Most annoying things people assume.

Replies

• fannyfrost
    fannyfrost Posts: 756 Member
    1- That I am stuck up because I am shy
    2- that the only way to lose weight is to not eat
    3- That because my daughter is thin she can eat unhealthy food and its OK
    4- That because I am mom, I drive a minivan
    5- that because I am a woman I need help carrying things (note they never offered to help me carry the 50 lb sleeping child, but the 2 lb box is way too heavy)
    6- A woman is not as smart and should not be in charge (I really get a lot of that with the guys I work with, but many of the bosses are women, I don't get it)
    7- that a working mom is missing time with their child or the kid is not as happy because mom works
    8- that a woman who chooses to be a stay at home mom is sitting around on her butt all day or isn't capable of working
    9- that because I am a geek I don't know how to be stylish or be social
  • That fat girls CANNOT get a man or get married or have a good sex life

Being overweight doesnt always mean youre ridden with health issues and skinny doesn't always mean youre healthy

Just because Im losing weight NOW doesnt mean I am having an affair on my husband and/or it doesnt mean that Im dying of some deadly illness

Co workers ask me if my hubby is african american because black men are "chubby chasers"...omg people are so damm rude!
    My hubby is mexican american and if my hubby was african american--what of it!!
  • pseudomuffin
    pseudomuffin Posts: 1,058 Member
    I'm engaged to a man twice my age so I must have "daddy issues" -- No!! I've just always liked older men and I have a very good relationship with my father, who really likes my fiancé, than you VERY much.

I play video games and tabletop RPGs but I'm obviously "faking it for attention" :huh:

I can't shoot because I'm a woman (but then I out shoot every man on the public bay at the shooting range) and UGH I can't stand that "there there little lady that's an awful big gun for you" attitude... damn it I wouldn't carry this freaking heavy 1911 in my purse every day if I couldn't handle a .45!

I'll echo everyone else on the "stuck up because I'm shy" one too. I'm a really quiet person IRL unless I know you really well.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    That I am intimidating because I am blunt when responding to questions and talk down to stupid people.

I am actually very friendly.

Naw you're just an *kitten* :smokin:
  • djeffreys10
    djeffreys10 Posts: 2,312 Member
    That because In wear cowboy boots and wranglers every day, drive a 15 year old Z71 on the weekends, wear a cowboy hat, pearl snap and belt buckle on the exceedingly rare occasion that I go out to a bar, speak with a slow southern drawl, speak "southern-ese" rather than proper English, and live out in the boondocks, that I must be an uneducated hick.

Yes, I am a redneck. I am also an electronics engineer, and technically, a rocket scientist.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    That I shouldn't speak properly because I'm black or that I sound "too white." What an ignorant statement. I am an English teacher. I don't know how people expect me to talk. I get a lot of this in Detroit. Very annoying!
  • mspoopoo
    mspoopoo Posts: 500 Member
    overweight means lazy unhealthy dumb smelly poor not worth talking to
    that I need to be reminded I'm fat. thank you. I know.
  • toscarthearmada
    toscarthearmada Posts: 382 Member
    PCOS is a death sentence and "I cannot lose weight at all because of my PCOS."

Bull. I've lost 101 pounds with it, low carb is the only way to do it! Sounds like a bunch of excuses to me!

Also, just because I lost 101 pounds in 16 months that I've done it unhealthy. If unhealthy is diet and exercise...I don't know what to tell you.
  • mank32
    mank32 Posts: 1,323 Member
    that no one as young- and healthy-looking as me could suffer from debilitating chronic pain--i must be making it up for attention. :mad:
  • AllyCatXandi
    AllyCatXandi Posts: 329 Member
    1. That my hairstyle is a reflection of my sexual orientation.
    2. That I'm constantly in a bad mood because of my default expression.
    3. That I'm 'naturally' good at things as I don't broadcast how much effort I put into them.
  • ThatOperaGirl
    ThatOperaGirl Posts: 138 Member
    Another assumption about quiet people that drives me nuts ... please don't assume that just because I'm not talking as much as everybody else it's because I'm shy and afraid to speak. Bonus annoying points if you try to "help" me "come out of my shell" by constantly telling me it's okay to talk and I shouldn't worry about sharing my thoughts. I am perfectly happy to participate in a conversation by listening to what others are saying, and only weighing in with my own opinion when I think what I have to say is interesting and relevant. Talking for the sake of talking feels bizarre to me.

And as a classically trained singer, it gets really annoying when people assume that because I sing classical music and "take singing lessons", I'll be fine with belting out a set of pop or rock songs for a concert/party/wedding reception/whatever. It doesn't work like that. The reason contemporary singers have a different sound to classical singers is because they sing with a different technique, and I don't have enough interest in performing contemporary music to train in that style. (And while I'm on the topic of singer grievances -- if you want me to sing classical repertoire at your function then no, I won't be happy to "just sing along with a backing track", yes, I will need to have a pianist there to play live accompaniment, and yes, you will need to pay the pianist, too. ARGH.)
  • griff7809
    griff7809 Posts: 611 Member
    Because I'm in the military, I MUST know everybody in the miltary.
  • Kr1ptonite
    Kr1ptonite Posts: 789 Member
    Because I lost a lot of weight so many assume I had surgery to do it. Nope I busted my *kitten* day in day out 7 days a week, all by myself to get here.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    1)Because I'm tall and physically look like a football player = I must be athletic and play football! This is usually followed asking me what position I played. I never played football and if you take the clothes away, I am definitely not athletic. :laugh: though I am working on it.

2) This is usually coming from people who are not nerds/geeks themselves but many people are genuinely surprised to find out I'm a geek/nerd at heart. I guess they are expecting a sports jock/fan kind of a guy and are surprised when a physically looking "football" type a guy is a geek. I am into sports but very, very few. I am mainly just a soccer fan.

3) When I was much closer to 500 lbs, people assumed I was Chamorro/Pacific Islander and not Latino and were surprised to hear me speak Spanish.

4) Offline I'm a bit shy. Takes a while for me to open up and talk to new people I meet, especially girls I like and/or find attractive. :blushing: People assume I'm stuck up, mean, anti-social. My physical size doesn't help either. I've been told by friends I give off a "Don't F with me vibe" at times. It's annoying but I also take blame since I'm not helping myself with my shyness.
  • RN514
    RN514 Posts: 1,107 Member
    That because In wear cowboy boots and wranglers every day, drive a 15 year old Z71 on the weekends, wear a cowboy hat, pearl snap and belt buckle on the exceedingly rare occasion that I go out to a bar, speak with a slow southern drawl, speak "southern-ese" rather than proper English, and live out in the boondocks, that I must be an uneducated hick.

Yes, I am a redneck. I am also an electronics engineer, and technically, a rocket scientist.

Love the pearl snaps, buckles & boots :)

1) People assume I'm a narrow minded, uneducated hick when they find out I live in Alabama. No. I can go from a redneck to a classy/proper southern belle in 2 seconds.

2) "You're too young...go get my nurse." Sweetheart, I am your nurse.

3) People assume that since I'm so nice & friendly that means they can walk all over me. No.
  • I am still trying to lose the hanging belly from my pregnancy 14 years ago (It's slightly getting better with weight loss) and some people ask me when I am due. Hate that!

Assuming because I am a stay at home Mom now for last 3 yrs that I am lazy. Truth is I do more stuff now for this family then I did working full time.

Assuming I hate my life. I love being a stay at home Mom for my teen.

Assuming because I am a Christian I am automatically a bigot, narrow minded person. Jesus wasn't and neither am I.
  • KayLasMack
    KayLasMack Posts: 85 Member
    That all fat women from the south can cook.
  • Because I am quiet, I guess people assume they can walk all over me or call me names when I am out walking. Yeah I am out exercising and it would make YOUR life so much better by calling me names????

People assume because my husband is quiet he is mentally retarded or stupid. No he is just quiet and does not feel the need to talk all the time.
  • asgard825
    asgard825 Posts: 1,516 Member
    interest
  • snejkaxo
    snejkaxo Posts: 91 Member
    Most annoying thing on MFP: Just because I don´t add "300-400 Quick Added Calories" to my diary every day for all miscellaneous small snacks and supplements that I eat, I get a lecture in my PM inbox almost weekly about "starvation mode". I wish there would a setting to have an entry added to the diary by default, every day. Coming to think of it, I think I can get around it by creating my own "food" entry that I can quickly pick from the most commonly used. Bingo!

In real life:
    - Just because I´m under 5´, I can´t lift things. I just started kickboxing two weeks ago, and the trainer keeps giving me 5 lbs disc when we do warm up, when all other women get 10-15 lbs. I keep switching it to 10 myself.
    - Just because I´m into fitness, people assume that I like watching sports. I don´t. It´s boring as hell
    - Just because I smile and being friendly, people assume I´m flirting
    - Just because I look at things, sales people assume I want to buy everything in the store
    - Just because I am a yoga enthusiast, people assume I´m a tree hugger
    - Just because I have an anime background on my desktop, people assume I´m a geek. I´m a nerd people, a NERD. LOL