Activity level for a teacher?

Options
This is probably a silly question but I am trying to determine my ideal calorie range. I am a teacher and I am not sure if I should consider it lightly active or moderately active. I stay on my feet the entire day and walk around my classroom, up and down the halls, ect... I am also a mom of three so I am busy when I get home as well.

I am not working out right now, I teach outside of my district so I have a commute. I leave at 6 am every morning and get home around 530. After my kids do their homework, we eat dinner and get baths it is time for everyone to be in bed.

I am not trying to lose more at this point, just keep it off. I am still losing weight so I am thinking that I need to add some calories. However, I am not sure how much? I am thinking that my activity level may be too low but I worry I am overestimating how much I do during the day.

Thanks for any help!

Replies

• _rozamu
    _rozamu Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Would love yo see people's answers to this
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I also work at a school and walk around a lot. What I did was wear a pedometer for a week, to get an idea of the average number of steps I walk a day. I average somewhere around 10,000 steps. If you average around 7500, try lightly active, but if you avg. closer to 10,000 maybe try moderately active.
  • cchardy82
    Options
    Thanks!! I didn't think of that and it is so simple :)
  • TipTopMMR
    TipTopMMR Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Get a fitbit! I am a teacher and wear mine all day. I get around 4-6K step each day at work, depending on the day.
    I am set at sedentary on MFP and typically get around 2-300 calories from my workday too.
  • Cyclingbonnie
    Cyclingbonnie Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I would actually set my profile at sedentary, and then use a the pedometer to track the actual steps you take. Then you would simple log that walking as a workout and it will add the additional calories for that day. That way when you aren't at work and are not active, you aren't eating too many calories. Good luck to you and hope you do well.
  • cchardy82
    Options
    Thanks everyone!! I am going to readjust to sedentary and use the pedometer :) That will be easy to keep up with :)