Squat question?????

Options
Is squatting with 30 pounds enough to see results? I've been squatting for about 3 weeks now,I started with 20 pounds but felt it wasn't enough so I added on 10 more pounds I've been doing them 5x a week 3 sets of 20 reps and 3 sets of 10 reps jumping squats. I want to build some booty lol so am I doing this right?? Btw I'm thinking about just doing it 2x a week please respond

Replies

• rileyhall00
    Options
    I have trouble with squats by themselves atm. They are getting easier.

What are your goals apart from building your butt? Loosing weight or gaining muscle? Does your diet reflect your goal as well?

Maybe switch it up a bit, 3-4 times a week and mix the weights/reps up.
    Do you have a personal trainer? Perhaps they could recommend alternative exercises to help too. Maybe Lunges?
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    What kind of squats are you doing? Dumbbell? Standard bar? Are doing jump squats with weight on your shoulders?

What are your goals? You can't actually add muscle to your butt without a calorie surplus, but losing fat will help out with the shape, so I'm guessing that's what you're after. If you're trying to lose fat, first, eat less than you burn. Then, start with a good, progressive 5 x 5 program (New Rules, StrongLifts, etc.). None of this 10 and 20 rep stuff. If you can do 20 reps, you need to go heavier.

As to your question (will 30 lbs produce results?), not really. Your body will adjust to that pretty quickly.
  • moreno89
    moreno89 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to lose weight but build my butt, i power walk or walk/run 5 times a week for an hour I'm starting to go for an hour and a half,I have no personal trainer. I'm eating small portions and I cut back on soda
  • mamasmaltz3
    mamasmaltz3 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    30 lbs is not a lot, but if that is all you can do than that is a good place to start. I like the challenge of going heavier. I'm seeing some awesome results.
  • moreno89
    Options
    What kind of squats are you doing? Dumbbell? Standard bar? Are doing jump squats with weight on your shoulders?

What are your goals? You can't actually add muscle to your butt without a calorie surplus, but losing fat will help out with the shape, so I'm guessing that's what you're after. If you're trying to lose fat, first, eat less than you burn. Then, start with a good, progressive 5 x 5 program (New Rules, StrongLifts, etc.). None of this 10 and 20 rep stuff. If you can do 20 reps, you need to go heavier.

As to your question (will 30 lbs produce results?), not really. Your body will adjust to that pretty quickly.

I do barbell I rest it on my back. I tried doing 50 but it was too heavy
  • mamasmaltz3
    Options
    Are you including the weight of the bar in your total? Or are you just counting the weight that you put on the bar?
  • moreno89
    Options
    Are you including the weight of the bar in your total? Or are you just counting the weight that you put on the bar?

Just the weights the bar is probably 5 pounds
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    Portion size doesn't matter as much as your overall intake. How many calories are you eating in a day? That's the question. Is that number lower than the amount of calories you're burning in a day? That's the other question. If you're not logging, you need to start.

If you want to lift heavy weights (and, IMO, that's the key to looking good naked, aside from diet), I'd cut back on the running. You can do it two or three times a week and probably be okay, but it's going to interfere with your progress in lifting if you're doing it 5 days a week. Recovering from heavy lifting is serious business. If you enjoy running, then have at it, but it's not necessary to lose weight, and, like I said, you won't be able to lift as much or as often.
  • socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options

Your body will get use to the new higher weight eventually. You will have to increase the weight. At some point in the future, you will handle the 50 lbs weight with no problem

Good luck in your journey

I do barbell I rest it on my back. I tried doing 50 but it was too heavy
  • moreno89
    Options
    Portion size doesn't matter as much as your overall intake. How many calories are you eating in a day? That's the question. Is that number lower than the amount of calories you're burning in a day? That's the other question. If you're not logging, you need to start.

If you want to lift heavy weights (and, IMO, that's the key to looking good naked, aside from diet), I'd cut back on the running. You can do it two or three times a week and probably be okay, but it's going to interfere with your progress in lifting if you're doing it 5 days a week. Recovering from heavy lifting is serious business. If you enjoy running, then have at it, but it's not necessary to lose weight, and, like I said, you won't be able to lift as much or as often.

I don't really want to lift heavy weights I just want my *kitten* to look good lol
  • mamasmaltz3
    Options
    I'm assuming you are lifting at home? You might weigh the bar so you know because that weight should be included in your total. Stronglifts is a great beginner program and it is a free download. You will see much better results using a some sort of progressive program that is going to walk you through and keep you on a schedule and challenging you to up your weights.
  • Naomi0504
    Naomi0504 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I use dumb bells for squats, I'm up to 35lbs in each hand. I started 4-5 weeks ago with 15's in each hand, that became easy pretty quickly. I usually do 4 sets of 12, but since I started the 35's recently, I can do 8 and then it hurts, LOL
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    progressive tension overload in the 10-12 rep range is my recommendation for a beginner.

this article should help

http://cdnutritionandfitness.com/women-should-stick-to-pink-dumbbells/
  • mamasmaltz3
    Options

I don't really want to lift heavy weights I just want my *kitten* to look good lol

If you want your butt to look good, like really, really good.....Lift some heavy weights.
  • vorgas
    vorgas Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Doing 60 reps isn't going to make your butt look good. It's just not enough weights to matter. Increase the weight by 5 lbs each time and when you can't hit all your reps, lower them by 2 per set. Do that until you're doing 3 sets of 8. 24 reps still isn't "lifting heavy". Lifting heavy is 3 to 8 reps, max. But 3 sets of 8 will def build some glutes and burn up some fat in the process.
  • __freckles__
    __freckles__ Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    You can definitely go heavier. Just don't try to do 20 reps. I started lifting 4 weeks ago and I'm now squatting 65 lbs 3x's a week. I do 5x5 @ 65 lbs with 2 warm up sets with just the Olympic bar.
  • cingle87
    cingle87 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    To build any muscle/strength inspite of diet you have to progressivly overload your muscles each time you go, this essentially just means increasing the load you put on your muscle via increase in weight or in reps. That being said 20 reps is only good for muscle endurance not building muscle or increasing strength. I will be better for you to do 3 sets of 8-12 reps with a heavier weight, if one session you can only do 8-7-6, next time you visit try to do 8-7-7 then next time 8-8-7 etc etc. once you can squat lets say 10 for each set increase the weight again, you may only be able to do 6-5-5, but each time you go increase one of the set by 1 rep.