whey is sold by weight, not volume. So yeah, it settles in the package. It's still cheaper per scoop than a steak (though not as tasty).

Shhhhhhh, let's still blame Monsanto
  • meskew87
    meskew87 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I use whey factors double chocolate and have been very happy with it. It's pretty inexpensive on vitacost.com and their shipping is super quick.
  • dafoots0911
    dafoots0911 Posts: 347 Member
    Options

Really? Even the cows treated with growth hormones or antibiotics?
  • Acg67
    Options

What does GMO mean?
  • dafoots0911
    Options
    Maybe I should have said without the chemical additives and fillers, i.e., aspartame, sucralose, modified whatever or enriched whatever. I know they say small amounts is harmless, but what if you consume 2 to 3 protein drinks a day?
  • cyberbidder
    Options
    Check on line esp bulk suppliers two are purebulk and truenutrition.
  • Acg67
    Options
    Maybe I should have said without the chemical additives and fillers, i.e., aspartame, sucralose, modified whatever or enriched whatever. I know they say small amounts is harmless, but what if you consume 2 to 3 protein drinks a day?

And the dosage of said ingredients would be?
  • dafoots0911
    Options
    Check on line esp bulk suppliers two are purebulk and truenutrition.
    Thank you. There are artificial flavors. I guess that's just the way it is now.
  • japar
    japar Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Not sure about the non-GMO piece, but I have used several and prefer Isolates. Best value I have found are products from Body Fortress (I use both the Super Advanced Whey and the Super Advanced Isolate). In the BF Isolate 92% of calories are from protein (30 grams/serving), you get over 35 grams of protein per dollar, and it costs about $0.85/serving. The BF Whey has a lower % calories from protein, but even better cost per serving and cost per gram of protein. Tastes good too.
  • japar
    japar Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    ...and you can get the BF Whey from Walmart ($16 for 2 pounds). I get the BF Isolate from Amazon at $22 for 2 pounds.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

If you are concerned about nutrition you should just maybe have a larger variety of food sources.
  • dafoots0911
    Options

If you are concerned about nutrition you should just maybe have a larger variety of food sources.
    I am not using protein for all meal replacements. Some days I have one for breakfast and after working out. I'm just trying to cut out as much of the chemicals in my diet as mentioned before as possible. It seems most protein powders have plenty of artificial ingredients in them. The few times of week I do have a couple of protein shakes, I would like to eliminate the artificial ingredients as much as possible, and I see no nutritional value in those ingredients. I truly believe they do more harm then they could ever do good.
  • lovebig30
    lovebig30 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I use a soy protein powder it only has the following ingredients: Soy protein isolate, fructose, natural and artificical flavors, and soy lecithin. 20g of protein per serving and only $10 for 14 servings. I drink it mixed with ice coffee.it comes in vanilla and chocolate and available at walmart
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options

The title was "NonGMO". GMO = Genetically Modified Organism. Hormones and antibiotics do not genetically modify the cow.

Any dairy products you consume - unless you specifically source dairy that does not use hormones and antibiotics - is going to potentially contain traces amounts of these compounds in the milk. Or in the meat, if you eat beef.

Most soy (in the USA at least) IS GMO. You can thank Monsanto for that one.

Thing about protein powder is it is by definition a highly processed food. The protein is isolated from the source (milk, soy, eggs, whatever) and dried down. In other words, it is taken away from the hormones, antibiotics, other proteins (like casein) etc. If you get an isolate, it is further purified away from other stuff, and you get more protein per serving. Hydrolysates are even more processed to break the long proteins down to smaller parts.

Thing is, if if you have a pure protein powder, it is pretty much going to taste like crap. They have to add stuff back to it to make it palatable, as well as making sure it will dissolve easily, have a good shelf life etc. Bottom line is - if you are going to have a powder, it is going to have some things added. You are just going to have to read the labels and see what is acceptable to you. And maybe figure out that a little bit of added lecithin to help it resuspend in your blender bottle isn't going to kill you. Or, eat real food.
  • endoftheside
    endoftheside Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I use Now Foods Organic Whey Protein. The only ingredients are organic whey and organic soy lecithin (pretty difficult to find one without lecithin, and all the non-organic lecithins, soy or otherwise, *are* GMO as far as I know).

19g protein and 19 servings per container and I don't know what price level is out the *kitten* so I can't comment on that part--I use it more for convenience and not that frequently so cost wasn't as much of a determining factor for me.

Taste-wise, I pretty much have to add some carby goodness to it to make it edible (bananas and chocolate work great).
  • srcardinal10
    srcardinal10 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    OMG I love you for posting this! I just bought mine last night and wanted to cry! Not to mention I was already buying groceries at Whole Check (Whole Foods).
  • sammniamii
    sammniamii Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Ok, just to FYI - I use ON Gold Standard Whey & Body Fortress - ATLEAST TWICE A DAY, sometimes up to 3 times a day w/ gym use. I drink it w/ unsweetened ALMOND milk & water.

Have been doing this for MONTHS and I'm fine. Peachy.

ON Gold Standard I get online for 27.99 (2lb) 49.99 (5lb) and BF @ Walmart for $16.
  • sealevels
    Options
    I use a soy protein powder it only has the following ingredients: Soy protein isolate, fructose, natural and artificical flavors, and soy lecithin. 20g of protein per serving and only $10 for 14 servings. I drink it mixed with ice coffee.it comes in vanilla and chocolate and available at walmart
    Soy lecithin is what OP is probably trying to avoid in the first place.

I use Blue Bonnet whey. The 2 lb. tub is about $40. I know, not cheap. It's lasted me a long time, though. (I don't drink it everyday.)