Worried about the weekend

Options
Hi All!

Well, it's TGIF! I made it through my first 5 days (so far...) but, I am a little worried about the weekend. This will be my first weekend of "getting healthier" and hubby and I usually go out on weekends and eat all the good stuff that is sooo bad for you!
I just have to get it in my head to choose healthier foods if we do go out. Or maybe a few "bad" foods? (Portion control!)
Monday morning is my first weigh in since starting this and I don't want to throw away all my hard work over the weekend! :frown:

Replies

• Looking2blittler
    Looking2blittler Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I always make a deal with myself to hit the gym early in the mornings so I can bank extra calories just in case of a mishap. Or I try to find stuff to do that involves a LOT of walking, that way while I am eating, I am walking as well. Like a festival or something.
  • FP4HSharon
    FP4HSharon Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Definitely work out first thing, ask your hubby if he can tell you where you're going before you leave, so you have time to go online & check out their menu, decide what you'll eat before you get there & feel more tempted, & think about that weigh in if you're weakening. TELL your husband what you're having before you go, so it'll be harder to change your mind, also tell him what you won't be having like appetizers or desserts (if that's your plan). Try to pick a restaurant that does have healthy choices (most do, but there are some that make it extremely difficult). Also maybe see if your husband would like to go for an evening walk after dinner. It's easier to find healthy foods, than to try to do portion control w/bad ones. Heard about one lady that would order food, but intentionally only eat half & take the rest home, because of huge restaurant servings. But even a half of unhealthy foods could negate all your hard work. If this is something you do every weekend, then you need to get into a habit of dealing w/it well, without sabotaging yourself. You can do it!
  • brynnsmom
    brynnsmom Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Start by getting your exercise in early. Maybe start cooking some nice healthy dinners at home in place of going out. I try not to get too celebratory on weekends - special occasions are one thing, but really it's just another day of the week. I tend to be slightly more relaxed in my eating but going over by a few hundred calories is totally different than blowing it by 1000. Weekends can really ruin your progress if you're not careful!
  • MaiLinna
    MaiLinna Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Cook your own versions of your favorite "bad foods." I guarantee that even if they're bad like fried chicken, making it yourself will still save a ton of calories.
  • renatewolfe
    renatewolfe Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Decide where you are going out to eat, then look at the menu online before you leave, so that you can pick out healthy choices. All restaurants are now supposed to post nutrition information. This has really helped me.
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    Portion control is great, and there are always lower calorie options that still taste awesome.
    Maybe go on a long hike, walk or bike ride with you hubby before you go out for food!
  • dearb1
    dearb1 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Great post! Yes I am also worried about my first week end! You got some great advice! Lets get in our exercise in the morning! Good luck hope you stay focused this week end!
  • Aeramis13
    Aeramis13 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Plan ahead!

Choose a restaurant and look up their food ahead of time. Log it ahead of time if that helps you (it does help me!) Then just stick to what you decided to order and all the stress is gone. Don't forget to look up drinks - especially boozey beverages as they can have quite a caloric kick!

Eat a clean salad at home before going out to eat to dull some of your "OMG I WANT ALL THE FOODZ" feelings. And/or drink a big glass of water or 2 (3...4?) prior to ordering/eating.

Work out earlier that day (go for a long walk, do an exercise video, whatever works for you!) to give yourself a calorie buffer.

Don't forget that it is totally acceptable to not eat everything you order. Taking leftovers home is awesome and super budget friendly.

Don't stress too much. You CAN make this work :)
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    eat,
    drink,
    be merry
    just go work it off
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    eat,
    drink,
    be merry
    just go work it off

^^^ 100% this. If it really bugs you, still eat what you want but watch your portions. I have always eaten and drank whatever I want on the weekend.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind that monday may also not be the best weigh in day...I'm usually at a higher weight on Monday than any other day of the week...this is not fat from over consumption...it's pretty hard to over consume enough over a 2 day period to actually put on real weight...but there is bloat from drinking more beer than I do during the week and I usually have food with a higher sodium content, etc. Just throwing it out there because people weight in on Mondays and are all WTF...I knew I shouldn't have had those chicken wings or whatever...it's not fat, it's water...but it does show up on the scale.
  • 27toheaven
    Options
    I'm worried about the weekend too!! It is when things tend to get out of control. I personally think going out is a treat and I would work out before I would go for a meal and basically just order a main course that sounds most appealing and eat it regardless of the calorie number.

However if you are going out regularly than yes you need to look up healthy options and dont be afraid to tell the waiter to leave off the sauce or swap your fries for a salad etc.

Btw maybe change weigh in day Saturday morning is good as it puts less restriction on your weekend food intake.
  • howardheilweil
    howardheilweil Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Going out to dinner on weekends is great, but there is no rule that is has to be unhealthy. You can always find a healthy or healthier option. Also, if you only weigh in once per week, why Monday if you know you'll struggle over the weekend? How about Fridays instead? Just a thought... Good luck!
  • shell_mc
    shell_mc Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I agree with looking up the NI for your restaurant of choice before you go. Decide in advance what you'll eat and drink and stick to it.

Wave away the bread basket or tortilla chips if you can't keep out of them.

Lots of healthy options available, you just have to be mindful about looking for them!

Remember, this is a lifestyle change, not a diet. So, if you really want to eat a few mozzarella sticks and have a couple of beers, go for it. Just eat less the rest of the day, or get extra exercise in the morning.

Enjoy!
  • Jill_with_a_G
    Jill_with_a_G Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    All of the above is great advice. Preview the menu, decide what you want before you go. Pick a healthy restaurant. Workout to bank some calories. BUT, you also need to put going out into perspective.... Why are you wanted to lose weight in the first place? Most likely because old habits have gotten you to where you are now. Only you can change things. Don't let the food rule you. Sure it tastes good, it's naughty to eat sinfully wonderful food, but how do you really feel after you eat it? is it worth it? Your self esteem lift about not giving into temptation and the lack of guilt over what you ate will leave you empowered. What a great way to wind up your first week. Make your first weigh in a fantastic one and add tempting things like dinner's out later. This journey is not just a physical one but a mental and emotional one. All said, whatever you decide to do. have fun this weekend, but remember, it doesn't have to mean eating everything in site or that 1700 calorie plate of Fettucini Alfredo :)
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    There are a number of things you can do:

-Choose healthier options.
    -Choose to get a box and put half the meal in it before you eat any.
    -Choose a place with salad bar and order an appetizer to go with it instead of full meal.
    -Order double the steamed veggies in place of french fries.
    -Choose to have just one drink, if you drink alcohol (and make it a lower cal one, not like a 'rita or something high cal)
    -Get in some extra exercise to cover the extra calories.
  • Abbaprincess
    Abbaprincess Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Great idea, walking while cheating. As long as you stay away from the deep fried oreos and twinkies you should be goodl :)
  • DarleneMarie203
    DarleneMarie203 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! For all of the great advice!:happy: I GOT THIS! :wink:
    :heart:
  • DarleneMarie203
    DarleneMarie203 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I hope! LOL! :laugh:
  • winterskykim
    winterskykim Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    definitely plot in some food before on the fitness pal and see what it will be so you may scale back or leave off cheese etc.. you have choices galore!