Pre workout meal?

Options
Designing my own daily diet plan for lean building for a 3k calorie diet, but haven't got a clue what to have as my pre-workout meal, any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Replies

• kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    fiber one bar-oat & chocolate
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    Now I want an everything bagel with cream cheese.
  • KateK8LoseW8
    KateK8LoseW8 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I enjoy a big bowl of oatmeal with peanut butter mixed in when it's hot. Warm and gooey and delicious! Maybe some sliced banana on top if I'm feeling fancy.
  • loricshields47
    loricshields47 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Be sure to eat this meal 1-2 hours before your workout. NO carbs, save them for after. Protein and fats only. Protein macro will detirmine cals. 1-2 grams of protein per lb of bodyweight divided evenly among the number of meals you are eating in a day (4-6 minimum)
    Get the fats and proteins from foods you enjoy...cashew chicken, beef and veggies, tuna and mixed bean with ,salsa and some avacado whatever you like Recipes are easy to find and the fewer ingredients the easier to make. Use up your leftovers and plan ahead. Planning is key. Wish you lots of success building lean muscle mass
  • Klem4
    Klem4 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I workout after breakfast, so usually egg whites and cereal or Ezekiel toast w/ jam or oatmeal. sometimes also have some strawberries or a banana if I feel low on energy.
  • RhineDHP
    RhineDHP Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    Hm, if I'm going to go workout I usually eat 1 or 2 boiled eggs, and maybe a slice of toast with peanut butter on it. Of course, yesterday before hitting the gym I ate a bowl of spaghetti and meatballs, so, yeah...
  • justwanderful
    justwanderful Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I workout first thing in the morning. Coffee and a smoothie of 1%milk, 1 scoop protein powder, ice and if needed, 1/2 cup Fiber One. Mix it in the Magic Bullet and drink it during my workout.
  • loricshields47
    Options
    Be sure to eat this meal 1-2 hours before your workout. NO carbs, save them for after. Protein and fats only. Protein macro will detirmine cals. 1-2 grams of protein per lb of bodyweight divided evenly among the number of meals you are eating in a day (4-6 minimum)
    Get the fats and proteins from foods you enjoy...cashew chicken, beef and veggies, tuna and mixed bean with ,salsa and some avacado whatever you like Recipes are easy to find and the fewer ingredients the easier to make. Use up your leftovers and plan ahead. Planning is key. Wish you lots of success building lean muscle mass

What? Why? Please elaborate why these rules.
  • dicoveringwhoIam
    dicoveringwhoIam Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I do a protein shake before and after or a protein bar before followed by a protein shake.. Oatmeal when I'm tired of the other stuff.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    There is no magic meal. Generally carb loading for performance you won't see significant benefits until it has been fully digested which requires longer than an hour. Honestly, it's whatever makes you feel best. Some people can train on empty stomachs and some people NEED food or they feel sick and vice versa.

Most proteins won't digest fast enough for you to get any benefit and fats usually cause people to feel lethargic, but you will see people eat some simple sugars like a banana and/or a protein shake / bcaa's just because they digest quickly. Meal timings are largely irrelevant. I probably wouldn't eat a fiber bar... you might feel energy because of the sugar, but fiber and exercise seem like a bad mix.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options

What? Why? Please elaborate why these rules.

?
    Bro logic is strong these days.
  • loricshields47
    Options
    sorry apparently I can only edit a post within an hour...so i'll try to respond again lol
    suggsestion is based on the scientific principle optimizing hormone levels and maximum growth...
    keeping your carb intake low before your workout ensures optimal growth hormone release and increased the seotonin levels.
    The idea is to eat a well balanced meal of lean protein and slow digesting carbs ( brown rice, yams, quinoa etc) about 3 hours before your workout. This allows enough time for the for the food to leave your stomach and enter into your muscles and tissues.
    Then 1 hour before (or 30 mins) your workout consume another serving of protein - a shake now is fine (or an easily digested form of protein from egg whites or fish is fine
    It is best to avoid fats for 4 hours before your workout ( i miss spoke earlier and thank you for letting me clarify my point) and 2 hours afterwards Do this as you will be releasing a substantial amount of insulin toward the end of your workout by consuming high glycemic liquid carbs. Insulin is a storage hormone so its presence in the bloodstream is likely to be stored as fat.

After your workout your body is ready to absorb nutrients. Have a large serving of carbs as well as a large serving of protein.Fats now will slow the absorption of the nutrients..

This is also the best time to take any vitamins or nutritional supplements.
    The rest of the day eat healthy and keep the protein supply up. Your recovering muscles need it and if you don't supply it your body will steal it from other muscles.

This is the approach my husband and I follow. It is directly from the program laid out by ben pakulski ~ runner up in last years Arnold classic.

This is my offering of suggestions and advice. Take it or leave it, either way happy lifting
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Designing my own daily diet plan for lean building for a 3k calorie diet, but haven't got a clue what to have as my pre-workout meal, any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Some people do well fasted, others prefer eating something.

Ultimately, I would consider strategies that maximize performance and preference before I'd worry about any supposed rules about nutrient timing based theories.

So for example, try a piece of fruit or something else small, an hour or so before training. Try a large meal, try training fasted, etc. See which one you prefer and see how your performance is with that method. Eventually you'll settle in on something that you enjoy.

I can't think of a reason to manipulate it outside of the performance/preferential reasons.