Meeting or exceeding Macros, Not Meeting Calories...

Options
Hi All,

I like to keep track of my macros as well as calories. Lately, I have been finding that I am meeting all my macros, but I am short on calories at the end of the night. I don't want to go over on fat, sodium, or cholesterol, I don't mind going over on protein, but I am of the group "If I don't eat enough calories (~1250-1300 at least), my metabolism is going to get angry" NOTE- This point is not up for debate. It is how I feel. I'm not forcing it on anyone, just how I feel.

Should I be worried about going over on these macros? I have seen articles online that say as long as you have a caloric deficit you will lose weight. Has anyone had any experience with going over on macros, under on calories, and still losing weight in a healthy manner? Should I be eating something different?

Thanks for any thoughts and advice folks!

Replies

• surromom2010
    surromom2010 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Bump, I'm always over on protein but everything else is under.
  • lavieboheme1229
    lavieboheme1229 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I think it is good to be over on protein. I get concerned with the fact that, to meet my calorie goal, I end up going over on fat, sodium, and cholesterol. So do I just have a low calorie count, or do I not care on going over, you know?
  • lavieboheme1229
    Options
    bump
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Hi All,

I like to keep track of my macros as well as calories. Lately, I have been finding that I am meeting all my macros, but I am short on calories at the end of the night. I don't want to go over on fat, sodium, or cholesterol, I don't mind going over on protein, but I am of the group "If I don't eat enough calories (~1250-1300 at least), my metabolism is going to get angry" NOTE- This point is not up for debate. It is how I feel. I'm not forcing it on anyone, just how I feel.

Should I be worried about going over on these macros? I have seen articles online that say as long as you have a caloric deficit you will lose weight. Has anyone had any experience with going over on macros, under on calories, and still losing weight in a healthy manner? Should I be eating something different?

If you're exceeding or at your macro intake and not meeting your calorie intake then there is an entry error in your diary.

Lets assume C= grams of carbs, F = grams of fat, P = grams of protein and KC = kilocalories.

KC=4(C)+9(F)+4(P)

Mathematically, if you're consuming all of your C,F,P, it will add up to your kilocalorie totals when you multiply it out. Realistically it may be off by a few, but if it's a few hundred off, something is definitely wrong.
  • lavieboheme1229
    Options

If you're exceeding or at your macro intake and not meeting your calorie intake then there is an entry error in your diary.

Lets assume C= grams of carbs, F = grams of fat, P = grams of protein and KC = kilocalories.

KC=4(C)+9(F)+4(P)

Mathematically, if you're consuming all of your C,F,P, it will add up to your kilocalorie totals when you multiply it out. Realistically it may be off by a few, but if it's a few hundred off, something is definitely wrong.

So do you think I am under reporting calories?
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Or over-reporting macros.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I think there is at least one entry in your database that does not add up.

I will give you an example to try and better explain this. I will be making up numbers for purposes of example.

Suppose you are eating a piece of Tilapia.

Lets suppose it says:

4oz
    120 kcal
    24g protein
    2g fat
    18g carbohydrate

You will know that this entry is wrong, because:

4x24 =96
    2x9 =18
    18x4 =72

96+18+72 >> 120.

I suspect you have some entries in your journal where this is the case. OR, you are using "quick add calories" which would also throw this way off.
  • lavieboheme1229
    Options
    Thank you for your input. I will double check everything today. I always double check the calories, but not the macros. Thanks again, I had never heard of that equation before. :)
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I'm a little confused. You talk about macros, but then you talk about being over on your sodium and cholesterol, which are NOT macros. If you're going over on protein, potentially on fat, unless you're severely undereating your carbs, you should not be seriously under on calories.
  • Kara_xxx
    Kara_xxx Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    I don't want to go over on fat, sodium, or cholesterol,

Agree on the salt (subject to exercise regime) & cholesterol... but not all fats are the same. The recommended consumption of saturated fats is not more than 10% of total calories per day and 30% for unsaturated fat. More than the amount of fat, it’s the types of fat you eat that really matter.

I monitor both saturated and monounsaturates & polyunsaturates.

You might find this helpful.

http://www.helpguide.org/life/healthy_diet_fats.htm
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
  • FrugalMomsRock75
    FrugalMomsRock75 Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    This happens to me as well, and it doesn't necessarily mean there's an error! She's talking about sodium, which could be however much salt is used in product x. cholesterol, which varies a lot and doesn't rely on calories for the calculations. And fat. Some things we use (oils, particularly) are very high fat and adding it in can throw off the fat while consuming other fat free foods with calories (salads, etc). It also depends on the ratios that her account is set to.

Yesterday, I struggled to get my 1470 calories, and then I was over on protein (I'm ok with this, in fact, I TRY for this), carbs (I don't like this), fiber (I'm okay with this too and aim for it). I had only 9 calories left, but should have had at least another 9 g fat (because I'm not afraid of fat). There are days where my carbs are way low and my fat calories are way high even though I've only just reached my calories.

Of course it can happen...

OP: if you are looking to add something calorie dense while keeping the fat, cholesterol and sodium on the lower side, I'd look to fat free Greek yogurt. Personally, I don't worry about fat content.... and I too watch my cholesterol and sodium.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    You are not meeting all of your macros, you are usually more than 100 grams below your carb target (100grams of carbs = 400 calories). I would suggest you change the % of each macro to better fit your diet.

To do this go to goals, change goals, custom.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    I'm a little confused. You talk about macros, but then you talk about being over on your sodium and cholesterol, which are NOT macros. If you're going over on protein, potentially on fat, unless you're severely undereating your carbs, you should not be seriously under on calories.

I think the point was "I can eat up to my calories, but then I'll be over on these bad non-macro things, or I can meet my macros without eating all these bad things, but be under on calories".

The problem, as already covered, is that if you are meeting all of your macros every day, you pretty much HAVE to be eating all of your calories. A gram of protein is a certain number of calories, as is a gram of carbs or fat. If you hit your macros dead-on perfectly, you SHOULD be pretty much dead on in your calories, or at least within a couple of hundred calories due to rounding errors (macros are usually counted as whole numbers, but each gram of a macro is worth 4 or 9 calories).

So what if you ate something with a serving size that contains exactly 1.5 grams of fat? It would contain 13.5 calories (it'd probably list 13 or 14 calories on the label). Would it be listed as 1 or 2 grams of fat?

Even if the database entries for everything were perfect, if you ate a lot of things with small macro counts each, these rounding errors could rapidly add up. And the calories is probably a more precise and accurate measure, but you'll have to research more to find out which macro you are really short on.

Or you just ignore it if you're feeling OK and energetic, secure in the knowledge that your body is sending you feedback that you're pretty darned close.
  • Discoveri
    Discoveri Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    OP- I am in the same boat as you.

Sidesteal- good info. Thanks!
  • 10acity
    10acity Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    Bump, I'm always over on protein but everything else is under.

How do you manage that? Do you eat chicken for every meal? I don't eat a lot of meat (not a vegetarian, though) and I have a really hard time hitting my protein goal every day. Where do you get most of your protein? Just curious ;)
  • GerardMc2k13
    Options
    same i am always over my protein and sugar too but i do well
  • aetzkorn14
    aetzkorn14 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I have a really hard time keeping the sodium level down....but I have had days where I met my calorie goal but not my macros. I just recently adjusted it to see if that helps. I don't like the fact that I have a goal of 100g of protein a day regardless of a workout, but when I workout MFP up s my macros. I know it has to in a way since my calorie intake increases it just gets annoying at time.
  • bridgie101
    bridgie101 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Hi All,

Change your macros. Fat isn't poisonous. Nor are carbohydrates. In fact, they're less hard on your kidneys than protein.