Quitting Sugar

Options

Replies

• stephv38
    stephv38 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I will tell you from my experience it was a little more than a week. Maybe 2. And I would like to tell you my personal reason at the time for doing so. I had a baby and neither she or I could get over thrush. Yeast overgrowth from breastfeeding, on nipples and in baby's mouth. We tried RX treatments, many rounds, natural treatments such as grapefruit seed extract. It wasn't until I completely eliminated sugar that the yeast overgrowth died. Yeast feeds on sugar. And I mean completely, no carrots, no ketchup etc.... And yeast is NOT a good thing to be present in high levels in your body. Neither are cancer cells which alsoare thought to feed on sugar.
    Now, I find myself with much of the same feelings of the OP. For general health and other food related issues, sugar in various forms seems to be a culprit. So, for my 2 cents. I agree. The sugar detox diet talks about weaning with green apples versus other varieties, grapefruit. I also know that fat can be a good way to provide satiety. Organic coconut butter (I like Artisana) tastes like candy but has limited sugar. I have heard L Glutaminine powder helps but have never tried it.
    you do realize the mammary glands produce milk sugar, its not the same as the sugar that you ingest.. LOL

Having breastfed several more children than you, I can say I do realize what mammary glands produce. I even can tell you that cows milk is different than breastmilk! wow! One of my children had severe blood in their stool until I eliminated dairy. Sooo.. again... personal experience here: no sugar, no yeast overgrowth. My point simply being might be cause to think about sugar intake.
  • Healthychick84
    Healthychick84 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    U should eat at least 3 to 4 servings of fruit a day! If u do this it should decrease your cravings for white sugar. The key is pairing your carbs/ sugary foods like fruits with a lean protein or a good fat. The reason people limit sugar is because it cause temporary fat storing because of the spike in insulin but when u pair it with protein or fat it allows the body the body to stay in fat burning mode. I always go over what Mfp recommends for sugar but its from natural sugars n I still lose weight.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    OP: what was your carb intake before, in grams, and what is it now, since you have been limiting sugar?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Unless you're diabetic, why would you quit sugar?

Why wait until one is diabetic to act? That is one of the stupidest and most common statements I see on MFP. News flash: type 2 diabetes is preventable. Been there, did it.

Yup, loads of people here are going to tell you "don't do it". I am going to tell you that it's literally saved my life. NO exaggeration.

Are you saying that sugar directly causes Type II diabetis?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    I will tell you from my experience it was a little more than a week. Maybe 2. And I would like to tell you my personal reason at the time for doing so. I had a baby and neither she or I could get over thrush. Yeast overgrowth from breastfeeding, on nipples and in baby's mouth. We tried RX treatments, many rounds, natural treatments such as grapefruit seed extract. It wasn't until I completely eliminated sugar that the yeast overgrowth died. Yeast feeds on sugar. And I mean completely, no carrots, no ketchup etc.... And yeast is NOT a good thing to be present in high levels in your body. Neither are cancer cells which alsoare thought to feed on sugar.
    Now, I find myself with much of the same feelings of the OP. For general health and other food related issues, sugar in various forms seems to be a culprit. So, for my 2 cents. I agree. The sugar detox diet talks about weaning with green apples versus other varieties, grapefruit. I also know that fat can be a good way to provide satiety. Organic coconut butter (I like Artisana) tastes like candy but has limited sugar. I have heard L Glutaminine powder helps but have never tried it.

How exactly does cancer feed on sugar?
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Don't listen to any ****. just quit it. For a lot of people sugar is addictive and our bodies don't need it anyway. Some addicts will defend their hit and pretend they are ok without fully understanding addiction. Some people are not affected but there is still no reason to eat it. Addicts will feel a strong emotional response if they read this to defend their use of sugar :-) If you have one then I would seriously consider quitting

op54a.jpg
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

Why wait until one is diabetic to act? That is one of the stupidest and most common statements I see on MFP. News flash: type 2 diabetes is preventable. Been there, did it.

Yup, loads of people here are going to tell you "don't do it". I am going to tell you that it's literally saved my life. NO exaggeration.

Apparently, type II diabetes is caused by eating sugar...(presumably "processed" sugar)...

...and not by obesity.

I learn something new every day on MFP.
  • RhineDHP
    RhineDHP Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options

Apparently, type II diabetes is caused by eating sugar...(presumably "processed" sugar)...

...and not by obesity.

Just wanted to pop in and say here that obesity does not cause Type II diabetes either. It is a risk factor, just like family history, ethnicity, and age.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Someone better tell the American Cancer Society that sugar causes cancer then.

Quote from them:

"Eat at least 2½ cups of vegetables and fruits each day."

Edit as I quoted the wrong post ...
  • RhineDHP
    Options
    Not so much quitting sugar OP, but if you want to learn some useful information for prevention of diabetes, then definitely go to this link:

http://www.diabetes.org/diabetes-basics/prevention/

It has everything you want to know about learning to live a healthy lifestyle to prevent Type II diabetes in your future. Good luck!
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

...and not by obesity.

Just wanted to pop in and say here that obesity does not cause Type II diabetes either. It is a risk factor, just like family history, ethnicity, and age.

But still not sugar, right?
  • RhineDHP
    Options

...and not by obesity.

But still not sugar, right?

Yes, still not sugar, you were both wrong. But that's what we're hear for, learning and throwing away misinformation and such. Or trolling and posting hilarious GIFs and whatnot. Pick your MFP poison.

Well, technically there's been research indicating a link between sugary drinks and diabetes. Where is this research? I'm sure somewhere around that site, they didn't give a link next to the statement. But then again its the American Diabetes Association, so I'll probably trust them on that one.
  • LorienCoffeeBean
    LorienCoffeeBean Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    im just going to hop skip and jump over all the posts and answer the OP

i have cut out processed sugars. i cut it out slowly as i made changes to the way i eat. i started by weaning it out of my coffee. i never limit fruits or vegetables though.
    i didnt have any of your 'symptoms' though. maybe because i weaned off it? or maybe i didnt eat as much sugar as you may to start with? who knows.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    I went cold turkey. If you cut out all carbs, except green veggies, for 2 days, then most of the sugar will be out of your body and the cravings will be gone. (Physical ones anyway)

If you can make it 48 hrs, it is much easier.

The other choice is to wean yourself off slowly. But you really need to lower your total carbs while you are trying to cut out the sugar, because breads, pastas, and other grains are turned into sugar and can spike your insulin as much as pure sugar can.

ETA, after 48 hrs, you can slowly increase your carbs, but stick to high fiber carbs for a couple of weeks at least.
  • stephv38
    Options

Quote from them:

Nope, didnt say "causes". And said, "thought to" However, this is a good reminder to me to use careful word choices in posts! For instance should have been using the term "refined sugars" as I am huge fan of veggies and fruits! :)
    Buuuut, at the risk of further offense.... I still stand by my thought that a diet high in refined sugars is just not the best choice.
    The cancer issue is certainly controversial, lots of hits can be found describing scientifically the thoughts behind both yae and nae. And here I would further show my bent by citing Michael Pollan. The Standard American Diet is without a doubt not causing us to be any healthier.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Quote from them:

Nope, didnt say "causes". And said, "thought to" However, this is a good reminder to me to use careful word choices in posts! For instance should have been using the term "refined sugars" as I am huge fan of veggies and fruits! :)
    Buuuut, at the risk of further offense.... I still stand by my thought that a diet high in refined sugars is just not the best choice.
    The cancer issue is certainly controversial, lots of hits can be found describing scientifically the thoughts behind both yae and nae. And here I would further show my bent by citing Michael Pollan. The Standard American Diet is without a doubt not causing us to be any healthier.

I would like to see studies that indicate such a risk if you have links to them. I would also be interested in how 'refined' sugars have a risk attached to them and yet fruit sugars do not. If you have any more information, that would be great.
  • stephv38
    Options

Quote from them:

I would like to see studies that indicate such a risk if you have links to them. I would also be interested in how 'refined' sugars have a risk attached to them and yet fruit sugars do not. If you have any more information, that would be great.

OK, Ill bite, Sara! Here are just a few links, I think the first one gives a fairly balanced approach. This is not really an area of my personal "knowledge" my main personal experience was really the experience of fighting a different bodily imbalance and having success with eliminating (in my case actually all) sugars for a time. Anyway, this is some interesting reading at least...

http://www.dana-farber.org/Health-Library/Sugar-and-Cancer-Cells.aspx

http://www.mnwelldir.org/docs/nutrition/sugar.htm

http://www.infowars.com/new-mri-research-reveals-cancer-cells-thrive-on-processed-sugar/

http://www.healthline.com/health-news/aging-sugar-the-reason-diabetics-are-prone-to-aggressive-cancers-080513
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    you do realize the mammary glands produce milk sugar, its not the same as the sugar that you ingest.. LOL

Having breastfed several more children than you, I can say I do realize what mammary glands produce. I even can tell you that cows milk is different than breastmilk! wow! One of my children had severe blood in their stool until I eliminated dairy. Sooo.. again... personal experience here: no sugar, no yeast overgrowth. My point simply being might be cause to think about sugar intake.

of course its different than cows milk, that doesnt change the fact it has milk sugar, I have no idea what your kid with GI bleeding has anything to do with this.
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options

Quote from them:

OK, Ill bite, Sara! Here are just a few links, I think the first one gives a fairly balanced approach. This is not really an area of my personal "knowledge" my main personal experience was really the experience of fighting a different bodily imbalance and having success with eliminating (in my case actually all) sugars for a time. Anyway, this is some interesting reading at least...

http://www.dana-farber.org/Health-Library/Sugar-and-Cancer-Cells.aspx

http://www.mnwelldir.org/docs/nutrition/sugar.htm

http://www.infowars.com/new-mri-research-reveals-cancer-cells-thrive-on-processed-sugar/

http://www.healthline.com/health-news/aging-sugar-the-reason-diabetics-are-prone-to-aggressive-cancers-080513
    those arent studies, those are links, and they are being misinterpreted. Your body will have glucose no matter what, your body will synthesize it if it has to.