weekend???whats the way to get around it….

Options
I eat good over the week. somehow in my mind, forever the weekend means time to be free and do what you want to do. When I am trying to lose weight, it feels like time to eat what i want. I tell myself " oh, you have been good for last 4 days, may be little this won't hurt. Its weekend anyway?"

Do you feel the same way, what are some of the ways to get over weekend without ruining your efforts?

Pleas share.

Take care

Replies

• MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Time travel?

Or, just apply the same level of discipline and rules that you use all week long.... Either way.

ETA: Or don't deprive yourself all week to the point you feel the need to binge on the weekend. That one may work for you.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    logging religiously is what gets me through it.

I AM more likely to "let" myself go over in some categories and/or my cal count on a random Sat than I would be Mon-Thurs. But I still stick with it on weekends. I try to plan days ahead as much as I can. If I KNOW we're going out to lunch I'll pre-log and plan a really light & healthy breakfast and light dinner too.

I know it's hard sometimes. It helps me that my fiancé is also a healthy/light eater so he's doing the same thing pretty much, even though he doesn't use MFP
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    I have found being less restrictive with my diet during the week keeps me from binging on the weekends. My choices aren't usually QUITE as good because we tend to be out and about on the weekends, but I don't have issues with overeating or eating a ton of junk. In fact, filling my weekends with activity often leads me to eat less calories than during the week because I'm not in my normal routine of eating 5 to 6 times a day.
  • Jaided35
    Options
    I have no weekends. LOL I treat every day the same.
  • KateK8LoseW8
    KateK8LoseW8 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Well, I include ice cream, peanut butter, pudding, and other delicious treats in my usual diet so I don't feel so compelled to have "bad" things on the weekends. I have supposedly "bad" things all week, I just budget for them. I don't really eat much differently on the weekends. Might go out to a restaurant, but I plan it ahead of time, look up the nutritional information the day before, and eat accordingly the next day.
  • jen_zz
    jen_zz Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Lots and lots of water and hot tea helps personally.
  • ladynocturne
    ladynocturne Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I exercise a lot more the day of or save a few hundred during the week so I can have some extra food or booze, especially if I know I'm going to be spending time out with friends, which I only do once a month or so.

I busted my *kitten* at the gym today and have an extra 500 calories JUST for alcohol tonight. hells yeah.
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Sundays are my worst days since that's my rest day. Are you meeting your weekly goal? If so, then going over a day or two is fine. Last week, I was over my calories on Wednesday, Thursday and Sunday BUT I was 461 under for the week PLUS the deficit already built in to MFP, so really I was at a 2,211 deficit for the week. I consider that a success. I am still on track. :)
  • JustAnotherGirlSuzanne
    Options
    I've noticed that if I watch my breakfast calories than I'm less likely to overeat. For example, if you eat two whole fried eggs it's 186 calories (according to MFP) and even less if they're boiled. They keep you full too so if you do eat a burger at lunch it's okay because you've budgeted for it.
  • ThatOperaGirl
    ThatOperaGirl Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I don't really get the whole "weekdays = discipline, weekends = treat time" mindset. If I want a treat on Wednesday and it fits into my nutrition plan, then I'll have a treat on Wednesday. If I'm grabbing lunch at a restaurant with a friend on Saturday and I know I have to keep an eye on my calories because I didn't make it to the gym that morning, I'll choose a lean protein with salad or vegetables as a side, just like I would have done on a weekday. I'm yet to find a restaurant that doesn't have at least one menu option that doesn't put me over all my macros in one hit. My body works in the same way on the weekend as it does during the week, so why wouldn't I fuel it in the same way?

I find that balancing any treats I might be craving over the week in the same way that I balance my calories and macro intake over the week is really helpful in keeping me on track, and overall means that I rarely get those mind-consuming junk food cravings I used to have before I started using MFP.

I've had three weekend "blowouts" in the past six months or so. Two were for family members' 21st birthday celebrations and one was an end-of-semester potluck dinner party. I made sure I ate a little lighter and hit the gym a little harder in the days around them, and none had any great effect on my weight. In my mind, a food-centric celebration for something important and infrequent is a fair enough reason for a food splurge; "it's Saturday night!" is not.
  • greenmm25
    greenmm25 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Well, I include ice cream, peanut butter, pudding, and other delicious treats in my usual diet so I don't feel so compelled to have "bad" things on the weekends. I have supposedly "bad" things all week, I just budget for them. I don't really eat much differently on the weekends. Might go out to a restaurant, but I plan it ahead of time, look up the nutritional information the day before, and eat accordingly the next day.
    YUP!
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,654 Member
    Options
    Every day is "treat day" with a nice big helping of my favorite yummy food. It's built into my calories for the day... or if I'm over calories that day, I run like a dog for it. WOOF.
  • annie7hudds
    annie7hudds Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I have cut down the booze to weekends only. So that is my only dietary change for the weekend..

Plan to go out to the pub later in fact :)

However, this morning I have a longish run planned - so that should earn me enough calories for a couple of glasses of wine.

Can't be perfect all the time :)
  • rwstoneman1
    rwstoneman1 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    The way I do it is log EVERYTHING, even if you overindulge! Its not nice seeing a big red number telling you you've been a fatty! I find it to be good motivation not to overeat - although there is no harm in having a little indulgence in your life - I've lost over 50 lbs so far and I still have a bit of chocolate or a pie every now and again! This is a lifestyle change, and we can't just change overnight! Always take small steps, and never feel like you are depriving yourself and you should find it a little easier to meet your calorie goals! Good luck! :D
  • morticia16
    morticia16 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I don't have this weekend problem. During the weekend I enjoy preparing good meals. I find it much more annoying during the week with my busy schedule and long working hours when I am dependent on quick fix solutions for many meals. These tend to be less healthy than those that I prepare on my own.

ETA: I also don't feel I need to deprive myself of anything. I eat all things that I enjoy. But then again, I never really enjoyed fast food and other fattening, highy processed foods. My vice is chocolate and ice cream. And a glass of a delicious red. But that's healthy, anyway :)
  • paleojoe
    paleojoe Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    logging religiously is what gets me through it.

100% agree with this.

I used to only track monday thru friday. It was only until I tracked ALL days that I was able to be more accountable and not so oddly enough, the "last 10lbs" finally came off.
  • igotabulletproofheart
    Options
    I'll probably get virtually slapped by some people for saying this but decrase your calories moreso than you do on week days. Like, if you're eating 1200 calories then go down to 1000 calories because that way you know you absolutely have to stick to your calorie limit, but at the same time you absolutely know you will snack on something you shouldn't and so you have those 200 calories for that very moment.

On the other hand, work out some! If you have the time to binge eat, then you have the time to work out. :bigsmile:
  • paleojoe
    paleojoe Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I treat every day the same. I eat what I want, whatever day of the week. I just make it fit.

This too... this process does not have to be torture. Whatever you choose to eat, just make it fit.