How in the world do you cook spinach??

Options
Hello all!

Since beginning this journey, my taste buds have changes tremendously and I like spinach now. I usually eat spinach leaves instead of lettuce with a salad and love to make spinach quesadillas. :)

However, how else can I cook spinach??

Any ideas would help! Thanks!

Replies

• abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    tiny bit of olive oil, 5 thinly sliced cloves of garlic....saute briefly (to soften the garlic), then a TON of spinach on top..... even my kids love it this way.

Throw a handful of spinach into a bowl of hot lentil soup

roughly chop a bunch, saute it with lots of garlic and a handful of sliced fresh basil leaves, and stir in cooked small pasta....sprinkle with either parmesan or feta

Lightly cook some well chopped onion, mushroom and spinach, squeeze out the extra moisture. Mix with a little horseradish and light cream cheese and bake in either wonton wrappers or pastry puffs.... or crescent rolls...
  • NutritionDivaRD
    NutritionDivaRD Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I like spinach in my quesadillas, on pizza (I chop it fine and put it in with the sauce), and added to alfredo sauce over pasta. I'm sure there are many other ways to eat it! Get creative!

Hopefully you'll get several more ideas. I look forward to checking back! I'm a fan of spinach as well. :)

Oh! I also love it with scrambled eggs! DELISH!
  • sgp329
    sgp329 Posts: 184
    Options
    I like spinach in my quesadillas, on pizza

Ditto. I love the whole leaves on pizza! Also added to a wrap or sandwich in place of lettuce. YUMMMMMY!
  • Laceylala
    Laceylala Posts: 3,094 Member
    Options
    I throw it in my smoothie in the morning raw. It makes the smoothie green but you don't taste it and it is a nice little vitamin boost in the morning.

I also put a ton of it in a bowl, saran wrap the top and heat it in the microwave until it is cooked down and eat it with a bit of vinegar.
  • chelseyq7
    chelseyq7 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Check out www.skinnytaste.com for some great ideas. She has a Baked Ziti with homemade sauce included spinach... lots of other great recipes as well!
  • carlos83ra
    Options
    I cook them on the stove with olive oil and mix in either egg whites.AM or veggies and tofu.PM
  • Mangoaddict
    Mangoaddict Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    I make a spinach and potato curry with onions and cumin, turmeric. Tastes really good.
  • blondie_girl14
    blondie_girl14 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I love it sauteed with a little olive oil, garlic-then a little grated cheese(parmesean or romano) on top

I love it in spinach pie too (thats with egg)

I recommend googling spinach recipes, there are tons of things you can do with it!

:wink:
  • VballLeash
    VballLeash Posts: 2,456 Member
    Options
    I love cooked spinach! I cook mine with olive oil, garlic, currants, and pine nuts, yum! A little bit of sea salt can be added too...

~Leash :heart:
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    I add it to my fruit smoothies and vegetable smoothies - you can't really taste it and it's a great vitamin boost! I also cook it with scrambled eggs - I like the flavor it adds. Then of course I love it raw! Spinach salads are my favorite. :smile:

One more thing - regular steamed spinach mixed with some lemon and garlic (you can add garlic to the water to get just a light garlic flavor) is fantastic.
  • smuehlbauer
    smuehlbauer Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    I like to cook mine in a sautee pan, a tiny bit of oil if any, some crushed garlic, s & p, toss as it wilts
    That's it.
  • udallmom101
    udallmom101 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I like to cook mine in a sautee pan, a tiny bit of oil if any, some crushed garlic, s & p, toss as it wilts
    That's it.
    That is exactly how I do mine, except I like heat so I add some red pepper flakes. It is delicious!
  • smuehlbauer
    smuehlbauer Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    That's it.
    That is exactly how I do mine, except I like heat so I add some red pepper flakes. It is delicious!

I'll have to add some next time.
    Thanks!
  • ginaasktek
    Options
    I primarily use spinach with mushrooms in place of meat for a great lasagna! It just wilts and melds perfectly. I also use it to replace lettuce on homemade lean burgers, in sandwiches, and in turkey meatball "wedding soup". You can also chop it and use it in meatballs themselves, and in meatloaf.
  • suzyanne
    Options
    tiny bit of olive oil, 5 thinly sliced cloves of garlic....saute briefly (to soften the garlic), then a TON of spinach on top..... even my kids love it this way.

Throw a handful of spinach into a bowl of hot lentil soup

roughly chop a bunch, saute it with lots of garlic and a handful of sliced fresh basil leaves, and stir in cooked small pasta....sprinkle with either parmesan or feta

Lightly cook some well chopped onion, mushroom and spinach, squeeze out the extra moisture. Mix with a little horseradish and light cream cheese and bake in either wonton wrappers or pastry puffs.... or crescent rolls...

Wow!! Some of these sound delish!!! I must try! :)
  • tater8589
    tater8589 Posts: 616
    Options
    I like to open a can of spinach and add lime juice (im allergic to lemons) and some salt then microwave for a min... so good.
  • lanty
    lanty Posts: 2
    Options
    Haven't read all of the replies, so I apologise if it's a repeat... I like to put raw leaves into an omelette just prior to folding and serving. By the time the plate reaches the table the spinach is nicely wilted.