Heart rate monitor - should I get one?

Options
I am still pretty new here - I've been on for about 3 weeks or so, and I noticed a lot of people use heart rate monitors when they exercise. What exactly is the benefit of this?

I have a tachycardia (rapid heart rate) so my resting heart rate is already at about 110 and exercise makes it skyrocket to the 190 range within just a couple of minutes of intense cardio. In the past, monitors at the gym have adjusted my speed or intensity down to slow down my heart rate - basically to a slow crawl (I've literally had the treadmill slow to 1.2 mph to get my heart rate back down).

Because I don't have a gym membership, I go for brisk walks around my neighborhood, do step-ups on the park jungle gym, and do various other things at home. Will a heart rate monitor really benefit me, or is it just a nice thing to have? I don't have a lot of extra money, so is there something else you would recommend I get as a tool for guaging my work outs?

Any advice or suggestions???

Replies

• RedneckWmn
    RedneckWmn Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    The heart rate monitor I have you can adjust your resting heart rate so it should still be accurate for you. Investing in one is the best thing I ever did for myself. I wear it for every workout. It's really the best way to gauge how many calories you are burning accurately. If you do decide to get one I would get one with the chest strap. Several are just watches but I'm not sure how accurate those are if it's not a constant reading of your heartbeat. Hope this helps!
  • ChubbieTubbie
    ChubbieTubbie Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I bought one so I can track calories burned, it's a more accurate estimate than gym machines or MFP's guestimate.

They have some with chest straps and some cheaper ones (mine was under $30) that are just a watch. The downside of those is that you have to constantly push the button to check your heart rate to have accurate numbers for calories burned, and you lose focus of your exercise.
  • ksavvy
    ksavvy Posts: 52
    Options
    When I first got my HRM, I used it all the time. Now I use it primarily when I try a new exercise, or when I feel like I am getting complacent, just to make sure I am still working as hard as I should be. There are so many models out there, in so many price ranges. Heart rate and calories burned are the two features I use most. I have a Polar F6 or F7.
  • ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    Yes Yes Yes Yes
  • jmmtaylor
    jmmtaylor Posts: 225
    Options
    I love mine! I would get one. Like ^ said, you should be able to adjust the user settings to change your resting heart rate and then it will use what you set up instead of going by height, weight, age... I've found that I burn more calories than what MFP calculates for me.

We moved and I lost my watch, and ended up going and buying a brand new one because I wanted my HRM back that bad (still haven't found the watch yet).
  • smuehlbauer
    smuehlbauer Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    Yes - get one.
  • kickash
    Options
    i live off of my heart rate monitor when doing cardio workouts because it depends on your goal and what you want to obtain. Fat burn zone is between 75-85% of max heart rate. Most people think you have to really push it to get the fat burn. You want at least 2 days a week of a lower heart rate work out and a couple days of high heart rate. It also helps when running long distance because I know if I push my heart rate above 90% I am going to tire out way too fast. I highly recommend one :-)
  • Rororosie
    Rororosie Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I use one of the cheaper watch ones, a MIO, and I find it very useful for gauging the intensity of my exericise. And yes I use it more when doing a new exercise. I take dance classes a lot and they tend to vary in terms of intensity. I also use the exercise bike at the gym and use it to test the accuracy of what the different models are telling me. I also use it for measuring intensity of my walks. Since it is the cheaper one it does interrupt the intensity of the exericise to check the heart rate, and it sounds like with your condition you would want a more expensive model, but overall I find this a very useful tool.
  • KatieToback
    Options
    Just to chime in...
    I purchased a watch style one and am thinking of returning it, if I accidentally bump it during my workout it resets to zero.. I did an hour of zumba this morning and when I checked at the end of the class it said I burned 100 kcal, obviously it had reset somewhere along the way. If you love your HRT can you please share the kind/where you purchased/price??? Would be very helpful.
  • Kaye8395BTS
    Kaye8395BTS Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I recommend the FT7 from Polar, I just got it and love it. I got it cheap on amazon for $73.00 versus the $100+ other places. I got the men's version because it was available at the cheap price, it doesn't make a difference because you customize it to yourself!
    I was logging my Jillian 30 Day shred at 90 calories, but when I did it with the HRM I realized I was REALLY burning 250 calories!
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    I went to the sporting goods store on my lunch break and ended up getting a MIO because it A) was cheap compared to the other ones (I don't have an extra $100 to spend) and B) came with a pedometer.

The only problem is that the HRM is a watch and I really hate things on my wrist. I can't even handle bracelets. Oh well. I guess I'll get used to it. Hopefully it helps.
  • Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options
    YES GET ONE! I have a Polar F6 and I LOVE IT! IT's the best gift my husband ever gave me and I use it everyday.
  • AnAbsoluteDiva
    AnAbsoluteDiva Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Yes
  • Ckonner
    Ckonner Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar F6 too! love it! It has the chest strap and watch - for those that didn't know. It makes me work towards a goal every workout by keeping my heart rate up to where it needs to be, but not too high. I also tend to gauge workouts on how many calories I burned during my workout. I want to spend my time exercising being productive because it's hard enough to fit in time to exercise and find that it helps determine which ones are "more bang for my time", Hope this helps!