Pear shape, heavy on legs?

Options
I am new to this community. I have been stuck with this problem for quit some time. Do I lift HEAVY for my ALREADY HUGE JIGGLY LEGS?!!!! I am starting a caloric intake of 1600 calories a day and im trying to lose weight but at the same time tone down these gigantic legs of mine. If so how many leg days should I incorporate into my weekly routine? I already lift heavy on my.upper body and have seen major improvements! :-) Thank.you in advance

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    You can't really change your body shape. If you're someone who has larger legs and hips you can certainly lose weight and strengthen muscle but you can't just rearrange your body.
  • msjackie30
    msjackie30 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    You can't really change your body shape. If you're someone who has larger legs and hips you can certainly lose weight and strengthen muscle but you can't just rearrange your body.
    [/quote

Yes im tracking that I will always be a post shape and im perfectly fine with that. Now any suggestions on.my original question if you have any?Thanks
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    You can't get rid of fat in a specific area by doing certain exercises. you can only make the muscle bigger. The only thing you can do is eat less than your TDEE and hope that some day, the fat that's on your hips and legs will eventually reduce.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    If you're going to lift, you might as well do a program that is well-rounded. Why would you only lift and work upper body? It doesn't matter that your legs are heavy NOW, as you burn off the fat, they will become leaner, and strength training will build beautiful shapely muscles to be revealed Because you are naturally pear shaped, it will take longer to see the weight loss in your legs, but it can happen. I lost weight off my chest super fast, but my legs and butt are still shrinking, months after the top half of me was done. I would suggest doing a combination of cardio and weights. I love a weekly rotation of circuit training, cardio, and lifting. Change it up and keep your body guessing:)
  • KCW37
    KCW37 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    im the same way the best thing that worked for we was to walk on the treadmill on the highest incline doesnt matter how fast your going you will build up your tolerance! also running worked for me as well i would run a quarter mile then walk a quarter mile so on and so forth usually for 30 mins it all helped :)
  • Justkeepswimmin
    Justkeepswimmin Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I do all sorts of lifts and am definitely a pear. EX: When I was heavier my waist was a 14 and thighs 18. Now that I am lighter my waste is a 2 and my thighs are a 4. (pic is more from the 4/6 combo time a year ago.)

I will always be disproportionate, however, I have found that lifting (after almost 2 years of just cardio loss) DID tighten up my thighs. They will never be toothpicks, but I do have the 'triangle' now, and a very small gap has started to work its way down from the top towards my knees. I did read that women can handle more leg days then men sometimes. I do more of a rounded 'classes' routine with insanity, group power and then some lifting on my own. However, some days will focus heavier on my quivering legs maybe 2-3 a week.
  • msjackie30
    Options
    You can't get rid of fat in a specific area by doing certain exercises. you can only make the muscle bigger. The only thing you can do is eat less than your TDEE and hope that some day, the fat that's on your hips and legs will eventually reduce.

Back to my original question, do I lift heavy or not? I know I can spot reduce thank you
  • msjackie30
    Options
    If you're going to lift, you might as well do a program that is well-rounded. Why would you only lift and work upper body? It doesn't matter that your legs are heavy NOW, as you burn off the fat, they will become leaner, and strength training will build beautiful shapely muscles to be revealed Because you are naturally pear shaped, it will take longer to see the weight loss in your legs, but it can happen. I lost weight off my chest super fast, but my legs and butt are still shrinking, months after the top half of me was done. I would suggest doing a combination of cardio and weights. I love a weekly rotation of circuit training, cardio, and lifting. Change it up and keep your body guessing:)

Maybe I should have been.more specific in my question. I.do.lift heavy on my lower body also. My question is, is that the right thing to do? Or lift using light weights, I dont want my legs bigger
  • msjackie30
    Options
    im the same way the best thing that worked for we was to walk on the treadmill on the highest incline doesnt matter how fast your going you will build up your tolerance! also running worked for me as well i would run a quarter mile then walk a quarter mile so on and so forth usually for 30 mins it all helped :)

Thank you, I may try the incline :-)
  • BarbellCowgirl
    BarbellCowgirl Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    I carry most of my fat in my legs. Not just my thighs- the entire leg. I have been lifting heavy for over a year and I am thrilled with the way it has improved my body. I have less cellulite now than I did when I was 15 lbs lighter and not lifting. I still have big thighs, but they're strong and shapely. The fact that I've maintained (and possibly added) muscle in my shoulders has helped balance my shape. Every woman can benefit from a full body heavy lifting program (I started with NROL4W).
    That's my two cents.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options

Maybe I should have been.more specific in my question. I.do.lift heavy on my lower body also. My question is, is that the right thing to do? Or lift using light weights, I dont want my legs bigger

As long as you're eating at a deficit your legs won't get bigger. People often confuse building muscle, which is actually growing new muscle tissue, and losing body fat, which reveals the existing muscle that was there under the layers of adipose tissue.
  • msjackie30
    Options

As long as you're eating at a deficit your legs won't get bigger. People often confuse building muscle, which is actually growing new muscle tissue, and losing body fat, which reveals the existing muscle that was there under the layers of adipose tissue.

Ahhhhhh thank you for that insight!! Helps
  • msjackie30
    Options
    I carry most of my fat in my legs. Not just my thighs- the entire leg. I have been lifting heavy for over a year and I am thrilled with the way it has improved my body. I have less cellulite now than I did when I was 15 lbs lighter and not lifting. I still have big thighs, but they're strong and shapely. The fact that I've maintained (and possibly added) muscle in my shoulders has helped balance my shape. Every woman can benefit from a full body heavy lifting program (I started with NROL4W).
    That's my two cents.

Thank you! That's what I want less cellulite and more shapely tight thighs even if they stay the same size u know. You know I have that book and did the program 3 years ago. But when I did it I was not eating but just 1200 calories and felt weak so I stopped becuz I didn't know much back then
  • sparkle814
    sparkle814 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I think the general consensus of what I've read as answers to similar questions on here before is that especially for women, lifting heavy won't make you bulkier if you are eating at a calorie deficit but it will tone you up, so I would go ahead and lift heavy for your legs.

I'm a pear shape too and I always lose weight first off my boobs and stomach. I've finally lost some off my hips and butt. Legs are not as cooperative, so I feel your pain!