What running gear should I buy?

Options
Hello everyone! Well I still consider myself a newbie runner. I have only been running for about two years now. My question today is what running gear should I be using for the fall and winter months? I really don't want a gym membership this year and want to brave it up and keep running outside the whole year. I live in central Wisconsin so it does get pretty cold. I will be providing a average temperature chart. I have only ever run in the spring, summer and beginning of fall. I need some suggestions for what shoes, tops, and bottoms. Also should I invest in the shoe slip-on for ice in the winter or do they actually make shoes for winter running? Thanks everyone!! Have a wonderful day!

http://www.usclimatedata.com/images/climate-graph/uswi0727-climate-wausau.gif

Replies

• Pinkranger626
    Pinkranger626 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Wool socks would be very helpful, and running shoes that are somewhat water resistant (i.e. not all mesh or thin cloth). I've found the neck warmer things to be helpful, a hat, gloves, and good sunglasses that won't slip help a lot too. Remember to layer properly.
    http://running.about.com/od/coldweatherrunning/a/wintergear.htm

Make sure that you pick well cleared areas to run in if there's snow.
  • Daisy471
    Daisy471 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I’m sure there are more experienced runners than myself, but I’ll take a stab at it. My first thought is layers – it will be easier to regulate your temperature. Look for clothes made of wicking material and avoid cotton. Cotton traps moisture and a wet cotton shirt against your skin on a cold day is a good way to get frostbite. What to wear is a very personal choice. My husband will run in shorts and a t-shirt when it is in the 30’s, while I am wearing pants, long-sleeved top, hat and gloves. Runner’s World has a decent guide for how to dress for certain conditions based on if you like to run cold, slightly warm, etc. With time you’ll figure out what works best for you. I have learned to make sure that I have pockets – on all but the coldest days I end up taking off my gloves. Bright colors and reflective patterns are a good idea, too.

I have never used yak trax or other anti-slip devices so I can’t give any advice there. In the winter I run in my normal running shoes if the streets/sidewalks are well maintained or wear trail shoes when there is more snow (they have better traction). I do tend to run slower and concentrate more on where I’m placing my feet.
  • RunThinLift2Tone
    Options
    I also live in Wisconisn and will run outside in anything over 15 degrees. Layers layers layers. When it is bitter cold I will wear tight wicking running pants, with another pair of looser fitting running/yoga pants over those. I wear my sports bra, a long sleeve wicking shirt that my thumbs pass through the sleeves to keep it down, on top of that I wear my very light weight spring running jacket, and on top of that I wear my Brooks floresant yellow cold weather running jacket. I think it says that jacket is good for running down to 30 degrees, but the extra thin layers under it make my running very comfortable. I wear my trail shoes when it is slushy, snowy, or icey. My normal shoes when its clear roads.

Hat, gloves, light scarf to cover my mouth and cheeks when its windy. Once you get moving, you forget about the cold and just start to feel like a bad-azz. At least I do ;) Many times I will take one of my light jackets off and tie the arms around my waist. After a time or two you will know if you need to add or remove items to match the temps.

Invest in some reflective gear or blinking lights if you will be running in the dark. Remember, it gets dark around 4pm in the winter time. Most of my running is in the dark during these months.

Don't be surprised if your pace takes a nose dive also. My pace sucks in cold weather running, almost a min/mile slower then the fall. But you need to watch your footing more and adjust to the climate.

Good Luck!
  • pobalita
    pobalita Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    For clothing, I suggest taking a look at UnderArmor's Cold Gear. It's awesome stuff. I wear a UA compression top with a regular long sleeve tech shirt and then a short sleeve tech shirt over that. Sometimes I add a light fleece jacket. These can all be taken off in layers. UA has several kinds of tights for different temperatures, too.

I'd also consider windproof gloves to keep your hands warm and a good hat or two. I have a light knit hat and a thick fleece hat for when it's colder. Again, these can be taken off if you don't need them. Some people use a scarf or cowl for their necks, but I don't.

If you have the money to spend on it, the last thing I'd suggest is a second pair of shoes and a shoe drier. Since I run a lot in the the wet, I alternate between pairs while one is drying.

As others have said - do not wear cotton!! It holds moisture and will make you much colder.
  • WaterRun2
    WaterRun2 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Thank you all of you! Everyone has been so much help. Very helpful ideas! Now time to shop. :)